• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

Re: I LOVE PHIL LESH

#250309 1 year, 5 months ago
What a bunch of nonsense!! They are an improvisational band. Get it, they play off of each other. To say that one person leads the Grateful Dead or Furthur shows your ignorance about improvisational music and about the dead. Phil is no more responsible for the greatness of Furthur or GD than any other member. Sorry but that is how improvisational bands work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender, bxorain
kfender
Gold Boarder

#250336 1 year, 5 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
What a bunch of nonsense!! They are an improvisational band. Get it, they play off of each other. To say that one person leads the Grateful Dead or Furthur shows your ignorance about improvisational music and about the dead. Phil is no more responsible for the greatness of Furthur or GD than any other member. Sorry but that is how improvisational bands work.
B-Rad is 100% correct.I'm sorry Johnny but having never seen Jerry leaves you unqualified to speak about matters that occurred when he was with us.Phil most assuredly plays his own style,playing like it is a lead instrument.His background in classical music in no way means that he was responsible for the improvisational style in which the GD played.Also the influence of LSD can't be ignored.I'm glad that you love Phil but you are giving him too much credit.He is one of the greatest bass players of all time but not the driving force you claim.I'm not saying it's fair or even close to accurate but Jerry was always portrayed in the media and accepted by the unknowing public as the leader of the band.It was a title that Jerry never wanted or accepted but that's the way it was.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#250339 1 year, 5 months ago
And the fact that Phil's many bands in between GD and Furthur had less sucess, and I think most agree weren't as good as, those two bookends shows that Bobby also plays as much a part in the improvisational mix as Phil. Spend a few hours focused on Bobby's improv and what he does to the music and you will see that he too has a very, very unique style of playing that helps with the "take off".
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#250340 1 year, 5 months ago
As philisgod would say "Oh for fuck's sake".

I suppose the rhythm devils and the keyboardists didn't play a part in improvisation..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#250341 1 year, 5 months ago
philisgod wrote:
Bob....well, I wont say anuthing negative (its my new thing. )...

I knew it!! I knew we had enough glitter farts around here to get through to even the hardest of hearts!!

And as for Phil, he is a genius! I have to admit, over the years it's been the Phil shows that I would make the effort to see, and not always the Bob shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philisgod
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#250345 1 year, 5 months ago
I never said any other band wasn't legit....that was that Johnny dude.

And this you never saw Jerry so you're not qualified bullshit is beyond fucking stupid!! And jftr....I had seen Jerry over 100 times so does that make me more "Qualified" to critique the music? Under that logic, Iwhat I say should be taken VERY seriously....and I think Bob's playing is a snooze fest these days. But of course it doesnt qualify me more....its my opinion.

I can hinestly say though, that PL&F's, under any formation has brought the music to new levels under which Ratdog or Furthur just never achieved on a "Consistant" basis. Again....my opinion.

But if you really believe that Phil is NOT a driving force behind furthur, or was with the GD, then you are sadly misled.

And dont steal my hash line Denver man....for Fuck sake already.
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#250351 1 year, 5 months ago
Ans SSS....my heart is not hard at all.

I'm just an ass on the webs.

But I really didn't like when I called bob a drunk. Saying I dont like is playing is one thing, attacking the man is another.

So......

But I still dont like his playing anymore.

Flame on....
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#250357 1 year, 5 months ago
B-Rad wrote:

Thank you! It's interesting how we sometimes get caught up in pinpointing which band member was the most important...they're all collectively responsible for the beauty they made on stage. Personally, I've always been a huge Bobby fan and think he has one of the most underrated voices in rock and roll history...yet, I know he collectively belongs to something much bigger than just him, just a piece of the puzzle...same as Phil. They're all fabulous!
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#250362 1 year, 5 months ago
[quote="philisgod" post=250345]

I can hinestly say though, that PL&F's, under any formation has brought the music to new levels under which Ratdog or Furthur just never achieved on a "Consistant" basis. Again....my opinion.

quote]

Although ticket sales disagree with you and your opinion. IMO PL&F has never done it. I have listened to lots of the TXR shows and not a single one approaches the Sweetwater Furthur shows for example. The coming Capital theater shows will also recieve greater reviews than the PL&F's run there did. So you PIG are in a very minority.
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#250383 1 year, 5 months ago
>>>IMO PL&F has never done it.<<<

Ummm....I wiould think YOU are in the minority on that one. And I said consistantly about Furthur....not never. Your statement is just plain ol' silly jack.

And that is all I have to say about that.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by philisgod.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds