• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250611 1 year, 4 months ago
Entwistle did things with the bass that I'd never seen before and still haven't seen today. He's in a whole different world when it comes to bass players....unbelievable talent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
Gratefullyjohn
Junior Boarder
Let it ride, let it roll... LET IT ROLL

#250630 1 year, 4 months ago
Phil is the one of the best period, no one played a bass like that until he did. Only other men deserving to be up there with Phil are Chris squire, geddy lee, les claypool, John Entwhistle, flea, John Paul jones, geezer butler and I probably left some others out. No one grooves that bass and keeps you movin like Phil did.

I didn't mean to say John is copying note for note, I mean the basic structure of the song that is then improvised around. There are not many differences when the guy is TRYING to play like Jerry. I'm not trying to argue or nothing. I will be at 10 shows in about a week so after listenin some more I will give you another one of my "opinions" just an "opinion"
Broken heart don't feel so bad, you ain't got half of what you thought you had
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Gratefullyjohn.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#250644 1 year, 4 months ago
jk is not mimicking garcia up there, not in his playing. he is playing jerry garcia's music, but when i'm listening to furthur live or disc, it's not often what garcia sounds like. there are times where he does but i think john works very hard to play against what jerry might do in that moment. he has developed his own voice, and to be perfectly honest, i hear way more trey anastasio influence in his playing than anything else. when he played with dark star, his job was to re-create garcia. his job with furthur is to be a participating member with his own creative contributions. if jk was playing like garcia, there'd be a lot more people at these shows.

jk is a great guitar player and i hope he continues to grow.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, B-Rad
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#250646 1 year, 4 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
phil is certainly unique, as far as bass playing is concerned...his musical sensibility makes that more so than his technical prowess, imo

some other bass players i like:

jaco pastorius
chris squire
chuck mingus
wasserman
ron carter
stanley clarke
derek smalls

Oh yeah, sorry Phil, but when it comes to real rock and roll, no matter how many bass players are around, you can't beat Derek!!!

Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by SunshineSue.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#250648 1 year, 4 months ago
bxorain wrote:
Entwistle did things with the bass that I'd never seen before and still haven't seen today. He's in a whole different world when it comes to bass players....unbelievable talent

for sure...his solo on 'my generation' revolutionized the role of bass in rock music

jaco, the man, taken wayyyyyy too soon:

Gratefullyjohn
Junior Boarder
Let it ride, let it roll... LET IT ROLL

#250649 1 year, 4 months ago
I play a bass, and I only play like Phil because he is the hardest to play, I know this because I know my instrument. I can't stick with some 2 fret bass line, it's stupid. Phil is dancing up an down the fretboard creating thumps that groove. All those hard rockers do is play the same note but really fast and with a fast count. Phil is all over the place and it ALWAYS sounds good, always reinventing himself, always changing it up. No other bassist can do that. No other bassist could get people to follow them on tour. Phil is the BEST. And I am ashamed some of you are fans of the dead and furthur but fail to recognize that. If Phil wasn't the bassist in these bands they would not be as good as they are and they would not have explored the music the way it has been explored. Phil takes the music FURTHUR, whether in the band FURTHUR or in his own band of himself and his friends.
Broken heart don't feel so bad, you ain't got half of what you thought you had
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#250654 1 year, 4 months ago
The commentary from you fluffers Is just fuckin laughable.

I swear, 90% of you had your tongue out while coming down your mamas birth canal.

Fuckin Fluffers....Fafafafafafafa
stricken
Gold Boarder

#250657 1 year, 4 months ago
Now who went and moved the rock that let the scum back in.
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#250658 1 year, 4 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
bxorain wrote:

for sure...his solo on 'my generation' revolutionized the role of bass in rock music

jaco, the man, taken wayyyyyy too soon:

Jaco and Victor Wooten dont even count as bass players to me... They do something so cosmic and strange that I dont even know what to call them... JUST LIKE PHIL
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#250676 1 year, 4 months ago
This thread is ridiculous.

Arguing about music is like dancing to architecture.

It's all subjective, there's no "greatest" in music. It's like arguing over what type of food is the best - it's a matter of personal taste.

With that out of the way, I love Phil Lesh's playing. Don't we all??
These are the good old days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, direwolflove222
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds