• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: Ya think mother earth is about done with us?

#28637 3 years, 2 months ago
I had all the hotties in kindergarten, damn, I get all hot thinking about it right now. Anyways, wasn't it George Carlin that said mother earth isn't fucked up, it's the people, I can't remember the exact quote cause I still remember my kindergarten teacher cornering me near the coat rack, we were both alone. I felt kinda diizzy, but Mr. Thomspson assured me that maybe the apple juice I was drinking was bad. Good old Mr. Thompson, always had my back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#28642 3 years, 2 months ago
HAVE NO FEAR !!! SUPERPLATYPUS IS ON THE JOB. I WILL SAVE THE WORLD, ONE DUCKBILL CHOP AT A TIME.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by DeadHead420.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#28653 3 years, 2 months ago
JStraw wrote:
Oh the drama!

Mother Earth will always win, no matter what we do to her. We are not that powerful. Sure, we can seriously screw her up, but if she really wants to, she can and will destroy us. With the help of her cousins from outer space, she destroyed the dinosaurs, so we are next...

true dat!
sidemouse
Junior Boarder

#28762 3 years, 2 months ago
Considering how the planet is now facing the 6th mass extinction in its history, this time due to humans, I'd say it is humans who are almost done with the earth. The destruction of the rainforests, the oceans, and other critical ecosystems
threaten the earth's natural balance and our own ability to survive. It has been estimated that during periods of normal, or background, extinction, species loss occurs at an average of one every four years. Renowned Harvard biologist Edward O. Wilson has determined that the current rate of extinction is at least 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate. As Richard Leakey put it, "Such a dramatic and overwhelming mass extinction threatens the entire complex fabric of life on Earth, including the species responsible for it: Homo sapiens... Homo sapiens is poised to become the greatest catastrophic agent since a giant asteroid collided with the Earth sixty-five million years ago, wiping out half the world's species in a geological instant."

The Sixth Extinction

Unfortunately, if you mention how the stellar sea cow, the Caribbean Monk Seal, the quaga, and the passenger pigeon were all hunted to extinction by humans, many people will ignorantly claim that that is just "Survival of the Fittest." Those people have probably never even read On the Origin of Species, or ever heard of Alfred Russell Wallace and the Wallace line. They would rather quote the comedian George Carlin as their voice on natural selection. Can you believe that garbage? If you bring up the example of the disappearance of two-hundred fish species in Lake Victoria in twenty years, they simply couldn't care less. Same with the more than 70 MILLION sharks killed by humans for their fins every year. To put that figure in perspective, that is more than the number of people who died in all of World War II. Or just compare that number to the average of 4 humans killed by sharks each year. It is blatantly obvious who is the real danger to whom. Again, that is an estimated 73-100 MILLION sharks killed annually by humans versus only 4 people who die in shark attacks. That is staggering, unsustainable, and completely insane. The Oceanic Whitetip Shark was once the most abundant large animal on the planet, but now it's numbers have declined by 99% due to overfishing. Recent studies have concluded that Hammerheads in the Atlantic have been reduced by 80%, and in the Gulf of Mexico by 90% due to overfishing by humans. The breeding stock of the majestic Western Atlantic Bluefin Tuna has declined by over 80% since the 1970s according to ICCATs own statistics, and yet the committee refuses to implement stricter regulations which are recommended by its own scientists. Despite these sharp declines, all of these species are still allowed to be killed. It has been illegal to catch Dusky sharks, or Bronze Whalers, since 2000, but they are still caught as incidental bycatch and their population has not showed signs of recovery. In the latest stock assessment scientists suggest that rebuilding for duskies could require 100 to 400 years. As fisheries biologist Daniel Pauly has said, ""It is almost as though we use our military to fight the animals in the ocean. We are gradually winning this war to exterminate them."
Indeed, after WWII the machinery of war was turned to the oceans with devastating results. In just 50 years, 97% of leatherback sea turtles have been eliminated from the Pacific. For every pound of shrimp that is caught by trawlers there is an average of 10 pounds of discarded bycatch. To catch shrimp, bottom trawlers drag the bottom destroying everything in their path. It is like clear cutting the forest to hunt for deer. From the 1950's to the 1990's, more than six million spotted, common, and spinner dolphins died in the eastern Pacific alone as "incidental bycatch" by fishermen using purse seines to capture yellowfin tuna. To quote oceanographer Sylvia Earle, "The next time you dine on sushi or sashimi or a swordfish steak or shrimp cocktail, or whatever wildlife from the ocean you happen to enjoy, think of the real cost. For every pound that goes to market, more than 10 pounds- even 100 pounds- may be thrown away as bycatch." (Sylvia Earle, The World is Blue, p. 260) If this trend continues, some marine biologists have predicted that there will be no fish left in the ocean by 2050. There might be some jelllyfish and skates left, but I'm sure people will eat them too. In the 2007 IUCN red list of threatened species, only 1 out of 16,306 species listed made significant progress: The Mauritius echo parakeet was downlisted from critically endangered to merely endangered. The woolly-stalked begonia was declared extinct. (William Stolzenburg, Where the Wild Things Were, p. 213)
The fact is that we have the knowledge and power to protect these species and the natural systems which give us life. What we don't have is the will. It is a damn shame that only a fraction of one percent of the ocean is protected. It's too bad that Brent Mydland's environmental plea, We Can Run, fell on so many deaf ears of "deadheads." As Earle points out, "The Ocean drives climate and weather, regulates temperature, absorbs much of the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, holds 97 percent of the Earth's water, and embraces 97 percent of the biosphere. Far and away the greatest abundance and diversity of life occurs in the ocean... Even if you never have the chance to see or touch the ocean, the ocean touches you with every breath you take, every drop of water you drink, every bite you consume. Everyone, everywhere is inextricably connected to and utterly dependent upon the existence of the sea... Earth's life-support system- the ocean- is failing. But who is paying attention?" (Earle, p. 11)
Are you?

“Many of us ask what can I, as one person, do, but history shows us that everything good and bad starts because
somebody does something or does not do something.”
Sylvia Earle- Oceanographer extraordinaire

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us.”
Jerry Garcia

www.conservation.org
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, PMoondancer , DeadHead420
sidemouse
Junior Boarder

#28807 3 years, 2 months ago
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us.”
Jerry Garcia

www.conservation.org
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#28811 3 years, 2 months ago
great posts sidemouse .i would see the draggers come by while fishing the beach a few days later the beach would be covered with busted clam shells and other bivalves amazing damage.they use spotter planes and encircle the whole school of menhadden (bunker) wiping them out those factory fishing ships are weapons of mass destruction in the truest sense
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds