• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
robertjfeldman
Junior Boarder
Criminal Defense Attorney

Re: DSO rather than Furthur? Huh?!

#32628 3 years, 1 month ago
My subjective view on DSO vs. Furthur

saw GD first in 1969 became obsessed within a couple of years..saw hundreds of shows

abruptly stopped in 1995 guess why

then around l2006 saw DSO in a small venue and became obsessed

friends would say come to Phil and Friends...did see them a coupla times but still liked DSO in small bars where i leaned up on stage and danced and grooved for hours.

THEN finally saw Furthur at MSG in November 2010

have seen about 6 shows and am seeing three more this summer

LOVE LOVE LOVE

why? although DSO recreates the GD experience flawlessly, that is it...they REcreate it....yes they do original additions especially e.g. Lisa on Lovelight...but it is not new for the most part...very little CREATION.

Furthur consciously CREATES new stuff.......also Phil is unmatchable and Bobby seems to play more intricately..Also Bobby is always creating new stuff with each rendition of a song. Finally although Barraco is AWESOME and emotes love, Chimenti is jazzy and clever and new. ....and Russo is one of the best drummers around....FINALLY ...Sunshine puts the polished icing on the cake.

have seen DSO a coupla times since reawakening and walked out...........................
come and join the party every day!
milesgone
Junior Boarder
All the milesgone behind me to see shows

#32646 3 years, 1 month ago
nwnjsteve

thx for posting those DSO videos. the Help/Slip is really damn good. 15 min??? wtf?

I love it thx man.
cpuffe
Fresh Boarder

#32681 3 years, 1 month ago
I've seen the Dead aver 50 times from 1980 to 1990. I saw Furthur for the first time last February at Mohegan in CT. Five days later I saw DSO for the first time in Houston at HOB.

There was no comparison.

Furthur still has the magic. It was apparent to me just how much heart and soul Phil and Bobby contributed to the music. They are a direct link to the magic we all loved while the Grateful Dead were still around. Yes, Jerry is gone and we'll never replace him, but John is awesome and really works well with the boys. Furthur really is taking it further and doing different, creative and fun things with the music we love.

DSO to me was like a very well rehearsed cover band. They played very well, and it was a great, enjoyable show, but there was something missing, the connection to the past, the heart and soul that Furthur brings.

I saw Dream Theater play a few years back, and they covered songs from other bands (Metallica, Queen and Iron Maiden were ones I recall). Now, Dream Theater are all very highly talented musicians. However, they played the cover songs technically perfectly, but without a shred of soul or emotion. At one point, their guitarist was playing a difficult lead and making it look easy, laughing and joking with someone offstage while he played the solo. The experience left me appreciating their technical excellence but questioning their emotion and their ability to create something built to last.

So, it's Furthur hands down. I love Furthur, I'm a completely deadicated fan, I'll see them as long as they keep touring, and I pray they keep touring a long long time. So far my wife and I have seen them 5 times since that first show in February '10.
...there were days I know when all we ever wanted was to learn and love and grow
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by cpuffe.
nwnjsteve
Junior Boarder

#32889 3 years, 1 month ago
milesgone wrote:
nwnjsteve

thx for posting those DSO videos. the Help/Slip is really damn good. 15 min??? wtf?

I love it thx man.
no problem ,been doing the last few shows I ve been going to ,will do the last 2 nites at grateful fest so enjoy
ShineOn
Junior Boarder

#32929 3 years, 1 month ago
I really enjoy DSO, they are very talented and bring a lot of energy to their re-creations; however, Furthur hands down is better as they reflect nuggets of Grateful Dead past while evolving the sound in new and unique ways. Bob and Phil are wise beyond their years, even at their age, and their talent, knowledge, and experience put them on a level of their own.
Time to create page: 1.44 seconds