• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Phish in Big Pond

#29772 3 years, 1 month ago
Blair Jackson, one of the crunchiest chroniclers of all things Dead, has a great blog on Dead.net (among several)

His latest is about Phish and the other jambands, and why they didn't resonate with him like the GD, but how he still roots for their success. because they are all cars on the Grateful Dead train..

www.dead.net/features/blairs-golden-road...her-fellow-travelers

There are about 100 replies on this thread. .....its a topic that has been mullled over many times... But these responses are all thoughtful and come from the Deadicated (who else visits that site?).....They are not the " my band is better than your band" quality you might find in other places.

I recommend checking it out and adding your 2 cents.

I'm about to add mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasha Flambe
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Phish in Big Pond

#29779 3 years, 1 month ago
solid post man, appreciate it...muchos gracias senor
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#29876 3 years, 1 month ago
Thanks for the post man, i actually checked out phish live for the first time last night and all i can say and agree with blair is this "The songs don’t sing to my soul, and even though the musicianship is clearly amazing on a technical level, it doesn’t hit me emotionally." For me, it was different then a furthur show, in a bad way. The energy i usually will get from furthur was nowhere to be found last night and made me wonder why does everyone make such a big shit out of these guys. I mean the music is good and i like the band but the fans brought a different energy. Makes me grateful to have furthur around.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#29877 3 years, 1 month ago
well, I guess I'll let everyone know Mon or Tuesday of next week cause I'm hitting two shows this weekend and personally, I've never seen em before so I thought what the hell? Got seats for Cleveland and lawn for Cincy so what have I got to lose? Only the gas money I'm using to get there.
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#29882 3 years, 1 month ago
Dont get me wrong captn ant, it was a good time, worth the money. I just dont get the experience at a phish show that i do at a furthur show. I dont know if its cause jerry's spirit is lingering the furthur shows or not, but its different. Much rather see furthur, but will go to a phish show again when they come around.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#29884 3 years, 1 month ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Blair Jackson, one of the crunchiest chroniclers of all things Dead, has a great blog on Dead.net (among several)

His latest is about Phish and the other jambands, and why they didn't resonate with him like the GD, but how he still roots for their success. because they are all cars on the Grateful Dead train..

www.dead.net/features/blairs-golden-road...her-fellow-travelers

There are about 100 replies on this thread. .....its a topic that has been mullled over many times... But these responses are all thoughtful and come from the Deadicated (who else visits that site?).....They are not the " my band is better than your band" quality you might find in other places.

I recommend checking it out and adding your 2 cents.

I'm about to add mine.

Thanks for posting this. I read Blair's post on Dead.net the day it came out and I thought about it, but you motivated me to post a response. Here's what I posted:

Here's my two cents. I'm a 200plus show veteran dating back to 1982, so for me nothing will ever compare to the Grateful Dead. They are in their own special catagory in my heart and soul. Having said that, I also really enjoy both Phish and Widespread Panic. To me they are sort of yin and yang. Phish is light-hearted goofy fun, and Widepread Panic's music to me is very beautiful, but in a dark way. Depending on my mood, either band can make me happy as a listening choice, and I really love them both in concert. A lot of Deadheads share Blair's opinion of these two bands, but I feel fortunate that I am not one of them.
Without love day to day insanity's king
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#29891 3 years, 1 month ago
Interesting article. You know the old mantra, ""Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!" Well the same thing could be said for Phish. Seen 150+ shows and theres not another band out there that gets me to the level they do. I love Furthur for the chance to see old friends and hear my favorite songs in the world, they just don't quiite have the electric, powerful energy that Phish has (that they're refinding at least)
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#29894 3 years, 1 month ago
i did phish tour after jerry died mainly to make money, and i talked shit about the band in the lot, never bought a ticket and when i was lucky enough to get in i usually left bfore the show was over. they are very good musicians, just not my cup of tea. looking back though some of phish songs are sentimental to me like down with disease, and velvet sea, phishes golden age was 98-00 in my opinion.
i probably will never go to anouther phish show, it just not my thing. widespread did it for me till houser died. they used to RAWK i dont like hearings sound.
THANK GOD FOR BOBBY PHIL MICKEY BILLY JEFF
for enduring, and kickin major ass!
LOOKIN FORWARD TO SEEING RATDOG RETURN 2
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#29902 3 years, 1 month ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i did phish tour after jerry died mainly to make money, and i talked shit about the band in the lot, never bought a ticket and when i was lucky enough to get in i usually left bfore the show was over. they are very good musicians, just not my cup of tea. looking back though some of phish songs are sentimental to me like down with disease, and velvet sea, phishes golden age was 98-00 in my opinion.
i probably will never go to anouther phish show, it just not my thing. widespread did it for me till houser died. they used to RAWK i dont like hearings sound.
THANK GOD FOR BOBBY PHIL MICKEY BILLY JEFF
for enduring, and kickin major ass!
LOOKIN FORWARD TO SEEING RATDOG RETURN 2

You did tour to make money and talked shit about the band you were on tour with? Thanks for being part of the problem, its cats like you that ruined the GD scene in the 90's
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#30225 3 years, 1 month ago
the phish phans throw glow sticks in the air during the show there was thousands of those things flying around probably good for visuals "but somebodies gonna lose an eye"
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds