• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kfender
Gold Boarder

Re: Truly blows hope JK still plays w/phil

#283660 11 months ago
Truthfully this has been coming for awhile.The first 2 years 2010-2011 were incredible.The last 2 seem more like a money maker to me than anything.Do you know that they played 75 shows in 2011 and have played 75 shows in the almost 2 years since?The ticket prices have increased noticeably and the songbook is not as extensive as it once was.Residencies instead of actual tours.I have enjoyed the last 4 years greatly but am also realistic.Equinox is as probably close to right on as you can be I think.We'll see in a year or so if he is.I think they are being misleading when they say they aren't breaking up.2015 will most likely find the core four sharing the stage once again.Better start saving your money now because it isn't going to be cheap when they do
mcdoubleberger
Fresh Boarder

#283662 11 months ago
I was very sad to hear about the hiatus. I feel so lucky to see the shows that I did. Every single one of them was luminated with inspiration. The highlight for me was Edgefield last summer, everything about that 3-day run was amazing. I am relatively new to the scene (First show in 2009), so Furthur is all that I've known. I was standing in line to buy a beer in Edgefield and an older head standing in front of me turned around and said, "You know, if you close your eyes for a moment, it's just close enough to pretend." I feel like that was a great description of the band. Although I was never lucky or old enough to see the Grateful Dead, I can proudly say that I have seen a little further, thanks to Furthur. I am excited to see what the future has in store. I still haven't seen Mickey or Billy play, and I hope we can get a reunion tour. Also, I would love to see Rob Barracco from DSO on stage with the boys. He can really play those Pigpen tunes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonedbeetle, ChefArugula
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#283663 11 months ago
welcome to the board McDouble!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcdoubleberger
djmac
Fresh Boarder

#283664 11 months ago
kfender wrote:
Truthfully this has been coming for awhile.The first 2 years 2010-2011 were incredible.The last 2 seem more like a money maker to me than anything.Do you know that they played 75 shows in 2011 and have played 75 shows in the almost 2 years since?The ticket prices have increased noticeably and the songbook is not as extensive as it once was.Residencies instead of actual tours.I have enjoyed the last 4 years greatly but am also realistic.Equinox is as probably close to right on as you can be I think.We'll see in a year or so if he is.I think they are being misleading when they say they aren't breaking up.2015 will most likely find the core four sharing the stage once again.Better start saving your money now because it isn't going to be cheap when they do

I have no problem with "residencies instead of actual tours" given the fact that Phil is in his early 70s and Bob in his mid 60s. If, as correctly pointed out earlier, drumming is a young man's game, then sure as shit extensive cross country touring 4-5 months out of the year is as well. And keep in mind that the spring tour of 2011 was a big "residency" tour with 75% of that tour occurring in NYC, Boston and Philly. Anyway . . .

The point about the shrinking songbook is dead nut on the mark. I was noticing and discussing this in earnest with friends after this summer tour. Many of the covers that made 2010 and particularly 2011 so fun and unpredictable (The Abbey Road material, Fool in the Rain, Train in Vain, Time, Feelin Alright, etc) as well as the new original material that they worked out in the 2010-11 time frame had all but vanished. Granted, the song selection was an upgrade if you are holding it up against latter era-GD in the sense that songs Garcia abandoned decades earlier were being played, but it was markedly different from where Furthur started. And nothing new was coming along. Hell, even Phil & Friends east coast shows in July leading to vibes lacked a lot of variance, Penn's and one of the nights at Vibes were very similar. The redundancy of the setlists, the incredible shrinking first set phenomenon on the summer tour, combined with the drama with Bob's health in the spring etc. makes this current announcement less than surprising, but disappointing just the same. This just smelled like a band not riding the same wave it had been less than two years earlier, and that's before we even get to the quality of play which had grown uneven at times in 2013. And then you factor in that Phil is playing a lot more with his kids, as well as Bob and TRI and none of this is a surprise. And all of THAT is before we get tow hatever the dynamic between Phil and Bob may be these days. I suspect that Mexico is only being played because it was booked and they would lose money if they pulled that off the boards.

Having said all of that, I was still enjoying the shows I hit in 2013 as much as 2011 and with the novetly factor of the 2010-11 experience having worn off, it felt like old times with tour after tour and figuring out when, where and how to get there. I will miss that, I do not quite enjoy the P&F vibe as much since the very "side players" vibe they refer to in the press release/statement seems to be a bit in play for this upcoming tour of his since he is breaking in new players. Plus I truly love Bob's presence, vocals and playing. Sadly, Ratdog does even less for me given the molasses-like tempos in which they thrive.

I don't think we will see a reunion with the Devils, the bad blood seems a bit too far gone for even a money grab to resurrect. What I do think I will start doing in addition to convenient Phil shows is finding JK and his band on the road. I like what he brings to the table a lot and may actually miss that the most in all of this since it may be the hardest to find again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Zipster, kfender, Strider1, DrippingColors
stricken
Gold Boarder

#283666 11 months ago
djmac wrote:
kfender wrote:

I have no problem with "residencies instead of actual tours" given the fact that Phil is in his early 70s and Bob in his mid 60s. If, as correctly pointed out earlier, drumming is a young man's game, then sure as shit extensive cross country touring 4-5 months out of the year is as well. And keep in mind that the spring tour of 2011 was a big "residency" tour with 75% of that tour occurring in NYC, Boston and Philly. Anyway . . .

The point about the shrinking songbook is dead nut on the mark. I was noticing and discussing this in earnest with friends after this summer tour. Many of the covers that made 2010 and particularly 2011 so fun and unpredictable (The Abbey Road material, Fool in the Rain, Train in Vain, Time, Feelin Alright, etc) as well as the new original material that they worked out in the 2010-11 time frame had all but vanished. Granted, the song selection was an upgrade if you are holding it up against latter era-GD in the sense that songs Garcia abandoned decades earlier were being played, but it was markedly different from where Furthur started. And nothing new was coming along. Hell, even Phil & Friends east coast shows in July leading to vibes lacked a lot of variance, Penn's and one of the nights at Vibes were very similar. The redundancy of the setlists, the incredible shrinking first set phenomenon on the summer tour, combined with the drama with Bob's health in the spring etc. makes this current announcement less than surprising, but disappointing just the same. This just smelled like a band not riding the same wave it had been less than two years earlier, and that's before we even get to the quality of play which had grown uneven at times in 2013. And then you factor in that Phil is playing a lot more with his kids, as well as Bob and TRI and none of this is a surprise. And all of THAT is before we get tow hatever the dynamic between Phil and Bob may be these days. I suspect that Mexico is only being played because it was booked and they would lose money if they pulled that off the boards.

Having said all of that, I was still enjoying the shows I hit in 2013 as much as 2011 and with the novetly factor of the 2010-11 experience having worn off, it felt like old times with tour after tour and figuring out when, where and how to get there. I will miss that, I do not quite enjoy the P&F vibe as much since the very "side players" vibe they refer to in the press release/statement seems to be a bit in play for this upcoming tour of his since he is breaking in new players. Plus I truly love Bob's presence, vocals and playing. Sadly, Ratdog does even less for me given the molasses-like tempos in which they thrive.

I don't think we will see a reunion with the Devils, the bad blood seems a bit too far gone for even a money grab to resurrect. What I do think I will start doing in addition to convenient Phil shows is finding JK and his band on the road. I like what he brings to the table a lot and may actually miss that the most in all of this since it may be the hardest to find again.

WOW well said. And if you want to see JK mark your calender for Bears picnic in early AUG
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#283667 11 months ago
Zipster wrote:
Stonedbeetle wrote:
I don't think Equinox dropped a black cloud at all. Want to see a black cloud go over to the Phil Zone boards. Its just douchery over there.

What Equinox says in part, is realistic and could be done and be done well. Let's call them 50th Year Celebration shows though . . .

I stopped going to the Phil Boards long ago...there is way to much hating going on there for this old boy (~)

I know that those PZ folks think it's all rainbows and unicorns over here, and there are lots of different opinions regarding Furthur, and all the post Jerry incarnations... Some people only think the Q were worthwhile- lots of ranting & different opinions but I'm ok with that! I'll have to go take a peek over there to see how people are reacting to the news...
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
Last Edit: 11 months ago by LBDowling.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#283670 11 months ago
I didn't mean to offend or insult anybody.This is just my personal view of the last few years.
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#283672 11 months ago
Uh huh, as expected... Jabs and disagreements, kind of like Furthurboard's cranky grandpa... Love them & just accept them as they are
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
kfender
Gold Boarder

#283674 11 months ago
No real jabs or disagreements that I can see
kfender
Gold Boarder

#283677 11 months ago
I totally get the residency aspect.I'm just saying that compared to the first 2 years it now seems like a slow wind down.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds