AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

Re: Ex-Bassist for the Grateful Dead Strikes a Deal

#293516 9 months, 4 weeks ago
ecojaded wrote:
~~by the waterside I will rest my bones~~
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
~~to rock my soul~~

I am staying home in 2014 (after Mexico) anyways so I have little personal vested interests.

Nothing but happy for Phil & Jill Inc. TXR East should be a profitable venture with Shapiro. Blessed are the NY heads.

Phil and Jill, Inc?

If they go public I might buy, depending on the ipo price
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#293531 9 months, 4 weeks ago
This is great for Phil and his family. This is a sharp business move as well. It's a new world now (besides his age and health), and if these guys haven't learned anything from their mistakes, that would be unfortunate. They didn't care about business because Jerry didn't care much about business. It made it easy to not care about business. Even if they don't care a great deal about business now, I don't think any of them want to look in the mirror and think, "That was another bad decision. Haven't I learned anything over the years?" It's a pride in yourself type deal if nothing else. Make smart decisions, not only because of money, but out of pride and self-awareness. Another challenge to best. I think everything about this is smart. And I don't blame Shapiro for wanting to take on that Bill Graham-like presence in this music. He's making it happen.

It's terrible for me. I have no plans to go west, though I miss visiting. I'm not going to NYC. Period. The only live music I care to attend anymore is that with Phil. So personally, this would mean no shows next year. Not a real big deal, though. The music is alive and well. That matters. Not out of some hippie dippy positivism, either. I selfishly want this music to continue [with Phil], and though his decisions take a hit on my potential experiences, I have a lot of respect for how he's handling playing at this stage in his life, including these business maneuvers. I'm impressed with this deal, even though it clearly negatively affects me.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, karenrose
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#293532 9 months, 4 weeks ago
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well Said !
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#293534 9 months, 4 weeks ago
Agreed!
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#293536 9 months, 4 weeks ago
There is one reason for this venture. PHIL DOES NOT WANT TO TOUR. He is announcing months in advance his plans for 2014.
It is not simply a business decision. Phil wants to play to his fans without sleeping in various hotels throughout the country.

Port Chester is not NYC, it is a suburb completely without the hassle of NYC or the ways and means that just won't let you be.
Mr. Shapiro should be commended for putting this together. Is he making $ putting on these shows? I hope so.

I for one am excited for these shows and look forward to them.

-- smell every flower --
karenrose
Platinum Boarder
What a long, strange trip it's been..

#293537 9 months, 4 weeks ago
and this is only for 2014, correct? Let's wait & see what happens after that, God willing that Phil's still going...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ChefArugula
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293538 9 months, 4 weeks ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
This is great for Phil and his family. This is a sharp business move as well. It's a new world now (besides his age and health), and if these guys haven't learned anything from their mistakes, that would be unfortunate. They didn't care about business because Jerry didn't care much about business. It made it easy to not care about business. Even if they don't care a great deal about business now, I don't think any of them want to look in the mirror and think, "That was another bad decision. Haven't I learned anything over the years?" It's a pride in yourself type deal if nothing else. Make smart decisions, not only because of money, but out of pride and self-awareness. Another challenge to best. I think everything about this is smart. And I don't blame Shapiro for wanting to take on that Bill Graham-like presence in this music. He's making it happen.

It's terrible for me. I have no plans to go west, though I miss visiting. I'm not going to NYC. Period. The only live music I care to attend anymore is that with Phil. So personally, this would mean no shows next year. Not a real big deal, though. The music is alive and well. That matters. Not out of some hippie dippy positivism, either. I selfishly want this music to continue [with Phil], and though his decisions take a hit on my potential experiences, I have a lot of respect for how he's handling playing at this stage in his life, including these business maneuvers. I'm impressed with this deal, even though it clearly negatively affects me.

What does "hippie dippy" mean?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#293540 9 months, 4 weeks ago
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChefArugula
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293545 9 months, 4 weeks ago
newyawker wrote:
What I do find quite odd is the Cap was not close to selling out. It holds 2k and could not be filled? How can this be since it is a 5 iron from anywhere in the Tri State area? And please dont respond with the "Well it leaves more room for me to dance" quip. There 10 million people within an hour driving of this place.....

I'd say more than 10 million. Here's a question: was anyone doing back flips when this incarnation of Phil and Friends was
announced?

Frankly I'm not sure what to make of Dark Star>Free Bird>Dark Star.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker, ChefArugula
ChefArugula
Expert Boarder
The Turtle abides....

#293547 9 months, 4 weeks ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:

What does "hippie dippy" mean?

Stereotypically? Check out George Carlin's 'weatherman skit from the 70's....
Time to create page: 5.50 seconds