• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DaysBetween
Junior Boarder

DSO rather than Furthur? Huh?!

#30079 3 years, 3 months ago
I have a friend that has been seeing the Grateful Dead for just as long as I have, since the late 70's.
I have tried to get him to see Phil & Friends over the years, but he would not go, he never got into the discs I played for him.
He just saw Furthur in Boca with me and had a great time. Smokin' show.
I asked him if he wanted to go with me and my friends to see Furthur in St Augustine, but when he found out it was a 3 & 1/2 hour drive, he told me "Nah, too far to go, but if it was DSO, I might take the trip, I like them better."
I was in shock! Don't get me wrong, I dig dancing at the DSO shows, but, damn, I would take Furthur over them any day!
Is there anyone here who feels the same as my friend? I can't imagine, but I could be wrong......
Peace,
-Steve
Let your life proceed by it's own design....
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by DaysBetween. Reason: Spelling...I stoooopid!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Re: DSO rather than Furthur? Huh?!

#30081 3 years, 3 months ago
No. No comparison. Sorry DSO fans. I like DSO, just saw them in Jacksonville a few months ago. The only thing better about DSO is the set lists. I know, call me crazy.......
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#30082 3 years, 3 months ago
btw, Boca was off the hook!
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#30094 3 years, 3 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
No. No comparison. Sorry DSO fans. I like DSO, just saw them in Jacksonville a few months ago. The only thing better about DSO is the set lists. I know, call me crazy.......

Let me preface this by saying I prefer Furthur any day over dso. But for some, they just want to hear the music as they remember it and hearing bob and phil sing a lot of the Jerry tunes is a major detractor for some folks...
kfender
Gold Boarder

#30109 3 years, 3 months ago
I enjoy going to DSO when they come around my way.However their prices keep going up.Why would i spend 30 bucks to see them when i can see Furthur for the same cost?When they both are on the road it's an easy decision as far as I'm concerned
Timmy Hoover
Junior Boarder

#30118 3 years, 3 months ago
DSO would be better than Furthur if Phil was to join DSO.

As is I'd say they're about equal.

DSO's Bobby doesn't screw up as much as real Bobby.
DaysBetween
Junior Boarder

#30120 3 years, 3 months ago
I just don't see them near equal.
One band created and still creates the sound, the other covers that sound. They cover it damn well, but they don't take it "furthur".
Also, very few surprises coming out of DSO and plenty coming out of Further.
Peace,
-Steve
Let your life proceed by it's own design....
NewHampshireJed
Junior Boarder

#30121 3 years, 3 months ago
I have been listening to Dead for only like 4 years now. But when I did it I did it right. They are by far my favorite band of all time and the best times of my life have been in Dead related activities (fests, Furthur shows, etc).

I've seen DSO four times, Furthur eight. When I am at a Furthur show I can't pay attention to anything else, watching THE original guys and some amazing musicians, and hearing the songs THEY want to play gives me goosebumps. If a song at a DSO show comes on that I don't know I just kind of get bored. They're great and they sound like the Dead, usually, but, idk, all of you guys and gals know what I'm saying. They are just not the same.

While Furthur has some miscues, the music is ingrained in their SOUL. It is who they are. I love that

Plus they still kick ass

Sorry for the rant
I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels
Annie
Fresh Boarder

#30167 3 years, 3 months ago
Yes, this is a crazy phenomenon if you ask me. Phil and Bobby are magical. Period. They are who they are...I mean...what more can you say?

DSO is awesome as well, for who they are. They are a really successful and talented cover band. I have seen many of their shows, being from the Chicago area. In 1996, 97 ...., seeing DSO was like medicine to me.

Personally, I think the two are incomparable because DSO is a cover band and Furthur is Phil and Bobby taking it furthur. It's authentic, it's just different.

So I guess people who PREFER DSO over Furthur are.......................crazy wrong.
PsychicPyramid
Junior Boarder
HEAVY VIBES

#30170 3 years, 3 months ago
Musically I'd have to choose DSO, just because they cover vintage shows..
not to mention smaller venues, cheaper tickets, and you still tap into the vibe.

The only reason I would choose furthur over DSO would be the whole GD environment, obviously.
Union Pacific, out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds