• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadegad
Expert Boarder

Re: Ex-Bassist for the Grateful Dead Strikes a Deal

#293548 5 months, 1 week ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....

I'd say more than 10 million. Here's a question: was anyone doing back flips when this incarnation of Phil and Friends was
announced?

Frankly I'm not sure what to make of Dark Star>Free Bird>Dark Star.

I was wondering about the attendance at The Cap too? With shows in NYC they were always tough to get. TicketBastard must be one reason. The Beacon Residency in 2012 was a Bitch to get tickets for and the 2014 Cap run seems to be a response to that. With the Brooklyn summer shows were an exception in that they were also easy to get tickets for. That was probably due to it being a GA field and it being so far out in Brooklyn. Whenever the shows are in Manhattan? Look out.

So let's hope Furthur factors that in after the Hiatus an plays regional Residencies. They will be back!

Yeah no back-flips here. I did not know about that song sequence. Weird.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#293551 5 months, 1 week ago
Well there is no lack of differing opinions on this site. Amazing.

I actually thought the dark star>freebird>dark star sounded very intriguing and fun.

Perhaps 2014 will be a banner year for new band incarnations. How about Jeff C, John and Joe start a new band together with Barry Slass (ok I know I am wrong on that last name, the bro who played on Weir Here one night and was incredible..........you smart people know who I am talking about) and ????

Or??????

Idk, I was just thinking that maybe there are some new things out there that could be cool, not just Phil with ___________ or Bob with __________________.

And of course that is never to say that I don't love both Bobby and Phil and want to see them too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#293552 5 months, 1 week ago
Griff wrote:
I actually thought the dark star>freebird>dark star sounded very intriguing and fun.
yuck, but it is clear there is more from where that came
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#293556 5 months, 1 week ago
ChefArugula wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
This is great for Phil and his family. This is a sharp business move as well. It's a new world now (besides his age and health), and if these guys haven't learned anything from their mistakes, that would be unfortunate. They didn't care about business because Jerry didn't care much about business. It made it easy to not care about business. Even if they don't care a great deal about business now, I don't think any of them want to look in the mirror and think, "That was another bad decision. Haven't I learned anything over the years?" It's a pride in yourself type deal if nothing else. Make smart decisions, not only because of money, but out of pride and self-awareness. Another challenge to best. I think everything about this is smart. And I don't blame Shapiro for wanting to take on that Bill Graham-like presence in this music. He's making it happen.

It's terrible for me. I have no plans to go west, though I miss visiting. I'm not going to NYC. Period. The only live music I care to attend anymore is that with Phil. So personally, this would mean no shows next year. Not a real big deal, though. The music is alive and well. That matters. Not out of some hippie dippy positivism, either. I selfishly want this music to continue [with Phil], and though his decisions take a hit on my potential experiences, I have a lot of respect for how he's handling playing at this stage in his life, including these business maneuvers. I'm impressed with this deal, even though it clearly negatively affects me.

What does "hippie dippy" mean?

Stereotypically? Check out George Carlin's 'weatherman skit from the 70's....
Classic!!!

Takin' it in stride!
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#293557 5 months, 1 week ago
So anyone have an opinion on how Phil could not sell 2k tickets? On a weekend to boot. Id be a tad embarrassed myself. Has the scene died out that much? Perhaps it did have to do with the line up. Not sure. But cmon, phil with anyone should sell 2k tickets.....
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293558 5 months, 1 week ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Griff wrote:

Yeah, especially when there's all those Dylan and Beatles songs they could be playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#293560 5 months, 1 week ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
Griff wrote:

Yeah, especially when there's all those Dylan and Beatles songs they could be playing.

Phew. Thats an odd sandwich......... I guess it could be worse.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#293563 5 months, 1 week ago
Ratdog where are you?????
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#293573 5 months, 1 week ago
Denver Man wrote:
Ratdog where are you?????

Perhaps a Claypool tour with Ratdog Mark. Oysterhead opens for RD, then they jam together. That would be awesome.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#293575 5 months, 1 week ago
Griff wrote:
Well there is no lack of differing opinions on this site. Amazing.

Perhaps 2014 will be a banner year for new band incarnations. How about Jeff C, John and Joe start a new band together with Barry Slass (ok I know I am wrong on that last name, the bro who played on Weir Here one night and was incredible..........you smart people know who I am talking about) and ????

Or??????

Idk, I was just thinking that maybe there are some new things out there that could be cool, not just Phil with ___________ or Bob with __________________.

And of course that is never to say that I don't love both Bobby and Phil and want to see them too.

Love to see Victor Wooten or Steve Bailey jam on bass with them..
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by newyawker.
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds