• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

Let's share thoughts/pics of Shoreline

#31956 3 years, 3 months ago
First time for me to Shoreline and the area. Went early to scope out on Thursday. Walked around a bit. Watched set up backstage. Rode around clumsily on the employee "Google" bikes. And was told by the cashier that there would be no vending, or Shakedown St.!! I was stupified and doubted they would be able to hold back 15,000 Deadheads. Friday lot thought was pretty lame with multiple warnings about vending and boozing. The spotty weather also may have had something to do with it. Show started with some sound issues with John's vocals and guitar. Bass mix was also a bit off. By "Bertha" things seemed to have been corrected. Really tight playing and great sound from then on. The set was really hot from "Cumberland" on for me. Great closer with Bobby ripping some signature "ri-iiiide" and "ha's" in "Bucket."

Second set ripped all the way through, with barely a moment to catch a breath. The "Eleven" came in nicely with some anticipation holding the crowd to the brink of frenzy. The "Morning Dew" was especially on fire as John wailed and brought the climax of the song to the point of blowing the big top off. Definitely the highlight of Friday for me. Even the quick paced "Touch" encore was energetic. Great crowd. Really into it all night. The rains came down and I sat listening to some 82' Frost Theatre while the lot slowly emptied out.

Saturday was another scene altogether for me. Why I love this music and community. A different experience from night to night. The lot was bigger and there seemed to be an energy in the air. The weather also much better. Made a ton of friends at the hotel already leading up to the show. Though the lot was still on the lame side, I still enjoy watching all of the people, families, pets and kids. Lots of smiles, hugs, and good vibes. Still not like it used to be. I wish there was more vending these days. More creativity, and individualism. Still a good time. Went in, chatted with some security, which I thought was very friendly inside. No hassle at the door either. Very respectful. Seemed the staff was more worried about the Linkin Park show the next day. Passed, begrudgingly on the garlic fries and funnel cones and sat down. Met some more wonderful people around me, and chatted up the nearest security guy, who also happened to be a "Deadhead."

"Truckin" opened and was a hot one. People were on every verse with "New Speedway," which was nice to see and hear. A lively "China>Rider too." Funny point in the 1st set was Bobby having no idea where he was in the set, and picking up the wrong guitar apparently for the wrong song!! Phil and Jeff were laughing, then the crowd, and finally Bobby laughing and turning red with embarrassment. My biggest highlight was the "WRS>Eyes." Lot of jams and noodling in there. "Wheel" and a lengthy "Shakedown" was also pretty awesome. Had a feeling "Shakedown" was coming as the envelope filter came on towards the end of "Wheel." Crowd in a frenzy at this point. Fun "Scarlett>Fire" too. Just wished "Fire" was longer. My only gripes about Saturday, and I'd love to hear your thoughts to, were that "Reuben" and "Loose Lucy" seemed to be an energy down moment in a time that the first set could've really been special. Also, the "NFA" was really short with seemingly no one doing the "you know our love will NFA" chant at the end. Maybe Phil came out too early, but the NFA seemed like an afterthought. Disappointing cus I love the chant, bringing them back on stage. Lastly, "Saturday Night" encore seemed way predictable. Great show overall, but would've liked a few more surprises. I do have to say though, that I love the kind folks out west. Some of the nicest, considerate, approachable, and genuine people I've ever met on tour. Laid back, real people. Love it! Look forward to more madness soon. See ya all furthur on down the road!! Much love and peace..... (And now your thoughts, observations and pics please!)
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by gratefulpanda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kmhpsu, Terrapin Sedation, DeadHead420
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: Let's share thoughts/pics of Shoreline

#32263 3 years, 3 months ago
Nice pics, looks like you had really good seats.

I hear what you're saying about creativity and individualism. One of the best things about tour was the wild people and things that were there. It was a festival of freakiness.

Its not that there's none left, but the numbers have dwindled.

Its almost like there's less of the wonderful freaks, and less of the drunken party crashers that could care less about tour, and are there just because of the name and the big party.

Quality over quantity?
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Sandpiper
Fresh Boarder

#32272 3 years, 3 months ago
Agree with almost everything Panda has stated. Saw numerous people get tickets for drinking beer. Security guards would warn to pour beers into a cup, but some folks with plastic cups were still ticketed by police. For those of us that used the plastic cup approach unhindered, it seemed an irritable waste of plastic, money, and effort. Why promote more trash?

The music was transcendent out at Shoreline. The lawn was beautiful, and the air, electric. Mountain View itself may not be the greatest, but when the heads settled in and connected and got comfortable, it was a magical place--only wish we had 3 nights out there.

Good ear on the end of Wheel Panda--I definitely heard that Envelope Filter kick on and there was no sense of an "Estimated Prophet" coming, so that left few options but Shakedown in my mind. I like Estimated, but feel it would have made the set sound a bit more predictable, at least on paper, which may deter some listeners.

Now I found "Reuben & Cherise" and "Loose Lucy" to be excellent choices that showcased Furthur's wonderfully mellow yet strong sound. Granted, part of my excitement stemmed from thinking that Reuben was about to be "Built to Last." My ears heard a familiar line, but, as is often the case, Furthur defied my expectations. Plus, the Envelope Filter towards the end of Reuben is quite nice, and the mellow groove reminiscent of Terrapin (to my ears) which then just dissolves into one of the funniest song endings I've heard (when did space start? haha).

Furthur is certainly not the Grateful Dead, and they aren't some faded image of what once was--they have crafted a wonderful new interpretation of the music we all hold so dear. Their distinct sound forces me to rethink my notions of setlists. I for one don't care. I like their take on everything; for instance switching Jerry verses, and the new phrasing of certain lines I try to sing along with, expecting utter conformity. I may recognize the songs, the names, the changes, but the music is new.
Don't forget to live--go--communicate. Give yourself love and pour it into others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gratefulpanda
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

#32438 3 years, 3 months ago
Sandpiper wrote:
Agree with almost everything Panda has stated. Saw numerous people get tickets for drinking beer. Security guards would warn to pour beers into a cup, but some folks with plastic cups were still ticketed by police. For those of us that used the plastic cup approach unhindered, it seemed an irritable waste of plastic, money, and effort. Why promote more trash?

The music was transcendent out at Shoreline. The lawn was beautiful, and the air, electric. Mountain View itself may not be the greatest, but when the heads settled in and connected and got comfortable, it was a magical place--only wish we had 3 nights out there.

Good ear on the end of Wheel Panda--I definitely heard that Envelope Filter kick on and there was no sense of an "Estimated Prophet" coming, so that left few options but Shakedown in my mind. I like Estimated, but feel it would have made the set sound a bit more predictable, at least on paper, which may deter some listeners.

Now I found "Reuben & Cherise" and "Loose Lucy" to be excellent choices that showcased Furthur's wonderfully mellow yet strong sound. Granted, part of my excitement stemmed from thinking that Reuben was about to be "Built to Last." My ears heard a familiar line, but, as is often the case, Furthur defied my expectations. Plus, the Envelope Filter towards the end of Reuben is quite nice, and the mellow groove reminiscent of Terrapin (to my ears) which then just dissolves into one of the funniest song endings I've heard (when did space start? haha).

Furthur is certainly not the Grateful Dead, and they aren't some faded image of what once was--they have crafted a wonderful new interpretation of the music we all hold so dear. Their distinct sound forces me to rethink my notions of setlists. I for one don't care. I like their take on everything; for instance switching Jerry verses, and the new phrasing of certain lines I try to sing along with, expecting utter conformity. I may recognize the songs, the names, the changes, but the music is new.

Well said. I love that you also caught the envelope towards the end of "Wheel!" I too was also ready for a "Built to Last." It is a wonderfully strange thing for me at times, because the Grateful Dead is so dear to my heart. The scene, community, music, and love. I sometimes expect to see mutations of the Dead with set lists and songs. But then again, Furthur is an extension of what they started and created. Parallel in so many ways, but yet so beautifully different too. I can listen to a live Furthur recording and know right away it's this incarnation. A certain style and sound. And though it is outlined the same way, it is uniquely also their own. All I know is that I hope this feeling doesn't end soon, because what we are seeing is something special unto it's own... Peace....
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#32443 3 years, 3 months ago
my 1st Furthur shows... last time i saw Phil and Bob it was 17 years ago and the fat man was still alive and kickin'.

i really enjoyed both shows at shoreline, but preferred june 3rd. deal --> other one in the 1st set was quite hot... the cumberland was excellent... and the 2nd set was just splendid... help-->slip-->franklins-->st.stepehen-->eleven to open and playin-->uncle john's-->dew-->uncle john's-->playin reprise to end... that's sweet!

i'm very thankful that the weather held out, but i had my GAKbrella just in case.

i can't say that i came away with the same amazing "exuberance" i had after my first GD show on 10/26/85, but i had a lot of fun and am looking forward to hitting more shows in eugene and monterey.

micsandGAK_2011-06-09.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by .
Annie
Fresh Boarder

#32606 3 years, 3 months ago
Hey Panda, thanks for the post!

I had a great time both nights. I would agree that Friday, the second set was incredible, I was hoping for an Eleven on the way down to the show earlier that day, and The Mountain Song is my new favorite, so that was pure bliss. I had a blast!

Saturday the feeling in the air was more electric. Hearing Furthur bust All Over Now was fun and exciting. We made it down to the front aisle (between section 101 and 102) on John's side at the same moment as the line "she came in through the bathroom window". Everyone around us was cool and let us enjoy being next to them, sharing their space. We spent the rest of the show down there with an awesome view and an awesome sound. I danced my ass off and even danced with the security guy for a bit! The Wheel was HOT and Shakedown as well. I also thought the Not Fade Away was cut short. My chanting got cut off...I figure maybe it was near curphew, not that I was watching the clock...anyway, great times!

Can't wait for Eugene and Monterey (for sure) maybe more!
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#32608 3 years, 3 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
my 1st Furthur shows... last time i saw Phil and Bob it was 17 years ago and the fat man was still alive and kickin'.

i really enjoyed both shows at shoreline, but preferred june 3rd. deal --> other one in the 1st set was quite hot... the cumberland was excellent... and the 2nd set was just splendid... help-->slip-->franklins-->st.stepehen-->eleven to open and playin-->uncle john's-->dew-->uncle john's-->playin reprise to end... that's sweet!

i'm very thankful that the weather held out, but i had my GAKbrella just in case.

i can't say that i came away with the same amazing "exuberance" i had after my first GD show on 10/26/85, but i had a lot of fun and am looking forward to hitting more shows in eugene and monterey.

Tsquare, thank you so much for taping the shows, I was about 15 feet to your left the first night an was very excited to see the tapers braving the weather. I thought the first night was more than I could ask for set wise and the boys seemed to be havin a great time going Furthur. Still think Morning Dew might very well be the highlight of my Furthur shows thus far. So many honorable mentions I don't know where to start: Other Ones, Deal, Stephen, Eleven, I won't even go on it was a grate weekend with grate people that I hope to see Furthur down the road.
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#32789 3 years, 3 months ago
bmp
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#32824 3 years, 3 months ago
thanks TSquare! I have been enjjoying the heck out of your recording. Sounds great.
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

#32866 3 years, 3 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:

yes, yes! thanks you Tsquare for putting the show up on Archive so quickly. a really great recording too. i actually prefer aud recordings because i like to actually hear the crowd, and relive the moment being in the crowd. i can close my eyes and feel like i'm there again. i don't want to miss, even a second of the actual show. was wondering two things about that night, regarding your recording. first: did someone bump into your mic at one point? i thought i heard a thud, then a "sorry" from someone. second: did you at all catch bobby messing up and picking up the wrong guitar and not knowing where he was in the set? it was a hilarious moment and everyone down in front, including phil and jeff, were cracking up. do you normally catch those subtleties within the show?

anyway, thanks again. see you furthur on down the road. look forward to more!!
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds