• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gr8ful bruin
Senior Boarder
Mr. Charlie

MSG going...What other of OUR venues have closed?

#274131 1 year, 1 month ago
Oakland Arena was the west coast MSG and it has been extensively modified (it still sucks) the floor has been lowered 30 feet etc.

The LA sports arena is a church now (Jerry always made it one for me)) and will be gone soon.

Ventura Raceway is still there, saw JGB there what is would have been like with the dead there where everyone camped literally 100 feet from the ocean.

UCSB gyms has also been modifeid, ellwood field is still there 2/27/77.

Santa Barbara Bowl has hd the stage moved (greatest place I ever saw a concert Redwoods in so cal and a view of the ocean with the sun setting, West Coast Red Rocks

CASBAjerryhand_prov3.jpg

CASBAjerryhand_prov2.jpg

Trunkations
Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com

« Steampunk Pig Needs Home to Grind Gears, Spit Bolts | Main | Motor City Kitty »
Bring Me The Hand Of Jerry Garcia
November 14, 2010
Jerry Garcia was one of those rare individuals who could be recognized without seeing his head.
The Hand.The leader of the Grateful Dead had a well-known beard and stoner smile, but among Deadheads he was instantly recognizable by his right hand, which was missing most of its middle finger. That appendage has now been immortalized, in bronze, three times life size, outside the Santa Barbara Bowl in southern California.
“I always wanted to do an art project of some sort around Jerry’s hand,” said Scott Brittingham, a fan of Garcia. “Something that Deadheads would appreciate.” Scott, whose foundation recently gave $1 million to the Bowl, had the leeway to do pretty much whatever he wanted, but felt that Jerry’s hand was “a far more creative thing to do than naming something for yourself.”
The Hand.The hand is 18 inches tall and stands at face-level atop a rock in a wooded glen inside the gated entrance to the Bowl, where Garcia used to perform. A plaque lists the bands that Garcia played with, a quote from one of his songs, and describes him as a musician, painter, and “Cosmic Explorer.” According to Scott, the sculptor worked from several sources, including an x-ray of Garcia’s hand that he somehow had in his possession.
“It was a really cool attribute of his,” said Scott of Jerry’s hand, and we can imagine Deadheads staring at the Goliath-size appendage, lost in reverie. We asked Scott if he regarded the hallowed hand as something to be admired from a respectful distance, or would it be far freaking out if fans could leave offerings, as they do at the statue of Elvis in Hawaii? “If people want to leave some token of their appreciation,” said Scott, “that would be very Dead-like.”
Go to Terrapin, no really go to TERRAPIN
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

Re: MSG going...What other of OUR venues have closed?

#274143 1 year, 1 month ago
Henry J Kaiser (formerly Oakland Auditorium) in, uhhhh, Oakland! Bummer, that was like the new Winterland in the early-
mid 80's.
ratdog2112
Platinum Boarder
Men never remember, but Women never forget

#274146 1 year, 1 month ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
Henry J Kaiser (formerly Oakland Auditorium) in, uhhhh, Oakland! Bummer, that was like the new Winterland in the early-
mid 80's.

I loved Winterland, I saw my first show there in 1975.
"What I like best about music is when time goes away."
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#274147 1 year, 1 month ago
Oh wow, Winterland. The Pistols played their last gig there
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#274149 1 year, 1 month ago
Spectrum and the Civic Center in Philly.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mortimer
Sweet Ann Marie
Junior Boarder
My heart is like a wheel, let me roll it to you.

#274162 1 year, 1 month ago
I think irvine meadows now called god knows what is being sold for condos
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by Sweet Ann Marie.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#274178 1 year, 1 month ago
the aud in buffalo
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
mortimer
Junior Boarder

#274201 1 year, 1 month ago
Cal Expo
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#274204 1 year, 1 month ago
mortimer wrote:
Cal Expo

isn't it called Sleep Train, or something like that? Maybe used to be after Cal Expo, then it got named after some corporation.
That was a nice place. Nothing fancy, just a good place for the Sacto folks to see a show.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#274239 1 year, 1 month ago
This MSG project sounds bit far fetched. Moving Penn Station? That would be extremely expensive and disruptive to the city. I sort of doubt it. This sounds like the West Side football stadium that never got built. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Venues that are no more....

RFK Stadium in Philly. Site of the 83 Live Aid show and the 87 GD/Dylan show and the 89 GD show with the awesome Blow Away immortalized in a official DVD release. The place was old and decrepit. I think the 89 show was the last or one of the last shows there. I also saw a show there in the early 80's billed as "The Roundup" with the Allmans, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet and a few others I don't recall. Hand me my old guitar pass the Jack Daniels around....

The Spectrum, may it rest in peace. The Dead played one of the last shows there. Bobby was all choked up when he spoke to the crowd at the end of the show. The hours he spent inside the Coliseum....

The Palladium in NYC, formerly known as the Academy of Music. Site of epic GD shows in the 70's which I wish I went to but have listened to a lot. I saw quite a few JGB shows there, and a Bobby and the Midnights show. Later turned into a disco and then demolished.

New Haven Coliseum. Sort of small compared to the other hockey rinks. Saw JGB/Midnights there in June 82 and the GD in Sept of the same year. Check out the 83 (or 84??) show there where during Feel Like a Stranger Bobby ad libs "sometimes everything gets stranger and stranger sometimes its a little like an LSD trip".

The Calderone Theater, Hempstead NY. Big beautiful theater in a run down neighborhood. JGB with Hunter opening, one of only 2 shows where The Bard joins the JGB for a couple tunes, made famous by a WLIR (defunct radio station) broadcast.

The Capitol in Passaic NJ. Many rock shows there in the 70'sbeefore my time. Site of epic GD shows including the 1980 April Fools Promised Land where they switched instruments. Saw a few JGB and JG-John Kahn shows there, great place but security was tough if you tried to light one up. Site of the only two solo Garcia performances. He looked so nervous up there by himself.
These are the good old days!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by BillyDeLion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ol chicken scratch
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds