• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

Re: Dead 2015

#290224 10 months, 3 weeks ago
I still think it would be cool if Phil/Billy/Bobby would come out on stage to open the show, and do a few Warlocks numbers. Then the other members would come out.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#290225 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Its totally cool. I always respected the Dead for generally not falling into the anniversary hype. 2003, 2004, 2009 were no special anniversary dates. I also believe the greatest creativity from the post-GD lore has happened in the last 3 some years with Furthur, MHB, 7 Walkers, P&F and Bob's solo stuff all roaming the land. Even though I will be there no matter what they decide to do, I think disarming those bands I mentioned just to satisfy an anniversary itch is a money grab and nothing more. Its fine, every band does it, and every fan wants it soo .. not much much more I can say..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#290233 10 months, 3 weeks ago
For the record, I am on board for a summer tour ONLY in 2015 to celebrate the anniversary. This summer tour SHOULD be a la Furthur Festivals, with PNF, Ratdog, MHB, 7 Walkers, Robert Hunter, and possibly the core 4 "Dead" type band to close every night. Maybe an acoustic thing (trio)? But I can't help but beg in my mind for Furthur to be part of it as well.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#290240 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Denver Man wrote:
Yes lets replace Russo who plays with total emotion and enthusiasm with the grumpy rhythm devils just so we can get our 50th anniversary fix. Cant wait.

can't say I know what the state of mind is for anybody.

But I can say that the reason I enjoyed the last 4 years was primarily due to the feeling that all the musicians really had a lot of positive high energy. And not to say that Bob and Phil didn't bring energy, but many times it felt like Joe or JK or especially Jeff drove that energy.

I don't want or need any specific musician if they dont have energy.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#290252 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Mickey Hart has been bringing some pretty fine energy to his shows the last couple years... just saying

(finally) looking forward to some Drums>Space in 2015

I love Furthur but I'm up for some change and whatever they bring around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChefArugula
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#290253 10 months, 3 weeks ago
B-Rad wrote:
Actually Phil gave the Wolf to JK who loaned it to Warren for the Symphony gigs. It is JK's guitar and rightfully so IMO.

i may be wrong but i think some random rich dude owns that guitar...bought it at auction and loans it out from time to time
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#290258 10 months, 3 weeks ago
spring mountain high wrote:
B-Rad wrote:
Actually Phil gave the Wolf to JK who loaned it to Warren for the Symphony gigs. It is JK's guitar and rightfully so IMO.

i may be wrong but i think some random rich dude owns that guitar...bought it at auction and loans it out from time to time
I thought the black widow owned it Koons.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
bender
Junior Boarder

#290266 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Love the festival style tour idea but it don't jive with a money grab. More bands means more hands on the loot and less for core4. It would seem if this is a last big payday the boys would look to keep the loot.
bender
Junior Boarder

#290267 10 months, 3 weeks ago
JK does not own Wolf. That's just silly.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#290270 10 months, 3 weeks ago
They all bring great energy when they're doing something they really want to be doing. That enthusiasm somehow gets stunned and stunted when they all get together. Too many chefs in the kitchen? Too old to change old habits when faced with the same variables (each other)? I don't know why, but they clearly enjoy doing their own thing more than the together thing. Not at all appetizing to me to put folks in greater situations into a lesser situation just for a cheese factory.

I'm a HUGE Bill K fan, and I don't say that just as a preface or disclaimer. But he hasn't brought positive energy and top shelf drumming to the GD ensemble since the late-70s. When Mickey came back, he became a different drummer. He didn't make any semblance of a return to that pre-Hart Hiatus until he started playing in his own bands. For whatever reason(s), he becomes a lesser drummer when he gets with Mickey (wasn't the case when it was pre-hiatus). I'm not claiming he doesn't enjoy playing with Mickey. He clearly did in 2009. I'm saying he doesn't play at nearly his capacity when he gets with Mickey. And if Bill is having physio/health problems, that ain't good at all if you want to catch Bill at a high level of drumming.

If I'm comparing Russo/Furthur with Bill/Mickey/The Dead, I'll take Russo eight days a week. If we're talking Russo/Furthur, Bill/7 Walkers, and Mickey/MHB, then it gets a lot more complicated. Honestly, I'd rather see Russo/Molo hammer away than Bill/Mickey if we're going to obsess on a dual drummer deal. But now I'm just getting as silly as the rest of this thread.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChefArugula
Time to create page: 1.17 seconds