• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

Re: The Dead 2003

#264551 1 year, 1 month ago
Yes DM you are correct. There were September 03 shows with Joan at both the George and two other Western locations (which were 9/18/03 Irvine, CA and 9/19/03 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA). I actually have copies of these shows I just forgot about them. My bad. I could offer an excuse here (like the shows were not part of the summer tour) but I don't even buy that one. Anyhow, I was very impressed with Joan and her vocal skills. Both her vocal range and abity to bring emotion to the lyrics are IMHO outstanding. I understand if people were not taken with her covers of GD tunes. The nice thing about music is that there is no right or wrong. If you like it you like it, if not, not.
My impression of Joan was like wow, here are GD songs being sung by someone who can actually both sing and bring her own voice to enhance the material, including some wonderful improvisational stuff. In addition to Joan, the 2003 players were Bob, Phil, Bill, Mickey, Jimmy Herring, Rob Barraco and Jeff Chimenti. Lots of other people joined this band for portions of different shows (normally in the first set). This list includes Steve Winwood, Willie Nelson, Greg Osby, Johnnie Johnson, Bob Dylan, Sammy Hagar, Al Schnier, Mark Karan and John Molo.
The people that played with Phil & Friends in 2006 (in addition to Joan) are also some wonderful and familiar musicians, but I will save that list for another time and or thread.
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by nycdave. Reason: Just Besause!
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#264554 1 year, 1 month ago
I remember seeing the Dead at Merriweather years ago, we had seats up front but way off to the side. We could could see Joan back stage hanging out during a song she didn't sing and she was really grooving to the music, she has such great swagger!
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#267731 1 year ago
Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the 5 night run at Red Rocks (7/6, 7/7, 7/8, 7/10, 7/11). It actually started out as 3 nights and then they added 2 more. I hold this tour in high regards since this is where I got back on the bus after a 3 some year hiatus wandering the streets like a lost puppy. This run brought me back home. This was also my wifes (we got married a few months after these shows) grand introduction to live Dead music.

Such an exciting time in Dead history.

A big shout out to Dave for hooking me up with the shows I was missing. I got me some listening to do this weekend!

Cheers!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#267745 1 year ago
I'm impressed that your wife still married you despite u bringing her to a Dead show! LOL
I liked this tour a lot. I also enjoyed New Years 2005 and 2006 when Joan Osborne sang with Phil and Friends. Two songs that knocked my socks off during the RR run were her versions of Morning Dew and the Stella Blue from the last night. One more hi light from RR (I forget which night) is Joan's version of Comes A Time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#267747 1 year ago
nycdave wrote:
I'm impressed that your wife still married you despite u bringing her to a Dead show! LOL
I liked this tour a lot. I also enjoyed New Years 2005 and 2006 when Joan Osborne sang with Phil and Friends. Two songs that knocked my socks off during the RR run were her versions of Morning Dew and the Stella Blue from the last night. One more hi light from RR (I forget which night) is Joan's version of Comes A Time.

I was surprised too! Especially after she had a little too much too fast at her first show and I was thinking "My God what have I done"
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#267801 1 year ago
Your lucky, I had to practically force my ex at gun point to go see her first Dead show. She was not impressed when they opened with Help>Slip>Franklin's, whereas I was like, YES!
ChefArugula
Expert Boarder
The Turtle abides....

#267840 1 year ago
NobleGlassArt wrote:
I saw Joan in 03 and 06, and wasn't impressed. I assumed it was just me, because everyone else seems so fond of her. I went back and purchased P&F with Joan in SF, and my impression remained the same. I have a hard time with female vocals on dead tunes, I didn't care for Donna either.

Well there you go...
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#267873 1 year ago
ChefArugula wrote:
NobleGlassArt wrote:
I saw Joan in 03 and 06, and wasn't impressed. I assumed it was just me, because everyone else seems so fond of her. I went back and purchased P&F with Joan in SF, and my impression remained the same. I have a hard time with female vocals on dead tunes, I didn't care for Donna either.

Well there you go...

The good thing is that there is no right or wrong answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#267879 1 year ago
Denver Man wrote:
ChefArugula wrote:
NobleGlassArt wrote:

Well there you go...

The good thing is that there is no right or wrong answer.

When I first heard Brent in spring of 79 I thought he sang like a girl and I didn't like, but I will go with "there is no right or wrong answer"... and I got over it.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Last Edit: 1 year ago by dr bakes.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds