• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

Re: Grateful Dead Meet Up At The Movies 2013:

#276094 1 year ago
brokenarrow wrote:
Amazing dark star .. wow how it flowed into el paso was a perfect transition..... they all seemed to be on a different planet in that dark star. Sing me back home was beautiful.....this will defiently be a DVD /CD buy for me...I hope everyone had fun like me.....that was some trippy shit during dark star....and Phil was as amazing as Jerry was on that to.....a beautiful night at the movies

man if i ever get the chance to meet Pole Dancin' Buddy Behind Jerry During Dark Star i'm gonna give him a Big Hug and buy him a Sandwich & Cold Beer
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#276096 1 year ago
skidoo wrote:
brokenarrow wrote:
Amazing dark star .. wow how it flowed into el paso was a perfect transition..... they all seemed to be on a different planet in that dark star. Sing me back home was beautiful.....this will defiently be a DVD /CD buy for me...I hope everyone had fun like me.....that was some trippy shit during dark star....and Phil was as amazing as Jerry was on that to.....a beautiful night at the movies

man if i ever get the chance to meet Pole Dancin' Buddy Behind Jerry During Dark Star i'm gonna give him a Big Hug and buy him a Sandwich & Cold Beer

or a Sasparella if'n he does drink the Alcohol. Gluten-free Beer if he requires that.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#276139 1 year ago
Listening to Dark Star is one thing ...but to watch them play it was off the hook.....
GOOD LOVE
Last Edit: 1 year ago by brokenarrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#276143 1 year ago
SunshineSue wrote:
much better than the download that's been circulating.
Really, the one I have is pretty damn nice. Do you know if the one you've seen is a BHP production and the new, updated version? Nevermind if you've been watching it on YouTube. The quality is always lesser on there than what we share elsewhere. Until used and promotional copies of the blu-ray start popping up, I'll be perfectly content with not spending $55 (or even $15 in a movie theater...that's what it was here). But I am curious to know what version folks were watching prior to this official release.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#276145 1 year ago
^^^ I have an old bootleg someone traded to me that is saved on my computer. Its watchable but it is fun seeing these shows on the big screen every now and then and I cant wait for the blue ray. I enjoy the interviews too.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#276148 1 year ago
I'm STILL in another zone from that film! Woke up this morning with a big smile on my face. So much better than that old VHS copy I had 20 years ago.

The thing I kept coming back to while watching that movie was something from Dupree's Diamond News. Some of you probably remember that magazine. At one point in the 90s they devoted almost an entire issue to this show. Last night I kept remembering a line from that issue that went something like, "This is not music to be played at a party or while driving in a car. This is music that demands -- and rewards -- full concentration."

Boy, is that ever true!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#276149 1 year ago
brokenarrow wrote:
Listening to Dark Star is one thing ...but to watch them play it was off the hook.....

I was literally physically exhausted after the watching the Dark Star, it was so intense for so long. I have played guitar for a long time and don't honestly know how they could have physically kept up the energy let alone the actual muscles used to play their instruments and create music.

My forearms, hands and fingers were sore just from watching. That is some really intense music there my friends.

The movie was a great vision in to what the GD was in those days. And the whole scene.

I went to the 1982 10 year anniversary and that field looked exactly the same. And we were all just about as high.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#276151 1 year ago
Equinox wrote:
The thing I kept coming back to while watching that movie was something from Dupree's Diamond News. Some of you probably remember that magazine.
Loved that thing. I don't think I've seen that issue, and I've collected a fair number of images from threads where people are sharing memorabilia and DDN specifically. I wish they were all compiled into a book. I read every word of those things, even the advertisements I'd seen tens of times over and over again. Do you still have yours? Any chance of scanning and sharing them? I'll dig around and make a zip file of the ones I have.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#276152 1 year ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
much better than the download that's been circulating.
Really, the one I have is pretty damn nice. Do you know if the one you've seen is a BHP production and the new, updated version? Nevermind if you've been watching it on YouTube. The quality is always lesser on there than what we share elsewhere. Until used and promotional copies of the blu-ray start popping up, I'll be perfectly content with not spending $55 (or even $15 in a movie theater...that's what it was here). But I am curious to know what version folks were watching prior to this official release.

What I have is a copy of a download from some BT site that a friend gave me a few years ago. It's titled Sunshine Daydream by "Canis Major Productions" and is only 43 minutes of basically just the 1972 footage, there's none of the interviews or background material. I'm not sure what of the music is missing, it's been awhile since I've seen it and I didn't go through all of it. However, I still won't be forking out $55 for the new release, I'll wait until that can be downloaded.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#276153 1 year ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Equinox wrote:
The thing I kept coming back to while watching that movie was something from Dupree's Diamond News. Some of you probably remember that magazine.
Loved that thing. I don't think I've seen that issue, and I've collected a fair number of images from threads where people are sharing memorabilia and DDN specifically. I wish they were all compiled into a book. I read every word of those things, even the advertisements I'd seen tens of times over and over again. Do you still have yours? Any chance of scanning and sharing them? I'll dig around and make a zip file of the ones I have.

I may still have that issue in a storage space but I can't lay my hands on it immediately. I've moved a number of times since the 90s. I totally agree about DDN. Relix was a good mainstream take on the Dead phenomenon but DDN really captured the flavor of the scene. They definitely should collect that stuff in a book. At least I see that the editor-in-chief, Johnny Dwork, contributed an essay to the dvd/cd release of Sunshine Daydream.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 3.86 seconds