• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250521 1 year, 5 months ago
how's your pops doing?

i thought i saw him at shoreline. when i saw him i thought hm i recognize him and maybe like 20 minutes later it clicked in my head and by that time i was long gone from the area.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Estimated Prophet
Junior Boarder

#250523 1 year, 5 months ago
It was probably him. If he was going to do anything in the afterlife it would be follow the Dead. He passed away July 13th of last year. So we were really lucky to get the run we did. Thanks so much for being a part of it. I will never forget him walking away from the meet up at the Flag and him proudly saying "he had no idea he was minor celebrity.' I hold that trip so dear.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#250524 1 year, 5 months ago
i'm sorry to hear that man, he was a very nice man and you guys obviously shared some wonderful memories together. you'll always have those and the music. pleasure to meet both of you. dug up this pic, it's a nice one, take care.

564307_383939808295345_407627285_n1.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Estimated Prophet , RowTimmy
Estimated Prophet
Junior Boarder

#250526 1 year, 5 months ago
He loved that picture. Had it framed by his computer. I had no idea he even framed it, it was really crazy to find when we were cleaning out his place. Put a huge smile on my face.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#250594 1 year, 5 months ago
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#250598 1 year, 5 months ago
hard to remember the specifics but last summer we did A lot !!!! bethel ,atlantic city , vibes Mtn jam (I know further did not play but we went ahaaha) RR was awesome the year before that we did the 3 radio city shows , PA, MA, Bethel did they sd othe tmes union that fall as well ??HMMMM a bit gfoggy but I know we were busy busy busy !!! Love to all happy weekend !!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#250608 1 year, 5 months ago
After digesting my prolific touring in 89-91, I determined that 'tour years' is akin to what dog/cat years might be. Therefore, I just figured out that I am 57 years old despite my birth certificate telling me I'm 41. Sure, touring my have shortened my lifespan but at least I was enjoying the ride Wouldn't trade those highs and lows for anything!

It's funny, I used to be able to sleep for an hour on cement and be good to go the next day. Now I need at least 6 hours to function and think that Motel 6 is roughing it. How things do change....

Longest run in the last 10 years > 5 shows ... and boy was I gassed!
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250626 1 year, 5 months ago
RowTimmy wrote:
In 1980 I did 15 shows at the Warfield, then two in Luisiana, then 8 at radio city for 25 in a row. I also might have done a few shows prior to that run as well as seeing Weir 3 or 4 days later in NYC. That was my longest run without missing a show I think. Ive done many a spring east coast tour in the early 80's, 5 or 6 years in a row.

How you pulled off the scenario you described in 1980 is mind boggling, and quite impressive considering the demand for those shows.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250628 1 year, 5 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
I saw several full tours but I'd have to go back and count. 83 was my best year, I saw:

First 6 west coast shows (Tempe -> SF)
Next 13 East Coast shows (Hampton -> Phila)
skipped 3 west shows (Greeks)
Next 8 east coast shows (Saratoga -> Chicago)
skipped 4 west coast (Ventura and Frost)
Net 13 east coast shows (Portland -> Austin)
skipped 2 west coast (Grass Valley and Watsonville)
Next 11 east coast shows (Richmond -> Syracuse)
skipped 2 west coast shows (Marin)
Next 4 west coast shows (SF, New Years)

So I saw 19 in a row and two 13 show tours, 55 of 66 for the year, if I counted correctly. I lived on the east coast, it got to expensive to fly to the west coast for only a couple of shows, otherwise I would have gone to everything.

This was quite a feat. Having been to many of those shows I'd say you were quite fortunate. I think '82 was a better year, but '83 had some pretty darn good ones, plus some memorable break outs (Help>Slip> Franklins-Tempe and St. Stephen MSG)
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#250645 1 year, 5 months ago
teafortexas--you ain't shittin. a year on tour is a few regular years. we used to say the same thing about being a zeta brother. one zeta year was like 5 normal years. LOL

tim---george made it to 14 of those 15 warfields. i think he was shut out the final night or the one preceding.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds