• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
pink11
Platinum Boarder

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK KEROUAC!

#314757 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I'm finally reading ON THE ROAD and discovered JK died right in town I live in and hung out in our local bars. I just thought to google his birthday and it is TODAY.
So Happy Birthday Jack!
Thanks for sharing your amazing stories and giving us a glimpse of hanging out with Neal Cassady!

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

Jack Kerouac
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, the highway terror, Equinox, skidoo, SunshineSue, Strider1, HogBackHead
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK KEROUAC!

#314762 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Happy Birthday Jack Kerouac !
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pink11
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#314763 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Happy Birthday, Jack!! Thanks for taking us all on the road with you!
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#314767 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I'll have apple pie.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, pink11
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#314774 4 months, 2 weeks ago
i got turned on to the beats by my brother quite young, so i cant even remember when i first read him, probably, 12-13, i remmeber diggin the book starting with him tree sitn in washington(for the forrest service, looking out for wildfires)
even to this day when i read it i think, "someday i might dig doin that myself"
the hermit life suits a stony fellow.
i dug William S. Burruoghs, as well as a few others whom names now are lost to my brain.
but Burroughs is in my top 3 fav. authors today. why Naked Lunch is his best known work ill never know, vertually ever other book he wrote is better, and i dig N.L. !
it just takes like 10 reading before you realize he is switching between like 3 or more stories at once, with no puntuation, or indication that its not all some train of thought drivel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, pink11
HogBackHead
Junior Boarder

#315236 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Sal and Dean never found the infamous elder Moriarty in Denver.

As you read it, you can almost see Neal Cassady running through the streets of Denver as a youngster trying to escape the nightmare of the Larimer Street flop houses he grew up in.

Interestingly, in real life Kerouac never boarded the bus ala his crazy pal Cassady

Thank you, Jack.
HogBackHead
Junior Boarder

#315237 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Forest service job from The Dharma Bums, another classic. That story too somehow stuck with me. Him sitting up there, above treeline in some windy one room outpost writing stories.

Recommended reading: The Town and The City, his first novel before all the Beat Generation stuff that he ended up running away from after On The Road was published and he became a folk hero. Drove the dude to drink and die way too young. Sort of like another of our heroes by the name of Gerome Garcia, only by a different substance. Garcia dug Kerouac too.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#315239 4 months, 2 weeks ago
HogBackHead wrote:
Forest service job from The Dharma Bums, another classic. That story too somehow stuck with me. Him sitting up there, above treeline in some windy one room outpost writing stories.

Recommended reading: The Town and The City, his first novel before all the Beat Generation stuff that he ended up running away from after On The Road was published and he became a folk hero. Drove the dude to drink and die way too young. Sort of like another of our heroes by the name of Gerome Garcia, only by a different substance. Garcia dug Kerouac too.

I thought you were referring to Pigpen.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
HogBackHead
Junior Boarder

#315394 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Yea, Pig was never long for this earth. Just wanted to "ball that jack and drink his wine". Or something like that. Always appealed to the Bay Area biker crowd (ie. East Palo Alto and surrounds), circa 1968-1970.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#315442 4 months, 2 weeks ago
William Burroughs son, wrote a book about being a speed junkie.
which is ironic, cause is fathers fist book, Junkie, is about being a herione junkie, and the two types of addiction are so different.

all a matter of taste, but i could never see the appeal of going days without sleep. i LOVE sleeping.
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds