• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
thundershouter
Visitor

Re: Is Buddhism a religion?

#27082 3 years, 3 months ago
It is my understanding that the word religion does not exist in buddhism. To me, religion infers an organized belief system. This has pros and cons. However, I disagree that a belief system is not a religion. You be a practicing person of some belief system shared by others but not be part of a religion.
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#27088 3 years, 3 months ago
"Those who say, do not know... those who know do not say." Lao Tze... (not really a Buddhist quote.)

It is neither a religion in the sense in which that word is commonly understood, for it is not "a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being."

That being said, I believe it is what it is for the practitioner/believer. For myself it is a philosophy, deeply infused with logic, wisdom and compassion. When you have the wisdom to see the world as it is, you see suffering all around you. From that, if you have wisdom, a natural sense of compassion will arise. What you do with it is up to you.... See the 8 fold path for more instructions.

Likewise, the karma system on here is not reflective of the notion of Karma in Tibetan or Indian Buddhism. It's just an i agree or disagree with you ranking.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by SkiNose.
Lynx
Visitor

#27093 3 years, 3 months ago
Abba Wrote: "So Lynx what type of Buddhism do you get into?? I like Tibetan Buddhism."

I simply practice anapanasati techniques.

You see the setlist of my life often looks like this: Little Money~>Stress~>Digestive Issues~>Miss Work~>Less Money~>More Stress~>Worse Digestive Issues~>Miss More Work, etc. It's a vicious circle.

About 3 years ago I was fortunate to meet someone who had escaped Tibet with the Chinese literally shooting at him as he ran (he actually saw people fall around him as he fled across the boarder). And while we never spoke about the practice of Buddhism just hearing his story and seeing the type of person he was got me interested. Then when I started basic breathing meditation I found that it not only made me a happier, less stressed person, but it also led to increased digestive and over-all health. So I have kept it up and would like to learn more, however I am adverse to any religion. Thus this thread.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by .
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#27108 3 years, 3 months ago
i think buddhism is a religion, just because you do have a set of beliefs or in this case the four noble truths that lead to nirvana. In most religions people pray to a god or gods but in buddhism you turn that energy inward on your self. Your atman is replacing god. I would suggest reading What the Buddah Taught by Walpola Rahula, it is a easy to read.
Lynx
Visitor

#27111 3 years, 3 months ago
Muddy Das wrote:
I would suggest reading What the Buddah Taught by Walpola Rahula, it is a easy to read.

Agreed. It was one of the first I read on the subject.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#27132 3 years, 3 months ago
I can't wait for the PM function... then we could discuss all these things a little bit more in detail. Lynx sounds like a pretty normal "setlist" to me..breathing techniques and mantras...poses....all are great forms of centering ones thoughts. I like the happy gilmore philosophy "Find your happy place"
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#27163 3 years, 3 months ago
Lynx wrote:
Chester wrote:
No, not really. Although some people treat it as one. It's a path to enlightenment. Does not require, nor does it preclude,
belief in a deity. Did that answer your question? : )

Yes... from your perspective. But I disagree based upon the idea that, at least to some extent, something is what we perceive it to be. And most people in the world do not know enough about Buddhism to know that it does not require belife in supernatural deities. Indeed you will often hear Buddhism referred to as the fourth largest religion in the world. So when you say "I'm Buddhist" you lend tacit support to the idea of invisible space giant(s) that meddle in human affairs and that is dangerous in my opinion. Thus I do not call myself a Buddhist because popular perception is that it is a religion, therefore it is, or at least functions as one in society.

Did that answer your question? ;o)

But Tibetan buddhist do believe in a pantheon of gods. They do not believe they are immortals, though. But that there are deities.

And I've been to buddhist temples in Thailand, Indonesia and Hong Kong and some of them seem to suggest that the Buddha is teh christ figure- he was SENT here to teach us enlightenment. This was in Indonesia. So it is a religion if you need it to be a religion. It is not if you do not want it to be.

I consider myself an agnostic buddhist, but my wife snorts at that- she thinks I must sit down and meditiate to be a buddhist, while I disagree. I see meditation in differnt methods... like dancing at a dead show.

But I'm agnostic in that knowing or believing in a "god(s)" or some godhead confounds us spiritually and interferes with our spiritual path. Who cares if god is this or that? It doesn't matter. What matters is that I have compassion (well, try to) and that I am morally a good person. Anything past that I'll figure out when I'm dead.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#27167 3 years, 3 months ago
I like this...." G.O.D' God on duty...tim leary
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Time to create page: 0.77 seconds