• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder
Posts:1123

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250559 1 year, 4 months ago
I don't care what band he used to play in. Listen to a song with Jerry and then listen to the same song with JK and you will quickly understand that they don't have the same improv style of jamming. The only real simularities are that they both play GD songs and that they do huge improv jams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
kevin
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3287

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250563 1 year, 4 months ago
philisgod wrote:
Yes...and Phil is better than all of them!!!

And don't everyone get their panties in a bunch....I called the guy a fucktard. Way less offensive as calling someone a fucking fagot, or saying they like to fuck little boys...give me a break. But point taken all the same.

I didn't bash bob one time in this thread....saying I believe his playing is a snoozfest is far from bashing the guy.

And Kevin....my attitude is not in question. I don't come here for validation, I come here because I get board at work and waste a bit of time. I have zero obsession with Bob Weir, but do get a kick at how defensive folks get if you criticize in any way, shape or form. So please, get the fuck off that high horse of yours. I'm beginning to question your attitude and obsession with me.

So with this....I leave this thread. I like my PhilZone so much better. At least most folks there are real, and not some contrives persona's.

You all can have your Furthur....I'll take my PL&F any day of the week.

Now go sprinkle some ass glitter and fart rainbows.

Fuckin Fluffers. Lol


PIG, my point was your abrasive attitude is goddamn annoying. I converse the same on the internet as I would if I was standing next to you, don't hide behind the "i'm bored at work, that's why I'm a dick" facade.
-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder
Posts:315

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250584 1 year, 4 months ago
phil is certainly unique, as far as bass playing is concerned...his musical sensibility makes that more so than his technical prowess, imo

some other bass players i like:

jaco pastorius
chris squire
chuck mingus
wasserman
ron carter
stanley clarke
derek smalls

direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Posts:469
Its an obsession but its pleasing

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250588 1 year, 4 months ago
^^^ JACO was sick dude!!!
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250597 1 year, 4 months ago
^^goin' to see stanley clarke late show tonight at yoshi's.

and for the record, these guys aren't sitting around reading sheet music to learn to jam. they've already got a deep knowledge in music theory. there is no note for note guide with improvisation. that's not to say there is not sheet music written up for some of this songs, as there is, but not for the segments between the songs. sorry, there isn't. that is where the magic happens. john is not sitting over a piece of paper reading on the fly how to go from estimated prophet to eyes of the world. he knows what key the transition is in, he knows the format, and can play in scale wherever. same goes for phil or chimenti. there is no sheet music telling them how to jam. that's all in your head. you have know your instrument and your theory. but really, when you're playing music like that, the absolute most important thing you should be doing is listening to everybody else.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2193
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250602 1 year, 4 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
phil is certainly unique, as far as bass playing is concerned...his musical sensibility makes that more so than his technical prowess, imo

some other bass players i like:

jaco pastorius
chris squire
chuck mingus
wasserman
ron carter
stanley clarke
derek smalls



You forgot one of the best - John Entwistle.
And he died like a true rock star - in his Las Vegas Hotel room with hookers and blow, the night before their tour opener.

But damn did he know how to play the bass -

Takin' it in stride!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, kevin
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250603 1 year, 4 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
I don't care what band he used to play in. Listen to a song with Jerry and then listen to the same song with JK and you will quickly understand that they don't have the same improv style of jamming. The only real simularities are that they both play GD songs and that they do huge improv jams.


Far be it from me to argue with someone whose avatar is of them telemarking (a compliment).

Having listened to GD music for over 30 years, the first time I ever heard JK play I heard the similarities between his playing and Jerry's. I'm not a guitar player, but my ears hear what they hear. That's not to say JK is copying Jerry, or that their improvisational styles aren't different.

Just one example here, which is Estimated. I'd bet JK uses the safe effect Jerry used during the break. Sure sounds very similar to me.

When the New Bohemians came out with the song What I Am (or whatever it's called) people said the guitarist sounded awfully like Jerry, which I concurred. I'm saying JK has borrowed from the Jerry bag of tricks, not copied lick for lick. How anyone would argue with that I don't know. Then again, we all hear with different ears.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250605 1 year, 4 months ago
Strider1 wrote:
spring mountain high wrote:
phil is certainly unique, as far as bass playing is concerned...his musical sensibility makes that more so than his technical prowess, imo

some other bass players i like:

jaco pastorius
chris squire
chuck mingus
wasserman
ron carter
stanley clarke
derek smalls



You forgot one of the best - John Entwistle.
And he died like a true rock star - in his Las Vegas Hotel room with hookers and blow, the night before their tour opener.

But damn did he know how to play the bass -




Absolutely. All you have to do is listen to Quadrophenia to know he was one of the best. He was also quite the accomplished horn player, and songwriter. The Who would not have been the same without him.

It's no wonder one of his nicknames was Thunderfingers.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by AcidTestGraduate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, Strider1
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder
Posts:315

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250606 1 year, 4 months ago
envelope filter...one of garcia's trademarks

lewis: enjoy clarke...it's going to be a great show...i saw him at the academy of music in philly with billy cobham, larry carlton and najee...blew me away

eta: agree on entwhistle, but left him off my list because he had been previously mentioned...the ox
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by spring mountain high.
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2193
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250609 1 year, 4 months ago
wlewis wrote:
^^goin' to see stanley clarke late show tonight at yoshi's.



Enjoy the show!

I caught him in 2011 with Return to Forever IV - Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Jean-Luc Ponty, and Frank Gamble! What a lineup. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Forever

And if that wasn't enough, Zappa plays Zappa opened the show!
Takin' it in stride!
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds