• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: Warren to play Wolf on symphonic tour!

#264750 1 year, 4 months ago
Equinox wrote:
His vocals are great on Stella Blue and Comes A Time, IMO. Just heartbreaking.

I saw him do both ( different years) in Jamaica and both bright tears to my eyes!
The voices tell me what to say
georgiafurthurfan
Junior Boarder

#264753 1 year, 4 months ago
I have the highest respect for Warren and enjoy his playing and echo so many's comment about being the hardest working guy in rock n roll. That said, I never really bought in to his playing GD music. As a talented guitarist and great singer he of course sounded fantastic with the Q and hit alot of time honored songs so well when our community needed it.

But his style during jams is so different than what my old ears want to hear just leaves me wanting something. JK and his tone bring that familiar sound back so readily...

I don't know cause music is so subjective...but this old timer would vote to have Warren leave Wolf home. I saw way too many Garcia shows with that axe in his hands
"it's got no signs, or dividing lines, and very few rules to guide"
ratdog2112
Platinum Boarder
Men never remember, but Women never forget

#264756 1 year, 4 months ago
Thank you I appreciate your comments. I really didn't mean to stir up the bees nest on this one, it was just my opinion. I do have the utmost respect for Warren and do appreciate his contribution to the music industry. He is a fantastic guitar player with an awesome voice.
"What I like best about music is when time goes away."
Chester
More or less in line

#264757 1 year, 4 months ago
Getting this setlist from Ratdog.org, in case anyone's interested.

Warren Haynes, and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra 6/18/13

Set 1
Dark Star intro>
Birdsong
Crazy fingers
Scarlet begonias
Shakedown Street
China cat sunflower
Morning dew

Set 2
Mission in the rain (v1 only)>
High time
Uncle John's band
West L.A. fadeaway
Days between
Lady with a fan>
Terrapin station>
Slipknot>
Terrapin station (Not full terrapin)

E- Patchwork quilt
China doll

Looks good. Sounds like the performance was good. Thanks for the setlist Pappy.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Chester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, Equinox, LBDowling, SunshineSue, ratdog2112
georgiafurthurfan
Junior Boarder

#264758 1 year, 4 months ago
To me anyway there's no bee's nest or wrong answer just people expressing their opinions in a respectful way...plenty of room in music for different views me thinks!
"it's got no signs, or dividing lines, and very few rules to guide"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ratdog2112
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#264785 1 year, 4 months ago
Chester wrote:
Getting this setlist from Ratdog.org, in case anyone's interested.

Warren Haynes, and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra 6/18/13

Set 1
Dark Star intro>
Birdsong
Crazy fingers
Scarlet begonias
Shakedown Street
China cat sunflower
Morning dew

Set 2
Mission in the rain (v1 only)>
High time
Uncle John's band
West L.A. fadeaway
Days between
Lady with a fan>
Terrapin station>
Slipknot>
Terrapin station (Not full terrapin)

E- Patchwork quilt
China doll

Looks good. Sounds like the performance was good. Thanks for the setlist Pappy.

Thanks Chester!! I can't wait for Red Rocks!!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#264789 1 year, 4 months ago
Thanks for the set list, Chester! Even more excited for Tanglewood now, especially now with Wolf & a light show! I may have mentioned this before but my mother (gone two years now) in particular used to look forward to seeing the Boston Pops each summer, but always kidded me about the number of GD shows I would go to over the years. She will be smiling down on us for sure this coming Saturday! Symphony/Garcia, perfect match & so happy to bring our boys to hear Jerry's music being performed this way. Have great seats, 4th row I think, & hoping that our little boy, Gavin stays awake for this 8:30 showtime!!!

As far as Warren & Wolf, I get how people feel about Warren doing Grateful Dead songs- I used to feel that with The Dead, and as talented as he was, I felt that every song ended up heavy on the Allman Brothers flavor, not giving me what I was missing, which would always be Jerry. Maybe his voice was too different, maybe overuse of the slide? Not sure but I realized that no one will ever bring me to that same place (Jeff Mattson & JK get close & Jeff I think is tremendously soulful). Warren has a great voice, guitar chops and lots of soul & yes, Stella Blue, Comes a Time, also Ship of Fools & Easy Wind he does really well- I actually really loved him with Phil & Friends at Mountain Jam- so grateful for that webcast to remind me of that! We continue to be blessed with great musicians playing great music and I'm content with that. What more could we really ask for? Also, Wolf has been played by several other musicians since Jerry's passing including Ryan Adams, Chris Robinson, Neal Casal, Barry Sless, Jimmy Herring, and Jeff Mattson, so why not Warren? Someone with Warren's soul and talent playing Wolf to Jerry songs once more? Absolutely!
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by LBDowling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, funky420, ratdog2112
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#264793 1 year, 4 months ago
bambamcdn wrote:
Off to Pittsburgh today.....for the first show

Would love to hear your thoughts- how was the show?
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
ratdog2112
Platinum Boarder
Men never remember, but Women never forget

#264797 1 year, 4 months ago
LBDowling wrote:
Thanks for the set list, Chester! Even more excited for Tanglewood now, especially now with Wolf & a light show! I may have mentioned this before but my mother (gone two years now) in particular used to look forward to seeing the Boston Pops each summer, but always kidded me about the number of GD shows I would go to over the years. She will be smiling down on us for sure this coming Saturday! Symphony/Garcia, perfect match & so happy to bring our boys to hear Jerry's music being performed this way. Have great seats, 4th row I think, & hoping that our little boy, Gavin stays awake for this 8:30 showtime!!!

As far as Warren & Wolf, I get how people feel about Warren doing Grateful Dead songs- I used to feel that with The Dead, and as talented as he was, I felt that every song ended up heavy on the Allman Brothers flavor, not giving me what I was missing, which would always be Jerry. Maybe his voice was too different, maybe overuse of the slide? Not sure but I realized that no one will ever bring me to that same place (Jeff Mattson & JK get close & Jeff I think is tremendously soulful). Warren has a great voice, guitar chops and lots of soul & yes, Stella Blue, Comes a Time, also Ship of Fools & Easy Wind he does really well- I actually really loved him with Phil & Friends at Mountain Jam- so grateful for that webcast to remind me of that! We continue to be blessed with great musicians playing great music and I'm content with that. What more could we really ask for? Also, Wolf has been played by several other musicians since Jerry's passing including Ryan Adams, Chris Robinson, Neal Casal, Barry Sless, Jimmy Herring, and Jeff Mattson, so why not Warren? Someone with Warren's soul and talent playing Wolf to Jerry songs once more? Absolutely!

Thank-you LB, you've open my eye is a way that I really never thought about. Jerry's not with us anymore and the experience that we have had with his music and him will not be the same as it was back in the days. It was an honor to be able to have the opportunity to see Jerry and to have that experience. There has been alot of musician that have tried to fill Jerry's shoes and as a fan I think that has been my problem that I've always waited for someone to fill those shoes. I need to appreciate that I've had that experience and now accept and appreciate the musician that are keeping that experience alive. You said why not Warren? Your right why not Warren w/Wolf.
"What I like best about music is when time goes away."
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420, LBDowling
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#264816 1 year, 4 months ago
Crazy fingers from last night

The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, LBDowling
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds