• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: NHL 2014

#323068 5 months ago
Nice try Sue But sorry, Hasek is not even in the same league. Even though I cannot decipher what the hell zeno said I agree that Brodeur is the only goalie even close to be worthy of a comparison to Roy. Plus Roy never had the defense in front of him that Detroit and New Jersey possess (especially when he played in CO).

Roy - 551 wins + 151 playoff wins + 4 Cups and 3 Conn Smythes

Broduer - 688 wins + 113 playoff wins + 3 Cups

Hasek - 389 wins + 65 playoff wins + 2 Cups

I will take Roy hands down, he was $$$$
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#323069 5 months ago
Though the Bruins won the Presidents' Trophy as the NHL's top team during the regular season, they lost three of their four games against the Canadiens, including two games played in Boston (one in regulation, one in a shootout). The Canadiens have won six of the past seven games and are 351-264-103-7 in the regular season against the Bruins.
The Canadiens have won 24 of the 33 series and 102 of the 170 playoff games. We lost against the Bruins in 2009 and 2011, so we are due to beat them this year. Especially after the heartbreaking loss in 2011.....
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#323070 5 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Nice try Sue But sorry, Hasek is not even in the same league. Even though I cannot decipher what the hell zeno said I agree that Brodeur is the only goalie even close to be worthy of a comparison to Roy. Plus Roy never had the defense in front of him that Detroit and New Jersey possess (especially when he played in CO).

Roy - 551 wins + 151 playoff wins + 4 Cups and 3 Conn Smythes

Broduer - 688 wins + 113 playoff wins + 3 Cups

Hasek - 389 wins + 65 playoff wins + 2 Cups

I will take Roy hands down, he was $$$$

I am proud to be able to brag about the fact that I was in attendance for one of those Patrick Roy Stanley Cup wins. 4 days later I attended my first GD concert. What a week that was.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 5 months ago by jaredlang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#323071 5 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Nice try Sue

Just had to correct that little typo!!

Good luck to your team tonight, just not your coach!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#323075 5 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
Though the Bruins won the Presidents' Trophy as the NHL's top team during the regular season, they lost three of their four games against the Canadiens, including two games played in Boston (one in regulation, one in a shootout). The Canadiens have won six of the past seven games and are 351-264-103-7 in the regular season against the Bruins.
The Canadiens have won 24 of the 33 series and 102 of the 170 playoff games. We lost against the Bruins in 2009 and 2011, so we are due to beat them this year. Especially after the heartbreaking loss in 2011.....

I hear ya Jared. The Flying Fenchmen have been a thorn in my side forever. I am counting on the B's again this year to win. they should have had the cup last year. Tukka is too good now to lose.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#323154 5 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
Roy is one of the best of all time. I don't think any reasonable hockey fan would say otherwise. Since he was average, if not slightly below average, at puck handling, it would be easy enough to argue he wasn't best. For my money, I'd vote Brodeur above Roy. Like Hasek, he was like having a 3rd defenseman, and most likely, Brodeur will be known as the best puck handling goalie of all time.

Roy certainly had the skill, it's just unfortunate he chose to have a a bratty bad boy attitude to go with it, imho. That's why I find it very odd to see him coaching. I never thought of him as having a wise, leadership-type of personality.
This is where you can get into the inner culture of each sport. I never played organized hockey, but I played several other sports long enough to get a good grasp on their respective cultures. Hockey seems to be an interesting breed. Lots of psychology, though primal at heart, goes into it. I could see players responding well to Roy. He's a fellow meathead. It's easy for them to respect and relate to him. It's like people who want to vote leaders because they're like them. "He's a beer-drinking guy. I could watch football and eat me some BBQ with them. I like that. I don't want me no smart guy telling me what to do." They'll follow Roy into battle, and that is no small thing. It's like the antithesis of Hitchcock and Babcock. Their players trust in their chess maneuvers and mindful systems. Different types of respect and admiration, but they all result in similar places. Roy's style has its limits, though. Or I would assume it does. Chess players can adjust to new situations. The brutes are one-dimensional with less adaptability.

The difference in the testosterone-fueled coach versus the chess player was quite evident when I watched Roy pull his goalie with an entire 2:44 left, and then saw Minnesota, of course, score 2 empty net goals. I'm hope it gave his team a rush, but it sure lost the game for them this time.

On the other hand, you gotta love a Game 7, no matter what the sport or who the teams may be!!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#323179 5 months ago
The Sharks are choking. Game 7 should be fun though.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 5 months ago by 23atwell.
66slim
Platinum Boarder

#323181 5 months ago
Looks like another year of watching the Championship games minus my St louis Blues...Someday everythings gonna be different, when we win Lord Stanley's cup.
And leave it on!
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#323193 5 months ago
23atwell wrote:
The Sharks are choking.
The refs helped a little. There's been a lot of questionable reffing this playoffs. I thought a 5m major for that spearing on Perry was absurd. He deserved a spanking, but that was too much.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#323196 5 months ago
I agree but even with those bad calls, the Sharks only got one goal. No goals made in the power play and Kings had two in the box at one time.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 5 months ago by 23atwell.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds