• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

Re: 16 Ways to Eat Healthy While Keeping it Cheap?

#27990 3 years, 2 months ago
We have been getting into sprouted grains/beans. Like 83 said stay away from hydrogenated oils..no bueno..high fructose corn syrup ect...

S.tandard
A.merican
D.iet
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#28023 3 years, 2 months ago
@ abba Amercians lack of understanding of what they are ingesting as food is what is the saddest part, I love that nice work.

Also to everyone else thnaks for demonstrating that we "heads" are above the curve in what we eat and how much we understand the importance.

Nice jobs everone truly positive thread.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
joeyf_kms
Junior Boarder

#28201 3 years, 2 months ago
I live off Ramen Noodles, McDonalds and Busch Light
Sasha Flambe
Fresh Boarder

#28217 3 years, 2 months ago
If you want to skip the meat- just make sure to combine a veggie protein with a carb to make a complete protein-
beans & rice
tofu & quinoa
etc.

I stay away from boca burgers or any of that frozen fake meat - that stuff is highly processed and has Hidden msg in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#28220 3 years, 2 months ago
Thumbs up to you sasha
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Sasha Flambe
Fresh Boarder

#28228 3 years, 2 months ago
Thank-you
thumbs up to you as well
sidemouse
Junior Boarder

#28317 3 years, 2 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
And you shouldn't be eating canned anything... canned food is nasty stuff and the tuna has tons of mercury and other heavy metals in it.

This is an important fact to remember, unless you don't care about getting mercury poisoning. I always cringe inside when I hear a weight lifter say they eat tuna straight out of the can. Yuck.

It should also be noted that many tuna populations have sharply declined in the last few decades. They are being killed faster than they can reproduce due to industrialized fishing. Canned tuna should be avoided unless it says the fish was troll or pole-and-line caught. Most canned tuna is caught by longline or purse seine, which also kill countless sharks, turtles, birds, and other species. There are no international regulations on bycatch. ZERO. Why should we only care about dolphins? And even then, the Dolphin-safe labels are a joke. Dolphin populations have still not recovered since that whole campaign started in the 1970s. Innovations have been made to release the dolphins alive, but some of them still die in the nets and the stress the dolphins experience from being frequently chased and captured prevents them from enjoying healthy lives and reproducing normally.

Monterey Aquarium Seafood Watch- Canned Tuna

As for fish oil pills, they are made from small forage fish, such as Menhaden, which are an essential food for top marine predators. By taking so many small forage fish to make fish pills, you are literally taking food out of the mouths of the big fish.
Menhaden are also filter feeders and help to keep the water clean. Is it any surprise that there has been an increase in the number of malnourished fish, and algae blooms in our bays and canals? Where have all the Weakfish gone? Apparently into the bellies of Striped Bass which can no longer find enough Menhaden to eat.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us.”
Jerry Garcia

www.conservation.org
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by sidemouse.
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds