• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Lynx
Visitor

Is Buddhism a religion?

#27055 3 years, 2 months ago
I know there must be some people who meddle in Buddhism here... I have been for a while now... so what's your opinion. I say yes (which is why I do not refer to myself as "Buddhist")
Lynx
Visitor

Re: Is Buddhism a religion?

#27061 3 years, 2 months ago
Oh but as an aside, one of the reasons I REALLY do not like the karma system on this forum is that it is a abomination of one of the central parts of Buddhism. If they were called "jesus points" I bet more people would not be in favor of them being part of this board.
Chester
More or less in line

#27062 3 years, 2 months ago
No, not really. Although some people treat it as one. It's a path to enlightenment. Does not require, nor does it preclude,
belief in a deity. Did that answer your question? : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#27063 3 years, 2 months ago
Jesus points sounds like a system where you save up as many points as you can to get a free crucifix.
Lynx
Visitor

#27067 3 years, 2 months ago
Chester wrote:
No, not really. Although some people treat it as one. It's a path to enlightenment. Does not require, nor does it preclude,
belief in a deity. Did that answer your question? : )

Yes... from your perspective. But I disagree based upon the idea that, at least to some extent, something is what we perceive it to be. And most people in the world do not know enough about Buddhism to know that it does not require belife in supernatural deities. Indeed you will often hear Buddhism referred to as the fourth largest religion in the world. So when you say "I'm Buddhist" you lend tacit support to the idea of invisible space giant(s) that meddle in human affairs and that is dangerous in my opinion. Thus I do not call myself a Buddhist because popular perception is that it is a religion, therefore it is, or at least functions as one in society.

Did that answer your question? ;o)
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by .
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#27068 3 years, 2 months ago
I feel it is, since it's an organized system of beliefs to attain an endpoint, and it deals with life outside of our current physical state. While there is no belief in an Almighty God that judges good and evil, there is a system to reach a goal, Enlightenment.
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#27069 3 years, 2 months ago
So Lynx what type of Buddhism do you get into?? I like Tibetan Buddhism. but above all I'm really into shamanism.
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
nastero
Junior Boarder

#27070 3 years, 2 months ago
Any strict adherence to a lifestyle, philosophy, or action/activity is religious. So if anyone adheres religiously to Buddhism and Buddhist teachings it could be considered their religion, as such it could be considered a religion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#27072 3 years, 2 months ago
Thats why I'm into shamanism..no set belief system...

Take what you need and leave the rest
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Chester
More or less in line

#27076 3 years, 2 months ago
I'm not a Buddhist. And I don't support any organized religion. I do tolerate all beliefs though. And I think one can be on a path
to enlightenment, without attachment to any specific "religious", or other rules by which to live. One finds their own path. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JStraw, Abba
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds