• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

(Patriot Act) Extended til June 2015

#28523 3 years, 2 months ago
SIGN IN | SUBSCRIBE
Work on Capitol Hill? Enjoy free access. Politics
HeadlinesDemocrats Promise to Keep Up Medicare Attacks Through 2012Tulsi Gabbard Running to Succeed Hirono in Hawaii (VIDEO)Poll: Bill Nelson Strong Against GOP RivalsSchneider Launches 2012 Bid to Unseat DoldBetween the Lines: Texas Freshmen Freaked About Perry PowerPalin to Launch Nationwide Bus TourGingrich's Former Aide is a Tiffany LobbyistLawmaker Says Women Should Plan Ahead for RapeBonus Quote of the DayCartoon of the DayBlogsAt the RacesCraig Crawford's
Trail MixColumnRothenbergShop TalkBetween the LinesReferenceElection MapCasualty ListFace TimeMember BirthdaysFundraising Charts: House | Senate Seniority Lists: House | Senate Lobbying
HeadlinesFacebook Extends Lobbying Reach Into GOP CirclesWomen Warn Budget Talks Should Not Be All MalePanama Nabs Additional K Street HelpHighway Money Fight Shifts to StatesK Street Files: Doctors Arrive to Argue for Liability ReformColumnsDavidsonK Street FilesStreet TalkOpinion
HeadlinesCantor: U.S. Must Stand With Israel, Not Dictate ConcessionsReturn of ServeSloan: DOJ Should Do Justice by Prosecuting EnsignGOP Might Want to Rethink the Ryan BoomletBeltway CrossingColumnistsCollenderDavidsonKondrackeOrnsteinRothenbergWolfensbergerCartoonsMatson's WorldRotundaramaContributorsGuest ObserversPolicy BriefingsDefenseHealth CareFreshman PrioritiesMore Policy BriefingsAround The Hill
HeadlinesPhoto from the Attic: Top GunAuthor Lists Best Practices for Whistle-BlowersVoice-Over Vs. Voice-OverDrawing Political Inspiration From BattlefieldsPhoto of the Week: A Lonely ProtestBook ReviewsFood and DrinkHill ClimbersOffice SpaceSportsThings to DoRC Jobs Reid, Paul Reach Deal on PATRIOT Act
By David M. Drucker
Roll Call Staff
May 26, 2011, 2:10 p.m.
Print
Email
Reprints

Text size
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) have reached an agreement that could smooth the way for reauthorization of the USA PATRIOT Act before it expires Thursday at midnight.

Still, the anti-terrorism tools authorized by the law are likley to lapse for a period of time before the measure can be passed by the House and signed by the president, who is travelling in Europe. The Reid-Paul deal, however, could shorten the amount of time the law will be inactive.

Democratic and Republican sources confirmed that Reid has agreed to allow votes on two Paul amendments, including a gun-related measure. However, the agreement must still pass muster with Democrats opposed to the PATRIOT Act who might want additional votes on their amendments, and Republicans who support reauthorization and might oppose the inclusion of Paul's gun amendment.

In a sign that Democratic opponents might be prepared to relent on amendments, Senate Intelligence Chairman Dianne Feinstein on Thursday told two of those Senators during a colloquy that she would hold committee hearings on their concerns following the Memorial Day recess. The California Democrat, who is a strong supporter of reauthorization, also pledged to give them committee votes on their proposals.

Sens. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) indicated their satisfaction, with the expectation that Reid would allow a floor vote on their amendments at a later date. However, other Democrats have concerns and it was unclear if they had been assuaged.

"Reid has just indicated to all of us that he would focus on giving us a vote, if we felt it was needed, on another bill — not the Intelligence Authorization — before Sept. 30," Wyden said during the colloquy. "So that there is a plan to actually get this fixed."

A disagreement between Reid and Paul that first surfaced on Tuesday has threatened to derail the timely reauthorization of the law, first passed in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Reauthorization of the law enjoys strong bipartisan support, although the opposition is also bipartisan.

When Reid initially declined to allow Paul's gun amendment to get a vote, the Kentucky Republican cried foul and used the parliamentary tools at his disposal to force the full debate time on the legislation to be used. Doing so would ensure that the law would expire for a period of time before it is reauthorized.

Reid disputed Paul's account of their agreement, and employed procedural tactics of his own to shorten the debate time. However, Reid's move did not save enough time, leading to further talks in an effort to pass the reauthorization before the law expires. The Obama administration, Reid and Republican leaders in the House and Senate have all described reauthorization as a national and homeland security priority
(“I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.” )
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

Re: (Patriot Act) Extended til June 2015

#28526 3 years, 2 months ago
The same ol' bullshit coming from the Hill
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#28536 3 years, 2 months ago
I watched Rand Paul, on C-SPAN last night...& simply wanted DEBATE on 4 key provisions of the Patriot Act...
(& Reid blocked it)

I find that to be completely contradictory to wat that body is supposed to represent...

Rand Paul articulated perfectly his points & the leadership attempted to stifle any kind of debate....

I was disgusted...
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#28542 3 years, 2 months ago
I was looking for an article on Rand...but since you mentioned him..that should do. I've been reading about Rand Paul this morning via Ron Paul
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#28554 3 years, 2 months ago
& Im a registered Democrat...

he simply wanted gun ownership privacy rights/& FIZA court reenstated, & no warrant wiretaps removed from the Act.

these are your basic civil rights...& the senate leadership wanted the debate blocked...

I now find Reid to be a "TRAITOR" to the constitution...
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#28569 3 years, 2 months ago
meet the new boss, same as the old boss
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#28626 3 years, 2 months ago
its disgusting how they wheel and deal the out right bribery that went down for "obamacare" was deplorable
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 1.39 seconds