• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: Why Won't They Play Alpine Valley Anymore???

#28676 2 years, 11 months ago
yep, and they hurt when they are not true
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#28732 2 years, 11 months ago
Wow I'm old. Some of you may remember ASS (Alpine Stress Syndrome) that those of us planninig to attend the shows went through before the 2002 reunion shows 8/3 & 8/4 ..those shows were ON..OFF for a couple a months before the shows.. seeemingly every day... hell the internet was even alive then!!!! Best thing I can say about Alpine Valley is attended all 87-89... camped...2002.... and for whatever reason atteneded and met the coolest people ever on scene there great music ..um legendary.. and despite latter day reports at least from 87-89 security were cool as shit & there to help not bust anyone.......Chill ... is all I can say got a lot of classic stories from that venue I'll share here at some point.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
nastero
Junior Boarder

#28815 2 years, 11 months ago
Bill Walton had a great story about Alpine Valley that he told on his radio show on the GD Channel about 5 years ago. Sadly I don't remember the specifics, but it involved flying through Chicago in between working the NBA playoffs and coming across a herd of heads on their way up to see the shows.

He got on the horn with someone higher up in GD and next thing you know he's in a rental driving up to Lake Geneva to hang with Jerry and the gang and see the shows.
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#28925 2 years, 11 months ago
we (five of us) drove 14 hours straight to go to The Dead family Reunion in 2002- we stayed @ Geneva on the lake. it was August - it was hotter than hell - the hill is way bigger than we remembered from our grateful dead days !it was a good time and we didn't have any issues. and after a quick discussion we decided we would do it again! so bring it on !!
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by irishqueenie.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#29859 2 years, 10 months ago
I went to the '88 shows. People were renting (stealing) golf carts. I saw several turned over in the sand traps in the golf course. Also, people were passed out on the fairways. Plus the Shakedown Street scene was pretty out of hand, even for back then. I would agree that a 37,000 seat venue is way to big for Furthur. Can't blame Furthur or the venue for not scheduling shows there. Kick ass venue though. To bad!
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#29863 2 years, 10 months ago
i for one will never go to anouther show at alpine due to the over board security in the lot. im a paying custumer and because i look a certain way i cant even tailgate with a few buds b-4 tthe show without the pigs hasslin us. tha being said other ones 98 at alpine was magical. so was the family reunion thing, but not as good as 98, remember that Moon!!!!!!!
DAAAAAAAAARK STAAAAAAAAAAR CRASHES!!
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#29908 2 years, 10 months ago
Some arseholes stole my tentpoles there in 89 forcing us to sleep in the Isuzu Trooper which is about the most uncomfortable vehicle ever known to man. Luckily some hippies let me sleep in their popup the next two nights. Those were fun shows, albeit wet ones.
All You Need
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#29943 2 years, 10 months ago
GrayFolded wrote:
^Great point Highway Terror...

Place is HUGE, one of the biggest Lawns in the Country...

Everytime I've seen Phil play there its been with at least a 3 Band bill, no way that Furthur/Dead could play by themselves there, it's just too big and not enough of a fanbase...

Keep in mine that last november at MSG we sould that bitch out. and thats also with no advertising whatsoever on the radio tv. we sold MSG out by word of mouth. So dont underestimate the fanbase. Im sure Furthur could do something there now since they have been building up momentum. And if they really wanted to sell out every venue in america they could just go back to using the name " The Dead" and walaaa there ya go.

I know alpine is much bigger and almost double in size of MSG. But it could be possible with the dead for sure and if they advertised like crazy and went on all these Tv shows like they did to hype up the Dead 09 tour
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Smiley from Texas.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#29966 2 years, 10 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I love Alpine Valley! Whoever said Furthur was playing there in Sept. How do you know?
That would be awesome.
That hill IS steep, one year (can't remember, not gonna try) it was pouring ran and my friend
Was dancing along side the stage, next thing I knew he had slid down the hill & right
Onto the stage, where he kept on dancing(covered in mud) ~ always great times!!

That was probably 1989. I was at the '88 and '89 runs.... it was great. '88 was 110 in the shade. Went to Milwaukee to get a hotel on te day off between shows and were like, "wow, it's cooled off".... temperature outside... 117!

So in '89 we dressed for the heat, except I woke up the morning of the first show and the contents (all my stuff) was floating. I wasn't dry for the whole run... but it was something to behold.
Time to create page: 0.77 seconds