• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: DSO rather than Furthur? Huh?!

#30994 3 years, 3 months ago
"By furthuring their music career I assume you mean becoming a Beatles cover band."

by becoming a Beatles cover band I assume you mean playing 1-2 Beatle songs tops each night (except Phil's B-day) and not even at every single show.....
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#31024 3 years, 3 months ago
Jeff Mattson can mimic Jerry Garcia's prime style better than anyone else, including John Kadlecik. But I still put Furthur ahead of DSO because of the Bob Weir and Phil Lesh reasons. I still "get off" on being in the same room as them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: milesgone
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#31040 3 years, 3 months ago
DSO is a very good cover band and i will probably look more towards them once bobby and phil are done for good. But for now i love Furthur. When i go to a DSO show it is not the same, it doesnt move me as much as Furthur show. Being that because i am just watching a band that plays grateful dead music. When i go to a Furthur show it is a magical experience, even when im sober! It different because Bobby and Phil are up there on stage having a good time and playing the music they created. I love both bands but i wouldnt follow around DSO as much as i follow around Furthur.
DaysBetween
Junior Boarder

#31185 3 years, 3 months ago
Just want to make sure that no one thinks that I started this thread to say anything bad, or for folks to say anything bad, about DSO. I really dig them, I just thought it was strange that my friend would see them over seeing Furthur and wanted to see if anyone else shared his opinion.
I hope DSO is around for many, many years. They bring joy to so many people, including me, and are a great band.
That said....FURTHUR RULES!!!!
Peace,
-Steve
Let your life proceed by it's own design....
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#31991 3 years, 3 months ago
I got off the DSO forum to avoid this. Ok....Without the Grateful Dead, there would be no DSO. Without DSO ,there would be no Furthur. Any questions. Enjoy the ride folks!
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#31994 3 years, 3 months ago
I tell ya all that it is an absolute miracle that we even have Bob and Phil still performing.Phil is a transplant survivor! Please Please that just enjoy what these guys are bringing to us TODAY!
DaysBetween
Junior Boarder

#31998 3 years, 3 months ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
I got off the DSO forum to avoid this. Ok....Without the Grateful Dead, there would be no DSO. Without DSO ,there would be no Furthur. Any questions. Enjoy the ride folks!

I don't agree.
We might not have this version of Furthur (one with JK), but I believe that we would still have a version of Furthur none the less.
Phil & Bobby wanted a new band and, if JK was not around, they would have found someone else to fill his role. Not saying it would have been better or worse, it could have gone either way, but there would have been a Furthur.
DSO and Furthur is not a "chicken or the egg" senario.
Peace,
-Steve
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#32000 3 years, 3 months ago
Four Colorado DSO shows in August. One, perhaps more in October. NYE in Boulder, maybe. Furthur, three shows in late September / early October. I don't know about the rest of you, where your loyalties side with, but all I can say is that as far as I'm concerned, it couldn't be better!!!
DaysBetween
Junior Boarder

#32005 3 years, 3 months ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
Four Colorado DSO shows in August. One, perhaps more in October. NYE in Boulder, maybe. Furthur, three shows in late September / early October. I don't know about the rest of you, where your loyalties side with, but all I can say is that as far as I'm concerned, it couldn't be better!!!

My "loyalties" don't have a dog in this fight. If I was in Colorado (I now reside in FL), I'd be at all those DSO & Furthur shows with the expection of NYE, as I will be with Furthur in SF if they are playing another NYE gig. I go out there for NYE every year.

I lived in Boulder for 2 years, '80-'82, it was a really hip place back then. Halloween on the mall was da bomb! Went to so many GD shows in CO. Have not been back in about 20 years, still a great place to hang?
Enjoy all those shows!!!!
Peace,
-Steve
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#32008 3 years, 3 months ago
my 2 cents, DSO definitely fills a need when I am jonesing for a show, but it ain't the same as a furthur show. Decent quality music, but something about the deadhead scene is missing. I just saw DSO a month or so ago - lots of nitrous, smoking, possibly dosing (?) but one inside the scene was more reserved (IMO) than with furthur. Personally, I enjoy it when I can funkin gonuts with other like minded folk.

I have been seeing DSO's lead guitarist (Jeff - the Jerry guy) for over 30 years, he used to be the lead guitar player for the Volunteers which turned into the zen tricksters; now Jeff is with Donna's G's band. He's a talented guy, but a bit flakey. I heard he turned down the Jerry spot with Furthur.

It's a bit eerie how Jeff always had a resemblance to Jerry, and now he's added a lot of weight
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds