• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250656 1 year, 4 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
I saw several full tours but I'd have to go back and count. 83 was my best year, I saw:

First 6 west coast shows (Tempe -> SF)
Next 13 East Coast shows (Hampton -> Phila)
skipped 3 west shows (Greeks)
Next 8 east coast shows (Saratoga -> Chicago)
skipped 4 west coast (Ventura and Frost)
Net 13 east coast shows (Portland -> Austin)
skipped 2 west coast (Grass Valley and Watsonville)
Next 11 east coast shows (Richmond -> Syracuse)
skipped 2 west coast shows (Marin)
Next 4 west coast shows (SF, New Years)

So I saw 19 in a row and two 13 show tours, 55 of 66 for the year, if I counted correctly. I lived on the east coast, it got to expensive to fly to the west coast for only a couple of shows, otherwise I would have gone to everything.

This was quite a feat. Having been to many of those shows I'd say you were quite fortunate. I think '82 was a better year, but '83 had some pretty darn good ones, plus some memorable break outs (Help>Slip> Franklins-Tempe and St. Stephen MSG)

83 was very erratic and Jerry visibly deteriorated quite a bit that year (he was so bloated at the end of the year New Years shows he was almost round). I think its a very underrated year, however. There were some very trippy, jammed out shows in there.

My 'peak' years were from 79-90 and every year had it's highlights. 82 had some really fun shows like Hartford with Phil's earthquake space and the unusual Scarlet-Fire at the Scope, but I would go with 83 over 82.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250672 1 year, 4 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
I saw several full tours but I'd have to go back and count. 83 was my best year, I saw:

First 6 west coast shows (Tempe -> SF)
Next 13 East Coast shows (Hampton -> Phila)
skipped 3 west shows (Greeks)
Next 8 east coast shows (Saratoga -> Chicago)
skipped 4 west coast (Ventura and Frost)
Net 13 east coast shows (Portland -> Austin)
skipped 2 west coast (Grass Valley and Watsonville)
Next 11 east coast shows (Richmond -> Syracuse)
skipped 2 west coast shows (Marin)
Next 4 west coast shows (SF, New Years)

So I saw 19 in a row and two 13 show tours, 55 of 66 for the year, if I counted correctly. I lived on the east coast, it got to expensive to fly to the west coast for only a couple of shows, otherwise I would have gone to everything.

This was quite a feat. Having been to many of those shows I'd say you were quite fortunate. I think '82 was a better year, but '83 had some pretty darn good ones, plus some memorable break outs (Help>Slip> Franklins-Tempe and St. Stephen MSG)

83 was very erratic and Jerry visibly deteriorated quite a bit that year (he was so bloated at the end of the year New Years shows he was almost round). I think its a very underrated year, however. There were some very trippy, jammed out shows in there.

My 'peak' years were from 79-90 and every year had it's highlights. 82 had some really fun shows like Hartford with Phil's earthquake space and the unusual Scarlet-Fire at the Scope, but I would go with 83 over 82.

This is of course all very subjective, but I don't think any tour in '83 had four shows as memorable as my four favorites from summer '82...Austin, KC, 1st night Alpine and Iowa City.

One might counter this by saying spring '83 had Hampton, both nights Brendon Byrne and Burlington or either night Spectrum.
Summer had Park West (not so much for the show but the ambience), 1st night RR and both Santa Fe, and the fall tour was full of goodies.

Again, it's all subjective.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by AcidTestGraduate.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250674 1 year, 4 months ago
wlewis wrote:
teafortexas--you ain't shittin. a year on tour is a few regular years. we used to say the same thing about being a zeta brother. one zeta year was like 5 normal years. LOL

tim---george made it to 14 of those 15 warfields. i think he was shut out the final night or the one preceding.

You were Zeta Chi?
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#250675 1 year, 4 months ago
Yes, Summer tour 82, not that I actually saw any of it live, but on recordings, it's great stuff. Red Rocks, Austin, Iowa.... I definitely prefer 1982 shows over 1983. Not dissing 83, the year had some great shows, but just prefer 1982 more.

I will second the comments about the Warfield/ Saenger/ Radio City 80 run. Wow. I feel privileged to have seen just one of those shows live (and one on closed circuit - the Halloween show they broadcast at various theaters)
These are the good old days!!
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#250707 1 year, 4 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

This is of course all very subjective, but I don't think any tour in '83 had four shows as memorable as my four favorites from summer '82...Austin, KC, 1st night Alpine and Iowa City.

One might counter this by saying spring '83 had Hampton, both nights Brendon Byrne and Burlington or either night Spectrum.
Summer had Park West (not so much for the show but the ambience), 1st night RR and both Santa Fe, and the fall tour was full of goodies.

It is indeed very subjective. It's also hard if you haven't seen every show yourself. 83 may stand out because I saw such a high percentage of the shows (I saw a lot in 82 also but not nearly the same percentage of shows). I really liked Portland, Seattle and the two Sante Fe's in summer 83. But I didn't see 82 Austin, KC, 1st night Alpine and Iowa City so it's hard for me to compare.
83 had this trippy quality I loved, probably because Jerry was so drugged out.

Billy, I realize you weren't denigrating 83, just offering an opinion, but listening to tapes is a very different form of judging. There were shows I thought amazing that weren't as impressive when I went back and listened. And vice versa. My comments were specific to opinions of show as I was there.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by rippleish20.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250710 1 year, 4 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

It is indeed very subjective. It's also hard if you haven't seen every show yourself. 83 may stand out because I saw such a high percentage of the shows (I saw a lot in 82 also but not nearly the same percentage of shows). I really liked Portland, Seattle and the two Sante Fe's in summer 83. But I didn't see 82 Austin, KC, 1st night Alpine and Iowa City so it's hard for me to compare.

Billy, I realize you weren't denigrating 83, just offering an opinion, but listening to tapes is a very different form of judging. There were shows I thought amazing that weren't as impressive when I went back and listened. And vice versa. My comments were specific to opinions of show as I was there.

You're so right! I think it's safe to say that being there vs. listening to the show is so different. However, I've had people send
me boots of shows I was at that they weren't and rave about how good they were as a testament to how good the shows were
drove home the idea how good the show actually was.

A great example of this was the last show Furthur played (last night at Broomfield) Anyone who was there talks about wetting their pants how much it meant to them, and any of us who've heard it know it's the bench mark by which we can measure this band.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#250712 1 year, 4 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
wlewis wrote:
teafortexas--you ain't shittin. a year on tour is a few regular years. we used to say the same thing about being a zeta brother. one zeta year was like 5 normal years. LOL

tim---george made it to 14 of those 15 warfields. i think he was shut out the final night or the one preceding.

You were Zeta Chi?

zeta chi zeta, a local fraternity at SUNY oswego
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#250717 1 year, 4 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:

You're so right! I think it's safe to say that being there vs. listening to the show is so different. However, I've had people send
me boots of shows I was at that they weren't and rave about how good they were as a testament to how good the shows were
drove home the idea how good the show actually was.

A great example of this was the last show Furthur played (last night at Broomfield) Anyone who was there talks about wetting their pants how much it meant to them, and any of us who've heard it know it's the bench mark by which we can measure this band.

Tape wise, I would argue even the tape itself can make a difference. Portland, ME 79. I thought the show was amazing. I have two different tapes, clearly recorded from different locations. One, which I would assume was up recorded up front such that it got the amps versus the PA, confirms what my assessment. Tape two, also good but more PA'ish, sounds lackluster. Like they were totally different shows. You don't get the same sense of energy from the two versions.

Broomfield is probably a good example. I would not be as convinced as you from the tapes themselves. I was not there. I listened to the TaperRob stream, which was excellent. I thought the first set was awesome, by far the best of the three, as good as most second sets. Lost Sailor-Saint was decent but lower in energy. Then it it picked up again. DarkStar was a little too spacey at points but had all these interesting jams and they were clearly into it, very similar to Phila from summer. The Unbroken was excellent and the days between with Jason was amazing. And yet, when I listen to the sound board, it's all decent but not as nearly inspiring as when I listened to the stream; the UC and DB still stand out but I also notice the flaws more - like the Dark Star slows to a crawl at points where it's not that interesting. So even listening to the live stream (in the 'moment') was totally different than going back and listening to the recording. I don't doubt it was amazing if you were there, I thought that came through from afar at the time.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by rippleish20.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#250750 1 year, 4 months ago
Summer tour 89..caught all but the KC show........... what a summer
Summer 85 ...MIssed the first 2 nights in Alpine did the rest
Summer 88 - All but Rochester
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#250768 1 year, 4 months ago
^just curious. what happened with rochacha summer 88?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds