• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

Re: Phil sings Peggy-O

#276992 1 year, 2 months ago
I know that Phil does not have the best singing voice but he obviously likes to sing it so....... LET PHIL SING!!!!
gregulator
Junior Boarder

#277013 1 year, 2 months ago
I happen to love phil singing peggy-o. of course i loved him singing morning dew, scarlet>fire, help on the way, china doll, days between, jackaroe, eyes of the world, stagger lee, sugaree, etc. through the years.

in fact I can't think of a jerry tune that I don't enjoy Lesh singing, with any band.

don't listen to the haters, Phil! i'll never forget how cool it was when you were singing strawberry fields early on with this band. I love John singing but that doesn't take anything away from my love and appreciation of phil lesh and his vocal contributions with furthur and throughout GD history.

Long live Furthur!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#277015 1 year, 2 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
wlewis wrote:
But what about childhoods end and if the shoe fits??

I was on tour in the 90s when he brought those tunes out and in my opinion they were a disaster.

you forgot wave to the wind
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#277020 1 year, 2 months ago
Gonna be a day soon where Phil is gonna stay home.As an East Coast fan,he may sing every song.To me this is all a miracle he and Bob have this great band they bring round
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#277031 1 year, 2 months ago
gregulator wrote:
I happen to love phil singing peggy-o. of course i loved him singing morning dew, scarlet>fire, help on the way, china doll, days between, jackaroe, eyes of the world, stagger lee, sugaree, etc. through the years.

in fact I can't think of a jerry tune that I don't enjoy Lesh singing, with any band.

don't listen to the haters, Phil! i'll never forget how cool it was when you were singing strawberry fields early on with this band. I love John singing but that doesn't take anything away from my love and appreciation of phil lesh and his vocal contributions with furthur and throughout GD history.

Long live Furthur!

Why the quick quip about a hater? I do not even know what that means.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#277062 1 year, 2 months ago
That's what makes the world go around...we all see and hear the same things but digest them so differently. Personally, I love Phil singing and totally dig his Peggy O from the 09' Dead tour in Uniondale...love that whole show!
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#277076 1 year, 2 months ago
I thought that both Wave to the Wind and If the Shoe Fits where swell songs. Considering that WTTW was written for the coming millennium which has now both come and gone it could in theory be considered a period piece. The song was only played for two years and went through some changes. There is room in this song for it to open up. See 4-1-93 Nassau Coliseum. Plus one well written Hunter line which I will be happy to share.
Wave away my confusion
That drives this delusion
So long I forgot that I could fly
Soar aloft like a songbird
Dancing in the wind
Singing long singing loud singing high

I also liked If the Show Fits. Written by Andrew Charles the lyrics are tough. Take a hike we ain't got all night. The song was played with grit.
Childhood's End is one song I could live without seeing again. Anyone else remember a tune named Mirror of Thalessa?

Back in the day people said that Jerry had a thin voice but an ability to emote. Phil vocal range also is also no threat to either Luciano Pavarotti or Placilo Domingo. Unless Joan Osborne is on hand virtuoso singing is not a requirement for a show to rock. Bring back Joan. In the mean time Let Phil Sing.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#277080 1 year, 2 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Unless Joan Osborne is on hand virtuoso singing is not a requirement for a show to rock. Bring back Joan. In the mean time Let Phil Sing.
Joan as a fellow front person, and Teresa Williams as a dancer.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#277083 1 year, 2 months ago
nycdave wrote:
I thought that both Wave to the Wind and If the Shoe Fits where swell songs. Considering that WTTW was written for the coming millennium which has now both come and gone it could in theory be considered a period piece. The song was only played for two years and went through some changes. There is room in this song for it to open up. See 4-1-93 Nassau Coliseum. Plus one well written Hunter line which I will be happy to share.
Wave away my confusion
That drives this delusion
So long I forgot that I could fly
Soar aloft like a songbird
Dancing in the wind
Singing long singing loud singing high

I also liked If the Show Fits. Written by Andrew Charles the lyrics are tough. Take a hike we ain't got all night. The song was played with grit.
Childhood's End is one song I could live without seeing again. Anyone else remember a tune named Mirror of Thalessa?

Back in the day people said that Jerry had a thin voice but an ability to emote. Phil vocal range also is also no threat to either Luciano Pavarotti or Placilo Domingo. Unless Joan Osborne is on hand virtuoso singing is not a requirement for a show to rock. Bring back Joan. In the mean time Let Phil Sing.

Naah .. WTTW is where I draw the line
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds