• Topics not covered in other forums.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

Re: Ex-Bassist for the Grateful Dead Strikes a Deal

#293579 10 months, 2 weeks ago
newyawker wrote:
Griff wrote:
Well there is no lack of differing opinions on this site. Amazing.

I actually thought the dark star>freebird>dark star sounded very intriguing and fun.

Perhaps 2014 will be a banner year for new band incarnations. How about Jeff C, John and Joe start a new band together with Barry Slass (ok I know I am wrong on that last name, the bro who played on Weir Here one night and was incredible..........you smart people know who I am talking about) and ????

Or??????

Idk, I was just thinking that maybe there are some new things out there that could be cool, not just Phil with ___________ or Bob with __________________.

And of course that is never to say that I don't love both Bobby and Phil and want to see them too.

Love to see Victor Wooten or Steve Bailey jam on bass with them..

Cool, now we are talking. I don't know why there would be auto-assumption of PL&F and Ratdog and JK band only, if there was one. I could be really down with 6 or 7 really great musicians coming together and rocking the GD repertoire. Akin to the Branford set on Sunday at RR.

Y'all are being way too close minded on the DS/Freebird thing. HAHA. Totally jokin. But I like the idea of playing new material and there a million great songs out there to play.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293580 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Griff wrote:
newyawker wrote:
Griff wrote:
Well there is no lack of differing opinions on this site. Amazing.

I actually thought the dark star>freebird>dark star sounded very intriguing and fun.

Perhaps 2014 will be a banner year for new band incarnations. How about Jeff C, John and Joe start a new band together with Barry Slass (ok I know I am wrong on that last name, the bro who played on Weir Here one night and was incredible..........you smart people know who I am talking about) and ????

Or??????

Idk, I was just thinking that maybe there are some new things out there that could be cool, not just Phil with ___________ or Bob with __________________.

And of course that is never to say that I don't love both Bobby and Phil and want to see them too.

Love to see Victor Wooten or Steve Bailey jam on bass with them..

Cool, now we are talking. I don't know why there would be auto-assumption of PL&F and Ratdog and JK band only, if there was one. I could be really down with 6 or 7 really great musicians coming together and rocking the GD repertoire. Akin to the Branford set on Sunday at RR.

Y'all are being way too close minded on the DS/Freebird thing. HAHA. Totally jokin. But I like the idea of playing new material and there a million great songs out there to play.

Are you totally jokin on the Dark Star>Free Bird thing, or are you just jokin?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#293589 10 months, 2 weeks ago
newyawker wrote:
So anyone have an opinion on how Phil could not sell 2k tickets? On a weekend to boot. Id be a tad embarrassed myself. Has the scene died out that much? Perhaps it did have to do with the line up. Not sure. But cmon, phil with anyone should sell 2k tickets.....

That is what I don't get. How is he going to even come close to selling out 30 shows? Could get embarrassing to have shows half empty. Unless ticket prices come way down, but I don't see that happening either.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#293591 10 months, 2 weeks ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....

I'd say more than 10 million. Here's a question: was anyone doing back flips when this incarnation of Phil and Friends was
announced?

Frankly I'm not sure what to make of Dark Star>Free Bird>Dark Star.

I was. The TXR Rambles with the same group of friends was awesome and the Cap shows lived up to my expectations. And based on people who went and listened to the streams, I'd say there was a very strong consensus that the shows were awesome. And the Freebird was great, it was fun.
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

#293600 10 months, 2 weeks ago
OPINION-- Only so many people want to pay to stay in new york. Only so many people want to hear phil sing often. You dont get the slow powerful Days Between kinda stuff. Like i said in another post Phil is not picking anymore. Settling for his phriends, which is ok, I think he is just going to have to settle for a house that is not sold out as well. Shapiro too. //Maybe 25 % of the lineups might include a Warren, Herring , Scofield, Chimenti and JK type presence and those will be the hot ticket. Unless one or two of those names are on the bill, I dont see a lot of sold out shows. Phil is getting paid either way. PHil wants to play and not travel. He can do those things and play with anybody. Maybe 19 years of Phil and friends has taken a toll on the good community.

*THE VERY FIRST*
Phil Lesh And Friends
Berkeley Community Theatre - Berkeley,CA
A Benefit for Berkeley Music Program
09/24/94

The Band: Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Vince Welnick, (no drummers)
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

#293616 10 months, 2 weeks ago
rippleish20 wrote:

Exclusive rights to music scares me, does that mean no audio taping , no taperrob ?

It seems like that's where Shapiro is crossing the line to me. Giving up music rights could get kinda ugly especially if they become more valuable over time. Hopefully there is not something else in the contract prohibiting Phil from playing at the Beacon or any other theatre of his choice. I think Phil/Jill is smart enough not to sign into too much of that kinda stuff.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#293628 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Chester wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
I just saw that! Well, I'm not sure I'm up for traveling to New York, but I sure hope they set up a webcam there. And I bet TaperRob might hit a few of those. This sounds pretty good!

LaGuardia airport is about 30 minutes from Port Chester. And the Hilton is an excellent hotel. Only two miles from the theater.

Yes the hilton is the place to stay they even let us build a bonfire. Never checked in to a hotel you could build a fire. Only draw back is you need gps to find your way around the place.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#293636 10 months, 2 weeks ago
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....

I'd say more than 10 million. Here's a question: was anyone doing back flips when this incarnation of Phil and Friends was
announced?

Frankly I'm not sure what to make of Dark Star>Free Bird>Dark Star.

I was. The TXR Rambles with the same group of friends was awesome and the Cap shows lived up to my expectations. And based on people who went and listened to the streams, I'd say there was a very strong consensus that the shows were awesome. And the Freebird was great, it was fun.

Alan, not questioning musical ability. Just making an odservation that its terrible that 30 people showed up
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#293638 10 months, 2 weeks ago
^^^^

Maybe Phil doesn't care if 30 people show up, maybe he wants to play to small crowds and non sold out shows, maybe Shapiro likes hearing his name mentioned in the same sentence with Phil Lesh, maybe it's not all about squeezing every last penny out of the music, maybe when the music starts, logistics and $ don't matter
-- smell every flower --
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#293640 10 months, 2 weeks ago
kevin wrote:
^^^^

Maybe Phil doesn't care if 30 people show up, maybe he wants to play to small crowds and non sold out shows, maybe Shapiro likes hearing his name mentioned in the same sentence with Phil Lesh, maybe it's not all about squeezing every last penny out of the music, maybe when the music starts, logistics and $ don't matter

Maybe. DOunbt it though. Again, I am only asking where are all the heads? There used to be 5k people outside a dead venue not even getting in. And now Phil cannot draw more than a few hundred on the east coast? WTF......... Does He sell out broomfield?
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds