rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

THE TRAGIC TALE OF A LEGENDARY CONCERT TAPER

#293997 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Cub
Senior Boarder

Re: THE TRAGIC TALE OF A LEGENDARY CONCERT TAPER

#293998 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Mike Millard was the first original stealth taper. His techniques of using friends & the wheelchair to get his NaK 550 3 mic input deck past security was pure genius. I've seen the wheelchair method used at Jerry Garcia Band shows where taping usually had to be stealth. Just about the time Mike Millard passed was when we started using Dat and hat mics to record all types of live bands in small venues thru-out the 90's. Great article. Hats-Off to Mike.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#294005 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Cub wrote:
Mike Millard was the first original stealth taper. His techniques of using friends & the wheelchair to get his NaK 550 3 mic input deck past security was pure genius. I've seen the wheelchair method used at Jerry Garcia Band shows where taping usually had to be stealth. Just about the time Mike Millard passed was when we started using Dat and hat mics to record all types of live bands in small venues thru-out the 90's. Great article. Hats-Off to Mike.

I taped from 79-81 with a Nak 550 (moving to a D5 afterwards) and used the wheelchair method occasionally. In most large venues, however, it was often just as effective to keep trying doors until you hit a guard that had no clue. I then moved on to the D5 under the skirt (not mine) strategy occasionally and also did the mike in hat (modified Nak 700s) thing also. I never not got in with my deck, but did get heaved during morning dew at Buffalo 81. I can't say I was ever beaten though. Cops were smashing peoples decks at the afore mentioned Buffalo 81 though...
Last Edit: 8 months, 3 weeks ago by rippleish20.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#294077 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Wow sad tale.. thanks MM... but i must add this wheelchair method was also used on the east coast from at least the mid 80's on..now I know were ahem they/he got the inspiration. Based out of Philly a lot of the vids you see (non Justin K) came from this individual/method. I still have a bunch of vhs boots, they were gold before the advent of the internet..youtube..... if you can remember or were alive then. Signed "older than dirt"
pink11
Platinum Boarder

#294591 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Yes, we were using my grandmas wheelchair in very early 80's and also , under the skirt method, and yes, mine.
Do not underestimate the bulk of a D5 taped to the inside of ones thigh.
I was reminded I even took a disco box in with that method, pre D5,,
Ah, the good old days,

Shout out to all sisters who aided tapers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rippleish20
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#294656 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Man I have some AWESOME Mike Millard recordings. A whole hard drive of of his stuff mainly Zeppelin and Floyd but Rush, Yes and some other bands that slip my mind are on there. Thanks very much Mike! RIP
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: pink11
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds