• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: Phish in Big Pond

#30227 3 years, 4 months ago
what'd be cool is to start shooting those glowsticks in the air like clay pigeons, you know, entertain the hunters also.
nastero
Junior Boarder

#30235 3 years, 4 months ago
I'm a pretty big Phish fan, but it really is an apples/oranges comparison beyond the generic "they're both 'jam bands'".

I tend to think that Phish is far more influenced by Zappa than by the Dead (mainly based on the often-times non-sensical lyrics) but they are also more proficient, in my mind at least, at the extended free-form jazz odyssey ... or should I say more technically proficient.

Personally I listen to more Dead and Dead related recordings because I prefer the more melodic stylings and the lyricism. The songs just tend to speak to me a bit more than Phish's do, though there are some Phish tunes I would love to hear Furthur cover (such as the previously mentioned "Down With Disease" or "Rift" or "Run Like An Antelope" to name a few) simply because they're really good, musically, and I think they would do them justice.

I also agree that the scene, at least based on the limited exposure I've had to Phish in concert, is considerably different and the vibe is a little less kind, but that could just be me bringing my own prejudices to the conversation.

In the end, I don't think it has to be an either/or type situation because the music, lyrics, and style are totally different more often than not. One can enjoy both and recognize the unique qualities of each that make them so successful and so proficient at their craft.
Lafoo
Junior Boarder

#30265 3 years, 4 months ago
Jerry could make me cry... Trey cannot. That statement alone says alot. Don't get me wrong I love both bands. Prefer Dead over Phish but still enjoy Trey's guitar work.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#30351 3 years, 4 months ago
"the phish phans throw glow sticks in the air during the show there was thousands of those things flying around probably good for visuals "but somebodies gonna lose an eye"

--ever been to the Gathering of the Vibes? ....... I've never seen anything like the glowsticks flying around when I seen Ratdog/Furthur there.... I almost forgot about those glow sticks until I read your post.....

I'm not into Phish myself - yes I've listened, just not my thing - nothing against them or anyone whos into them though....
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#30354 3 years, 4 months ago
it was okay nothing spectacular,the lyrics didnt do anything for me the guitar work was great .had a good time but i wouldnt follow them around like dead/furthur which alot of their fans do
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#30427 3 years, 4 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
the phish phans throw glow sticks in the air during the show there was thousands of those things flying around probably good for visuals "but somebodies gonna lose an eye"

I HATE IT when my mom goes to shows!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#30439 3 years, 4 months ago
I love bringing my Mom to shows .... she's going to Bethal and Pittsfield and the Vibes if she could convince her friend to go cause I'm camping there (and she can't do that).

trippyface.gif
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#30441 3 years, 4 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I love bringing my Mom to shows .... she's going to Bethal and Pittsfield and the Vibes if she could convince her friend to go cause I'm camping there (and she can't do that).

trippyface.gif

I envy your relationship with your mother, dude. My moms been bitchin at me for weeks, bout her wanting to go to the acid test. Its like.....really.........really............lol. I just dont get it. I saw ratdog with her at the greek, n instantly wished i hadnt. The whole show she was screamtalking with this huge drunk asshole. Never again. Never again. I shroomed with her for mothers day a year ago, n she kept yellin at me the whole time, tellin me im toooo tall, and to stop being so wiggly........Was quite annoying to the max. Even tday, she was all, "come on, you wont even know im there" N its like. Im not gonna let you give thousands of people a bad trip. Oh well. Dude, you should get ur mum to adopt me. We could be brothers. ahahhahaha.

Ahhhh, i think this will be my last post until monday or something. Gonna take some pictures of the show, n the test, n post em on the forum. =-) See you fuckers soon. =-)
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#30442 3 years, 4 months ago
Have fun man! ..... I wish you could have more fun with her but hey, she still sounds like a good person
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#30462 3 years, 4 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:

trippyface.gif

I like when your Mom goes to shows too... ; )
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds