• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

2014 Winter Olympics at Sochi

#305594 8 months, 3 weeks ago
The first events of the 2014 Winter Olympics are underway! The opening ceremony isn\'t until tomorrow, but the games have already started, including the qualifying rounds in the Ladies\' moguls and Men\'s snowboarding. Too bad Shawn White has already dropped a couple of events, I knew he shouldn\'t have cut his hair!! I\'m excited that our local ice dancers, Davis and White, are going for the gold after winning silver in 2010. Go home town athletes!!

I actually enjoy the Winter games even more than the Summer ones. There\'s more interesting sports to watch. Especially my personal favorite, curling!! Yep, every four years I brush up on the rules of the game ( ), and start rooting for the US to upset the Brits or Swedes. It\'s exciting stuff!! Where\'s Terrapin Sedation when I need him, he\'ll back me up on this one, it\'s a great sport!!

Enjoy the games, folks!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror, 23atwell, pink11
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

Re: 2014 Winter Olympics at Sochi

#305595 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Just in case you want to hop on the bandwagon, here's a link to a viewer's guide to curling. The competition starts on the 10th, and the US teams need all the support they can get to beat those darn Scandinavians!!

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-p...guide-164715995.html

From the US Women's Curling Team. And yes, you do need a sense of humor to be a world-class curler:

usacurling.jpg
Last Edit: 8 months, 3 weeks ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightchaser
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#305599 8 months, 3 weeks ago
And don't forget women's hockey! The USA's first game is early Saturday morning against Finland. If you think the guys play hard, you should see how tough the women are, they really go at it! They should have had women's hockey 40 years ago, I would have played in a heartbeat!! I used to be pretty good, even playing in figure skates!!

usahockey1.jpg

usahockey3.jpg

Chester
More or less in line

#305664 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Ok, curling is kind of fun.

Coincidentally, I made it to one winter Olympics. Lake Placid in 1980. It was an adventure.

lakeplacid1980.jpg

Go USA!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#305680 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Lake Pl acid 10/17/83 is one of my favorite shows
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#305685 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Another vote for curling. Especially Women's curling because, well, a man will watch a woman do anything! Yes ladies , when you find your man asleep (or pretending to be) on the couch with woman's figure skating, gymnastics, or tennis on the TV, it is not a coincidence. But seriously folks , like almost every sports fan I knew, really got into it during the last Olympics. The combination of finesse and dramatic tension is as intense as the MLB postseason. I hope the Mule Saturday night doesn't conflict with curling.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#305699 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Nice. I love the Olympics. Hopefully one day my son's sport will be there too. It's like Half Pipe and Big Air but much more dangerous. Its great to watch live. It's a young sport, yet in Europe they attract thousands for events in Chamonix and Zermatt.

A link to a video from his comp from last week. I think you will enjoy, some great scenes from Stevens Pass on a Sunshine Daydream kind of day.

vimeo.com/85799712

GbigDrop.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, pink11
pink11
Platinum Boarder

#305724 8 months, 2 weeks ago
the highway terror wrote:
Lake Pl acid 10/17/83 is one of my favorite shows

I was there.
I remember how fun and pretty it was. I also remember I was sick as a dog with a stomach virus but come show time I was miraculously cured.
Must've been that fresh upstate New York air!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#305751 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Really enjoyed the opening ceremony tonight. There's nothing like Russian ballet.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: pink11
stricken
Gold Boarder

#305758 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Equinox wrote:
Really enjoyed the opening ceremony tonight. There's nothing like Russian ballet.

Yes it was a impressive show except for the one ring not lighting up. I also thought the drumming was real cool at one point in the program. Some of the music sounded like it was floyd ish and half expected roger waters to suddenly appear.
Now its time for the games GO U.S.A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds