• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

Re: Ex-Bassist for the Grateful Dead Strikes a Deal

#293503 11 months, 2 weeks ago
I would interpret what Shapiro is doing is committing to take on the job of promoting Phil, thus representing him on the business side of things. So Shapiro is serving as a broker of sorts. He can sell Phil's time to Broomfield, Vibes, or whoever he chooses, and I'd think in accordance with the kinds of places Phil wants to play. Two nights at the Vibes barely constitutes a residence, but Phil has a special relationship with that fest.
Chester
More or less in line

#293505 11 months, 2 weeks ago
rippleish20 wrote:
Chester wrote:
Rippleish, I responded in the spin off thread. But yeah, I get it. I just think Co. and a few other places may get some shows too.

The spawned threads are annoying...

But I'm thinking Shapiro expected the exclusivity of the deal to brings fans from every corner of the country means the deal means Shapiro has to be involved in shows outside TXR.

I would bet no other shows...

You may be right. But I hoped I could get back to Co. for some shows again. Well, Vegas isn't too far by plane.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#293506 11 months, 2 weeks ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
I would interpret what Shapiro is doing is committing to take on the job of promoting Phil, thus representing him on the business side of things. So Shapiro is serving as a broker of sorts. He can sell Phil's time to Broomfield, Vibes, or whoever he chooses, and I'd think in accordance with the kinds of places Phil wants to play. Two nights at the Vibes barely constitutes a residence, but Phil has a special relationship with that fest.

So how is it any different than? Shapiro just becomes Jill? I didn't read it that way. It sounds like Pete want's Phil to only play his joints and that he is paying him for those exclusive rights. Why would he have him play vibes instead of just throwing another run at the Capital?

That being said I don't know what this means for other, non-Pl&F shows at places like vibes.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293507 11 months, 2 weeks ago
B-Rad wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

So how is it any different than? Shapiro just becomes Jill? I didn't read it that way. It sounds like Pete want's Phil to only play his joints and that he is paying him for those exclusive rights. Why would he have him play vibes instead of just throwing another run at the Capital?

That being said I don't know what this means for other, non-Pl&F shows at places like vibes.

As I interpret it Shapiro is giving Phil a guaruntee, thus taking on the risk of whether he sells out every show, or sells marginally. I think Shapiro is kind enough to not try and deprive something like the Vibes an opportunity to have someone from the GD play there, as has been tradition. Who knows, maybe this year there's no Phil at Vibes, but I doubt it.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#293508 11 months, 2 weeks ago
B-Rad wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

I think Shapiro is taking a chance by guaranteeing Phil a certain income and Phil is getting a TXR east without having to buy a venue. The Cap shows filled in but were in no way sold out. people were giving away tickets by the end of the second night, the third night they were going for $20 and the last night they didn't even bother giving us wristbands for the floor as it was only 2/3 sold. The Phila shows are seated and you can do the pick a seat thing. If you looks at the chart, they are maybe 40-60% sold. Making money off of a large number of Phil shows is not guaranteed.
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by rippleish20.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293509 11 months, 2 weeks ago
rippleish20 wrote:
B-Rad wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

I think Shapiro is taking a chance by guaranteeing Phil a certain income and Phil is getting a TXR east without having to buy a venue. The Cap shows filled in but were in no way sold out. people were giving away tickets by the end of the second night, the third night they were going for $20 and the last night they didn't even bother giving us wristbands for the floor as it was only 2/3 sold. The Phila shows are seated and you can do the pick a seat thing. If you looks at the chart, they are maybe 40-60% sold. Making money off of a large number of Phil shows is not guaranteed.

I concur. The only guarantee it seems is for Phil. Promoters have to take risks, it's a gamble. How you sell it is something else, and I'd guess Shapiro wants to insure that Phil brings the goods to the table. For all we know Phil and the Q will be playing a bunch of these shows, and that would be an easy sell. This should be interesting.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#293510 11 months, 2 weeks ago
~~by the waterside I will rest my bones~~
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
~~to rock my soul~~

I am staying home in 2014 (after Mexico) anyways so I have little personal vested interests.

Nothing but happy for Phil & Jill Inc. TXR East should be a profitable venture with Shapiro. Blessed are the NY heads.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#293512 11 months, 2 weeks ago
nevermind
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by 23atwell.
ChefArugula
Expert Boarder
The Turtle abides....

#293513 11 months, 2 weeks ago
ecojaded wrote:
Leaves 10 shows unaccounted for!?

(((((((Lebanon KS)))))))))

A ten show run in Lebanon, Kansas certainly would set Middle America all atwitter....
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#293515 11 months, 2 weeks ago
23atwell wrote:
nevermind

I caught that before your edit

Suffice it to say this isn't your father's GD
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds