• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: NHL 2014

#322859 4 months, 1 week ago
Roy gave a funny press conference. Unfortunately, I was in Denver when he was bouncing his wife through closet doors (amongst other abuse allegations). I never liked his tics as a player, either. I appreciate his no-non-sense approach and the obvious change he brought about for Colorado, but I doubt I'll ever be able to be unbiased against any team aligned with him. I loved to watch Blake, Foote, Forsberg, and a bunch of players on that classic team, but it was always sweet to watch Roy lose. It still is.

I think it was Hasek's final year, when it was Detroit/Colorado in a game 7 of a great series, when Detroit destroyed Roy in game 7. 5-2 or 7-2? Before that series (must have been the Stanley finals), they were at the traditional team dinners. One of the sons of Colorado's coach was a big Hasek fan, so he asked Hasek for a signed goalie stick. Hasek obliged, but he gave him an illegal stick (blade was too tall). So in that closely contested game 6, Colorado asked to have Hasek's stick measured. If you pull that card and are wrong, you are assessed the penalty. Hasek's stick was legal. Colorado got the penalty. Detroit scored. It went something like that I believe. Hasek was always that quirky genius. Like having a 3rd defenseman. If I have any of this story wrong, please correct me.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#322939 4 months, 1 week ago
^^^II believe that was earlier in Hasek's career, in the 2002 Wings-Avs series, the one where all of Detroit began to despise Patrick Roy, though the Wings won in 7 games, before going on to win the Cup (thank you for being better than my memory, Wikipedia). However, it was a nice story to read when coming in to post about the end of the Wings season!

OK newyawker and any other Bruins fans, you win! I'm just glad the Wings managed to buck up enough at the end of the season to keep our playoff streak going. Hopefully next year will bring more wins and less injuries for my guys. Good luck to everyone still in the running, aside from the Avs. With all due respect to their FFF fans, that team is one of the very few things about Colorado I don't like!!

Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by SunshineSue.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#322961 4 months, 1 week ago
Roy is the greatest goalie ever, period.

GO AVALANCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#322966 4 months, 1 week ago
Denver Man wrote:
Hasek is the greatest goalie ever, period.

GO AVALANCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that was an exciting hockey game, even if I wasn't rooting for Roy!! Bet you and SIB enjoyed that one!!

Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by SunshineSue.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#322982 4 months, 1 week ago
Roy is one of the best of all time. I don't think any reasonable hockey fan would say otherwise. Since he was average, if not slightly below average, at puck handling, it would be easy enough to argue he wasn't best. For my money, I'd vote Brodeur above Roy. Like Hasek, he was like having a 3rd defenseman, and most likely, Brodeur will be known as the best puck handling goalie of all time.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder

#322986 4 months, 1 week ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Roy is one of the best of all time. I don't think any reasonable hockey fan would say otherwise. Since he was average, if not slightly below average, at puck handling, it would be easy enough to argue he wasn't best. For my money, I'd vote Brodeur above Roy. Like Hasek, he was like having a 3rd defenseman, and most likely, Brodeur will be known as the best puck handling goalie of all time.

Roy certainly had the skill, it's just unfortunate he chose to have a a bratty bad boy attitude to go with it, imho. That's why I find it very odd to see him coaching. I never thought of him as having a wise, leadership-type of personality.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#322989 4 months, 1 week ago
SunshineSue wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:

Roy certainly had the skill, it's just unfortunate he chose to have a a bratty bad boy attitude to go with it, imho. That's why I find it very odd to see him coaching. I never thought of him as having a wise, leadership-type of personality.
This is where you can get into the inner culture of each sport. I never played organized hockey, but I played several other sports long enough to get a good grasp on their respective cultures. Hockey seems to be an interesting breed. Lots of psychology, though primal at heart, goes into it. I could see players responding well to Roy. He's a fellow meathead. It's easy for them to respect and relate to him. It's like people who want to vote leaders because they're like them. "He's a beer-drinking guy. I could watch football and eat me some BBQ with them. I like that. I don't want me no smart guy telling me what to do." They'll follow Roy into battle, and that is no small thing. It's like the antithesis of Hitchcock and Babcock. Their players trust in their chess maneuvers and mindful systems. Different types of respect and admiration, but they all result in similar places. Roy's style has its limits, though. Or I would assume it does. Chess players can adjust to new situations. The brutes are one-dimensional with less adaptability.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#322990 4 months, 1 week ago
NY Rangers are beating the Philadelphia Flyers 2-0 in the second period. This series is tied at two - two. so this is an important game. I don't know about all of this psycological warfare stuff but if I remember correctly whichever team puts the puck in the other teams goal more often than the other team does, wins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#323011 4 months, 1 week ago
nycdave wrote:
NY Rangers are beating the Philadelphia Flyers 2-0 in the second period. This series is tied at two - two. so this is an important game. I don't know about all of this psycological warfare stuff but if I remember correctly whichever team puts the puck in the other teams goal more often than the other team does, wins.

Funny...
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#323064 4 months ago
Jared, your pesky Habs better be prepared for the Black and Gold. The B's in 4 is my hope and prediction!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Time to create page: 0.95 seconds