• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: Places the dead was banned, why, allowed back?

#274441 12 months ago
wlewis wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
Red Rocks after 87

what about telluride?

Are you asking if they were banned from telluride?
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
georgiafurthurfan
Junior Boarder

#274445 12 months ago
Giants Stadium after the 78 show.

State Troopers picked the wrong bunch of people to screw with and got their asses handed to them. Dead weren't allowed back for a bunch of years. Same thing happened at Colt Park in Hartford in 76...like more than a dozen cops got hospitalized.
"it's got no signs, or dividing lines, and very few rules to guide"
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#274476 12 months ago
SPAC after 88...gate crashers
gr8ful bruin
Senior Boarder
Mr. Charlie

#274492 12 months ago
MornDuNH wrote:
They were going to be banned from Highgate VT and the Knick in Albany after 95. Both of those were simply chaos - and not in a good way. - I think Highgate never had another concert of any kind after the Dead in 95. Tens of thousands of ticketless ripping up fences and trampling fields... bad scene, especially after how cool the scene had been the year before. A week later in Albany - (which is a smaller indoor venue for those out west) there were drunken moron posers throwing beer bottles at cops from a parking garage, among other things...

Another one that comes to mind is Star Lake outside Pittsburgh - story I heard was banned after two shows in 92 because too many gate crashers, who actually broke down permanent gates.

It is crazy for me (I went to 50 shows all in 94/95) and never had any wxperience with people getting out of control but it sems to have happened a lot outside of CA at the end. I am glad I never had to see the violence, gate crashing, etc. It seems that Touch crowd in places, at times, managed to overwhelm the dead culture and let this shit happen. It is also distressing to hear of the Nitrous crowd going around ithese days. Maybe I am looking back through rose colored glasses but I was there at all the coast shows.

I think that playing outdoor concerts in July/August in 95f/95% humid east coast never made since to me. Especially since our guys are getting older I just don't see the point of them playiong in those conditions it is not good for people in the crowd either.
Go to Terrapin, no really go to TERRAPIN
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#274509 12 months ago
gr8ful bruin wrote:
MornDuNH wrote:
They were going to be banned from Highgate VT and the Knick in Albany after 95. Both of those were simply chaos - and not in a good way. - I think Highgate never had another concert of any kind after the Dead in 95. Tens of thousands of ticketless ripping up fences and trampling fields... bad scene, especially after how cool the scene had been the year before. A week later in Albany - (which is a smaller indoor venue for those out west) there were drunken moron posers throwing beer bottles at cops from a parking garage, among other things...

Another one that comes to mind is Star Lake outside Pittsburgh - story I heard was banned after two shows in 92 because too many gate crashers, who actually broke down permanent gates.

It is crazy for me (I went to 50 shows all in 94/95) and never had any wxperience with people getting out of control but it sems to have happened a lot outside of CA at the end. I am glad I never had to see the violence, gate crashing, etc. It seems that Touch crowd in places, at times, managed to overwhelm the dead culture and let this shit happen. It is also distressing to hear of the Nitrous crowd going around ithese days. Maybe I am looking back through rose colored glasses but I was there at all the coast shows.

I think that playing outdoor concerts in July/August in 95f/95% humid east coast never made since to me. Especially since our guys are getting older I just don't see the point of them playiong in those conditions it is not good for people in the crowd either.

No. I was at many of the gate crasher shows and I didn't even know that it was happening during most of them until I heard about it later. This was a small group of people nit the whole scene.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#274521 12 months ago
they are allowed back now because they aren't "The Grateful Dead."
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#274559 12 months ago
As far as why allowed back to previously banned places; money grab!!! is likely a strong factor.
Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#274611 12 months ago
The band had to cancel a show in Deer Creek on July 3, 1995 after the gate crashing incident the night before. I'm not sure if they were banned, but Jerry passed away a month later and the group disbanded. So far, Furthur hasn't played there. Perhaps bad memories.
mr. nobody
Junior Boarder

#275061 12 months ago
Yup. Colt park in Hartford '76. Big riot ...and the Grateful Dead got banned. Actually I'm pretty sure nobody played there again- they shut the venue down! Ha Ha Ha Ha. I don't remember so many bans but a whole bunch of "stay away"s and no more invitations. Like Lewiston, Laguna Seca, Ventura, Calaveras....Bans were more like The Frost, The Kaiser, The Greek. Got back to the Frost and the Greek w/ Phil and Friends...Calaveras w/ FurthurFest (pretty sure we got re-banned)...Monterey(close to Laguna Seca) w/ Furthur. It's been nice to revisit these old places. The Greeks will be awesome!
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#275063 12 months ago
I don't think the Dead got banned from the Kaiser, I think they got too big. (I know they BROKE the Kaiser one New Years Eve, but they went back after that ) They got so big even the largest venues couldn't hold everybody who wanted to go in. That, to me, speaks of a sad void in society of readily available group activities that are fun and truly satisfiying on a deep level. It's not the band's fault they're the only ones that do what they do and everybody wants to participate. My GDTSTOO Berkeley tickets were delivered yesterday and I am so stoked for this event! I spend a lot of time in Berkeley and this is a dream come true show! See you all there!
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds