• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
karenrose
Platinum Boarder
What a long, strange trip it's been..

Re: Nick Walenda

#265797 1 year, 3 months ago
Since he and his wife both have generations behind them doing this kind of stuff, I suppose they want to also pass it along to their children, exposing them to the thrill as well as the dangers in order to "train them up" in the family business. Not that I agree or not, just a possible explanation...?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, ratdog2112
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#265800 1 year, 3 months ago
Yeah, it was having the kids there that got to me, too. Griff, I truly can appreciate how life-affirming activities like rock climbing without a rope and backwoods skiing must be, and no one believes in the power of positive thinking/visualization more than I do. But the problem is you don't really know that you can do it, or at least you may be wrong. I just saw too many patients come in to the ER after accidents that occurred during activities like sky diving and skiing, many of whom didn't survive or whose lives were permanently changed. And sure, there were a whole lot more from car and in-home accidents, but it's the voluntary factor of the dangerous sports activities that makes them different in my mind. If you're single with no responsibilities, fine, go for it as long as you're well insured and you're not going to make me (or your parents) have to pay for your lifelong care if you become disabled. However, once you throw a kid or even a partner into the equation, imho it becomes a whole different ball game, where one is consciously choosing to risk the emotional and financial security of their families, in a very real way, for the individual's own recreational thrills. But it's definitely not my choice to make for someone else, I sincerely hope I'm not sounding horribly judgmental, it's just an opinion!

And it's differences of opinion and style on just this kind of very, very individual issue that makes the world interesting. These are most definitely only my own thoughts, clearly colored by working in the hospital!

Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff, ratdog2112
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#265818 1 year, 3 months ago
I too enjoy the conversation, another joy in life.

FWIW and being totally honest, I was 26 when I was soloing rock faces and did not have kids at that time. Since they have been born I have definitely pulled my edge back and have not placed myself in as seemingly dangerous situations as the past. Though have not removed and eliminated my risk recreation, just not as sporty as I once was.

I get to appreciate many of these sports with both my kids these days, especially my son. He of course is the kid jumping off of 45 foot cliffs (per some vids I have posted here) and I am actually the one scared, not the other way around. We go rock climbing all the time together and he too gets the keen focus when leading a climb (leading means fall potential).

Though it seemed to me that his kids, and his entire family, shared his exuberance for living an inspirational life. They didn't seem interested in doing this stuff, but certainly appreciated it.

More than anything I like to draw connections between cool things in life. Like I think going to show is a singular experience, nothing else like it. Not death defying, well for most but not all as we know.

I think his walk was like seeing the "greatest" show ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, ratdog2112
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#265822 1 year, 3 months ago
I just saw an interview with Nick on the evening news, and he said if his wife or kids ever asked him to stop doing it, he would. It really is a family venture, with everyone on board, it sounds like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratdog2112
ratdog2112
Platinum Boarder
Men never remember, but Women never forget

#265831 1 year, 3 months ago
Griff wrote:
I too enjoy the conversation, another joy in life.

FWIW and being totally honest, I was 26 when I was soloing rock faces and did not have kids at that time. Since they have been born I have definitely pulled my edge back and have not placed myself in as seemingly dangerous situations as the past. Though have not removed and eliminated my risk recreation, just not as sporty as I once was.

I get to appreciate many of these sports with both my kids these days, especially my son. He of course is the kid jumping off of 45 foot cliffs (per some vids I have posted here) and I am actually the one scared, not the other way around. We go rock climbing all the time together and he too gets the keen focus when leading a climb (leading means fall potential).

Though it seemed to me that his kids, and his entire family, shared his exuberance for living an inspirational life. They didn't seem interested in doing this stuff, but certainly appreciated it.

More than anything I like to draw connections between cool things in life. Like I think going to show is a singular experience, nothing else like it. Not death defying, well for most but not all as we know.

I think his walk was like seeing the "greatest" show ever.

Griff I respect your input and opinion on the subject, I enjoy being able to discuss a subject and get other peoples opinion. I have reach an age where I don't go out and do things out of the ordinary, but back in the day cliff jumping, I use to do it all the time and pretty much just for the rush - the higher the better, now I keep it pretty much to the diving platform in a pool. But I still enjoy the rush. And yes I will agree the walk was amazing. Thank-you
"What I like best about music is when time goes away."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds