• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
RatdogStyle
Fresh Boarder

Why Won't They Play Alpine Valley Anymore???

#28030 3 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, Just curious here in the land of cheese and cow chips, why Furthur or any incarnations of the remaining members don't or won't play Alpine Valley Music Theater in East Troy Wisconsin anymore?? I know that the local gentry way overreacted to the scene in prep for the Terrapin Station event several years ago, but all seemed to go off smoothly. The venue has since okayed onsite camping to the tune of over 400 sites!! I recall reading in Deadbase(the actual book, not the online version!) that alpine was the grateful dead's #3 most favorite place to play. Why has this changed? Its a naturally beautiful venue that has amazing sound and wondeful atmosphere. Ironically, this year there are only 3 shows booked for the entire summer!! Buffet for one night in June and Pearl Jam for 2 nights on Labor Day Weekend. This is a travesty to say the least. I remember in the mid 1980s they would have as many as 4 shows a week throughout the entire summer!! Is it the venue management? cost? local authorities? previous bad taste from terrapin station shows? Not sure, but this is really sad that one of the last stellar outdoor venues in the country is sitting empty, while bands are playing stuffy indoor venues in the midwest. Shows help out our local economy tremendously as well. Any discussion, official input or where to channel this dialog directly to the band/management would be appreciated. have a happenin' day, joe.com

Quote of the day: "Love my country, fear my government"
The following user(s) said Thank You: nastero, DeadHead420
nastero
Junior Boarder

Re: Why Won't They Play Alpine Valley Anymore???

#28052 3 years, 2 months ago
Totally agree, I saw the Grateful Dead's last run there in 89 (missed "Downhill from Here" but caught the next night) and I saw "The Other Ones" play there at the first Furthur Fest shortly after Jerry's death. It is one of the best venues around and it really is a travesty if it is going unused.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#28053 3 years, 2 months ago
They'll be playing there in September
GrayFolded
Junior Boarder
PhilDropsBombs

#28101 3 years, 2 months ago
Well, I was at the last 2 Phish runs there (09-10') and it was a Police State with little-to-no vending....They have lots of Cops around and a Police Tower set up to look around with....They claim you will be fined $1,000 for vending...Back in the late 90's the place was awesome, Lots were just perfect, but around 03'-04' I think the County got sick of it and really started clamping down at Jam Band shows....

Great on the inside but the Lots are not hip, maybe thats why Phish skipped it this year and Furthur/Dead won't play there anymore...
LeshPhilingBassGreat
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by GrayFolded.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#28104 3 years, 2 months ago
the place holds around 35,000 I hear
It's probably too big
GrayFolded
Junior Boarder
PhilDropsBombs

#28112 3 years, 2 months ago
^Great point Highway Terror...

Place is HUGE, one of the biggest Lawns in the Country...

Everytime I've seen Phil play there its been with at least a 3 Band bill, no way that Furthur/Dead could play by themselves there, it's just too big and not enough of a fanbase...
LeshPhilingBassGreat
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#28113 3 years, 2 months ago
^^^james is right---i think it holds even more like 40,000... either or, furthur wouldn't be able to sell half that place out...when it is sold out that venue is a mad house

people aint kidding though the security there a couple years back during phish was out of control i've never seen any parking lot so fucking lifeless i couldnt even find a bag of herb---everyone thought everyone was a cop
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#28116 3 years, 2 months ago
also forgot to add: IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO ALPINE---GO TO ALPINE...not only is the drive up to wisconsin beautiful but the entire thing is just something you need to experience...i've had the pleasure of standing in the 3rd row, the lawn, and even the little decks up top....IT IS ONE STEEP HILL!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#28117 3 years, 2 months ago
nastero wrote:
Totally agree, I saw the Grateful Dead's last run there in 89 (missed "Downhill from Here" but caught the next night) and I saw "The Other Ones" play there at the first Furthur Fest shortly after Jerry's death. It is one of the best venues around and it really is a travesty if it is going unused.

the video footage is actually from all 3 nights---check out how their outfits change throughout, and i think even one day/night difference...pretty seamless though, i only knew because i looked up the run on deadlists didnt notice the other shit til after my mind was looking for it
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#28131 3 years, 2 months ago
I love Alpine Valley! Whoever said Furthur was playing there in Sept. How do you know?
That would be awesome.
That hill IS steep, one year (can't remember, not gonna try) it was pouring ran and my friend
Was dancing along side the stage, next thing I knew he had slid down the hill & right
Onto the stage, where he kept on dancing(covered in mud) ~ always great times!!

standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by ruby_claire.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds