• Topics not covered in other forums.
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

Re: Truly blows hope JK still plays w/phil

#283700 11 months, 2 weeks ago
23atwell wrote:
kfender wrote:
Truthfully this has been coming for awhile.The first 2 years 2010-2011 were incredible.The last 2 seem more like a money maker to me than anything.Do you know that they played 75 shows in 2011 and have played 75 shows in the almost 2 years since?The ticket prices have increased noticeably and the songbook is not as extensive as it once was.Residencies instead of actual tours.I have enjoyed the last 4 years greatly but am also realistic.Equinox is as probably close to right on as you can be I think.We'll see in a year or so if he is.I think they are being misleading when they say they aren't breaking up.2015 will most likely find the core four sharing the stage once again.Better start saving your money now because it isn't going to be cheap when they do

I aree

I really hope the core 4 return with JK, JC and Sunshine! That would be amazing... Hoping that they do this as a 50 years celebration of Grateful Dead music as was mentioned... Hoping that Billy gets all the physical therapy he needs to heal and joins the party!
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zipster, ChefArugula
theotherone
Junior Boarder

Re: Hiatus!!!

#283705 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Having survived the great "Hiatus Scare" of 1974, this news didn't hit me so hard....it's not like they're all gonna hang up their instruments & quit, they just need the option of being free to play or not play as Futhur. Can you really blame Phil for just wanting to play at his own place in his home town ?
It was way scarier 40 (almost) years ago, lots of folks back then thought that was the end of the road, but I remember a conversation I had back then with a fellow Deadhead...Pete--"You think it's over ? Is it possible we'll never see this magic again ??" (keep in mind, this is fresh off a full year of performing with the Wall of Sound) Me.."Dude, we'll still be goin to shows when Jerry & the boyz are all sporting gray hair! This stuff will become the classical music people listen to in the 21st century!"
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChefArugula
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#283709 11 months, 2 weeks ago
SunshineSue wrote:
As much as I like the other projects, Furthur has been much more fun and much more like "the old days" than any other group for me. Not to mention discovering a whole new internet world along the way. I'm incredibly bummed about this, though I'm very, very glad to have both Red Rocks and Mexico coming up. Still, I feel sick....

Sunshine, I can literally feel your pain as I read your post.....the thing is, 2014 is gonna be filled with many treats and surprises. Think about what these cats have done since day 1.....evolve, evolve, evolve. They had this concept of Furthur, put it together and created an incredible run that we all got to share in. Now....they want to do the same thing in different formats. When you step back and think about it, how lucky are we?! In 2014 we'll have the privilege of attending many different forms of our world...

Bobby will be doing his symphony orchestra
Weir Here will be touring
According to actual band members, RatDog will be back on the road
TRI broadcasts
TRI Allstars possible tour
Phil and the family band doing many shows at Terrapin
Phil and Friends on the road with such amazing musicians
Bobby and Phil continuing their relationship with the Cap and playing there in different formats
Rumor has it that Lucas Nelson is collaborating with Bob on some interesting stuff
Possible WRG Trio again
Sweetwater
The festivals next summer should be super interesting with all the different formats
All these beautiful collaborations and we haven't even seen what JK and Russo will be up to?!

This is just for 2014, never mind 2015 which we all know will bring us something very special to say the least!!

I had the pleasure of seeing Furthur 37 times and of course I was a bit taken back by the news but the more I think about it, the more excited I am for the future. I expect the evolition to continue in 2014 and can't wait to see what surprises Bobby and Phil have in store for us over the next year....The gift that keeps on giving.....Thank you so much Furthur!
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Zipster, ChefArugula
Sweet Ann Marie
Junior Boarder
My heart is like a wheel, let me roll it to you.

#283710 11 months, 2 weeks ago
it's been my experience that the only thing these boys have ever been good at is mixing it up and changing things. I'm okay with Furthur going on hiatus... i strongly believe the next incarnation will be the 50th anniversary, including Mickey and Billy for a summer of shows. But thats it.

otherwise, i'm hoping that Ratdog reforms and starts to tour again, but i'm realistic about the territory and frequency they will cover... i'm lucky, living in CA I can be up at TxR or TRI at the drop of a hat if work would just get off my nuts for six continuous seconds...

I'm going to MISS THIS... it was a comfy experience... bigger than their side projects, so loads of socializing and fun, but not nearly as big as the Circus / Travesty that was the Grateful Dead in the last eight years. i'm at their last seven, so i'll dance extra hard... and try to get tix for NY's which i'm sure will sell out quicker than normal (that's okay, the 30th has traditionally been the better show musically...) to say "see ya later" to all you fine folks both from RD.org and here...

And the wheel keeps turning.....
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, ChefArugula
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#283722 11 months, 2 weeks ago
did someone say WRG
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#283729 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Scaring the Children.... I m there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

#283734 11 months, 2 weeks ago
I awoke this morning to some scary news, I heard that Furthur was going to take a Hiatus in 2014 and for a moment my heart sunk as my beautiful wife Donna told me of this sad news. We stared at our morning coffee and just looked at each other for a moment and then we both said as if at the same time, "Sure glad we went to Locken" Because Locken was one of the best of the 25 plus Furthur show's we saw together. The band is tight, they are having fun, but at times it seemed like they were doing some serious work up there. Work is hard and especially when you are in your latter years and frankly do not have to worry about where your next meal is coming from.

But at Locken we also saw Phil having a riot watching the Punch Brothers and dancing his booty off, the later he also was playing with his sons and had the biggest grin, we also saw Bob and JK having a riot playing with other Pfriends too. So I guess Furthur is not the end, it is the beginning and some of us will get to see our favorite music again, some of us in RR others in Mexico. Maybe its time for everyone to take a break and relax a little. Listen to some tapes and sit with some friends on a back porch in July.

I know this, Phil once said he wished the Grateful Dead had taken more time off to relax and then maybe Jerry would still be with us rocking it. Well maybe...but in any case after reflecting on this all day and reading other Phriends posts that's my two cents.

Peace and Love and see you on the road,

Zipster
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, deadegad, SunshineSue, Phred, ChefArugula
sandflea
Fresh Boarder

#283755 11 months, 2 weeks ago
I don't post in here often, but I have to tonight. That big ol' wheel of time is still turning, and here we are. It's doesn't slow down.

I think I got the best I could out of the past 4 years or so. Probably saw about 20 shows, many at festivals. Lockn' was a huge treat, and honestly I thought the band sounded amazing. Such a historic event.

I've been saying "It's all about the music" on and on for the last 18 years, especially to my friends who idolize Jerry and his legacy. I still feel this way, but today hit me a little hard. Some of it is the fact that this change is yet another on my journey. A milepost. Saw my first show in the Spring of 84, so I'm no youngster. Still, this news rings like a bell. I just saw these fellas play till nearly 3:30AM (I had help and I still couldn't hang). There was so much energy and vibe - so many collaborations, harmonies, sweet melodies and bad ass jams!

Based on what I saw at Lockn' - I don't think this is an ending. I hope not. I'm just so glad that I was there.

Peace, my friends. God bless.

JDR
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Zipster, SunshineSue
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#283760 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Orphan post here . . .can't figure out how to delete it.
Bound to cover just a little more ground . . .
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Stonedbeetle.
ChefArugula
Expert Boarder
The Turtle abides....

#283834 11 months, 2 weeks ago
jaredlang wrote:
I heard from a very unreliable source that the reason for this hiatus is that JK wanted to spread his wings and devote more time to the JKB band. The Locken festival was actually an audition for their new guitarist. The boys will be back on the road this spring with their new guitarist Trey Anastasio and the band from that point on will be known as Phurthur.

Good one!!
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds