• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

Re: Ex-Bassist for the Grateful Dead Strikes a Deal

#293644 10 months ago
^^^^^
not complaining, but East Coast (NYC area) gets MUCH love from PL&F. I think the novelty has worn off, many heads are older and can't do multiple shows like 10-20 years ago. Bottom line, this works for Phil. Perhaps playing to a half full house was considered and decided to not be a deal breaker. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Phil and all parties involved have enough $$, we've got 30 shows to look forward to, WIN WIN.

-- smell every flower --
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#293645 10 months ago
Does he sell out Broomfield?
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#293646 10 months ago
newyawker wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....

I'd say more than 10 million. Here's a question: was anyone doing back flips when this incarnation of Phil and Friends was
announced?

Frankly I'm not sure what to make of Dark Star>Free Bird>Dark Star.

I was. The TXR Rambles with the same group of friends was awesome and the Cap shows lived up to my expectations. And based on people who went and listened to the streams, I'd say there was a very strong consensus that the shows were awesome. And the Freebird was great, it was fun.

Alan, not questioning musical ability. Just making an odservation that its terrible that 30 people showed up

Well, that part I agree with. It's clear that a lot of people were not interested in this lineup, although it strikes me as strange that people seemingly decided this combo was lacking without ever hearing them (which they could have done by listening to THE TXR Rambles). On the other hand, there are a lot of factors. PHISH was in Atlantic City this past weekend. The have, as Kevin suggests, saturated the NY market for several years. And ticket sales have been lacking for a while now. The summer and Fall Furthur tours did not sell well either. The summer tour mostly filled in by show time and the Fall did did better but by then people knew Furthur was taking the hiatus. I personally think the expensive tickets detracts from some people going. I think they discovered with Mexico that they are better off charging more, that the people who want to go will pay anyways. I expect higher ticket prices for the PF shows in the future and VIP stuff so Shapiro can extract more money...

But the Freebird thing was ok NewYorker. They are doing album themes. If was all in good fun. The audience seemed to love it, and Phil was beaming. I personally am happy with them doing more inventive things even if they are unusual.
Last Edit: 10 months ago by rippleish20.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#293647 10 months ago
newyawker wrote:

Broomfield doesn't get the plethora of shows New York does, my guess would be yes.
-- smell every flower --
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#293648 10 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
newyawker wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....

I'd say more than 10 million. Here's a question: was anyone doing back flips when this incarnation of Phil and Friends was
announced?

I was. The TXR Rambles with the same group of friends was awesome and the Cap shows lived up to my expectations. And based on people who went and listened to the streams, I'd say there was a very strong consensus that the shows were awesome. And the Freebird was great, it was fun.

Alan, not questioning musical ability. Just making an odservation that its terrible that 30 people showed up

Well, that part I agree with. It's clear that a lot of people were not interested in this lineup, although it strikes me as strange that people seemingly decided this combo was lacking without ever hearing them (which they could have done by listening to THE TXR Rambles). On the other hand, there are a lot of factors. PHISH was in Atlantic City this past weekend. The have, as Kevin suggests, saturated the NY market for several years. And ticket sales have been lacking for a while now. The summer and Fall Furthur tours did not sell well either. The summer tour mostly filled in by show time and the Fall did did better but by then people knew Furthur was taking the hiatus. I personally think the expensive tickets detracts from some people going. I think they discovered with Mexico that they are better off charging more, that the people who want to go will pay anyways. I expect higher ticket prices for the PF shows in the future and VIP stuff so Shapiro can extract more money...

But the Freebird thing was ok NewYorker. They are doing album themes. If was all in good fun. The audience seemed to love it, and Phil was beaming. I personally am happy with them doing more inventive things even if they are unusual.

I agree Alan. New tunes are fun. I am just perplexed on where oh where have all the heads gone. I do have a solution. Phil, Bob, Furthur, should play colleges. Groom the younger generation wih the vibe.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#293652 10 months ago
newyawker wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
newyawker wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:

announced?

I agree Alan. New tunes are fun. I am just perplexed on where oh where have all the heads gone. I do have a solution. Phil, Bob, Furthur, should play colleges. Groom the younger generation wih the vibe.

I see a fair number of younger people but I think the fairly high ticket costs precludes more younger people. I get the impression that DSO now hasa good following, which I think is encouraged by the low ticket costs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#293706 10 months ago
kevin wrote:
newyawker wrote:

Broomfield doesn't get the plethora of shows New York does, my guess would be yes.

Not with the current line up! Sorry...

When Chimenti, Russo, Scofield, Green and Haynes were the line up they sold out only 1 of the 3 shows. 1st Bank holds over 5,000 people though.

Trust me Colorado gets their fair share of music.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#293714 10 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
kevin wrote:
newyawker wrote:

Not with the current line up! Sorry...

When Chimenti, Russo, Scofield, Green and Haynes were the line up they sold out only 1 of the 3 shows. 1st Bank holds over 5,000 people though.

Trust me Colorado gets their fair share of music.

Shit, glad you said that Mark. Colorado gets very great Jam band all year long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#293723 10 months ago
If they lower the price they would get younger people. I am telling you, play colleges. Charge 30 bucks and a new generation will be born. This bullshit of 60-80 bucks a ticket to see them is way way overpriced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, ChefArugula
ChefArugula
Expert Boarder
The Turtle abides....

#294122 9 months, 4 weeks ago
We all need to support the DSO....
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Time to create page: 0.88 seconds