• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: the longest...tour vets please

#250245 1 year ago
I would love to hit all of the fall tour. I could probably pull off 2 weeks off work, but that would be it. I think you need more than 2 weeks though ... damn work ... ugghh
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#250247 1 year ago
WA to santa barbara is ridiculous
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250251 1 year ago
What a great thread this is. So fun to read everyones stories.
Some of what I read is a bit humbling, as some of you really made the effort to see a bunch of shows consecutively. It takes a lot of work for sure. When you're out on the road basically your whole day is getting from one town to the next and arranging for all the basic necessities of life, as well as getting into the show.

From my experience there were benefits to seeing a bunch of shows consecutively, depending on where/when those were. My best string of shows would have been summer '84, which would be the whole tour sans Saratoga and Merriweather. Now I missed some good shows, but by missing those I was able to catch more fall shows, and just happened to see my favorite show ever that way.

Instead of trying to do whole tours I'd try and stretch out the shows over the year, and go somewhere I'd not been prior to make the most of it. Hey, I had a job and only so many days off. Silly me, looking back because I could have been an entrepeneur out there. Grilled cheese.....whod've thunk it?

I did manage to see the Dead on both coasts from 83'-'86, whilst based in the middle of the country. Not bad if I do say so.

Which make me feel a little bad for the north east dead heads, as most of your experience was short trips here and there. It was the 12 hour+ drives getting to shows that added so much to the whole experience, the anticipation and all that. Having taken the subway to a number of shows, or walking from front door to venue, I realize it's just not the same.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250252 1 year ago
Denver Man wrote:
I would love to hit all of the fall tour. I could probably pull off 2 weeks off work, but that would be it. I think you need more than 2 weeks though ... damn work ... ugghh

don't curse that which provides you the opportunities you have, or try not to!
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#250363 1 year ago
Denver Man wrote:
I never went on a full tour. It was always a mad dash from colorado to shoreline or vegas or oakland or tempe etc for a run and then a mad dash back. I never fully understood how people could do it. Back then $$ was a huge factor. Now time and coordination are the limiting factors. You need a combo of all that stuff to make it happen and I have never had it all at once. I have always been jealous of people who had it all (and still am). Living in CO doesn't help, it's not like living in the NE, it takes a good full day of driving just to get out of CO let alone getting to California or oregon. In that amount of miles you could hit a million shows in the NE (or the Bay). Still wishing to do a full tour but if their route is anything like last fall there's no way I would hit all of them. For example, portland oregon to shoreline in one night?? Hell no.

Where you are based out of makes a big difference. For those who have
travelled via the highways and bi-ways in the west can attest, shows were
generally further apart.

If you had forgone your job or education would you be better off today
and in the position you are today to travel far and wide? Sometimes
delayed gratification is a good thing.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#250440 1 year ago
I've often thought tour was specifically scheduled to make it virtually impossible to catch every single show, particularly the last two years. I've noticed it seems to be designed for ease of attending every other show. I wonder how they get the equipment to the next gig in time. I found that slicing off a show here and there was helpful for me as I have always had a low budget to work with and I thought killing myself to get somewhere was not going to add to the fun quotient because of exhaustion. And logistically some sequences of shows were just impossible for me. Plus, a lot of the time we would hitchhike to the shows, and I never felt like going to Texas or Nevada shows that way, so that helped trim tour down for me.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Daisy Mae.
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#250451 1 year ago
wlewis wrote:

awful on a logistic level. i never went up to edgefield or WA. straight from red rocks to the bay area to finish out the tour.

2 years before that it was redmond WA>santa barbara with only a day. 18 hours was the quick route.

Last fall , the Seattle show was the day after Red Rocks. I drove nonstop and made it just on time. Getting out of the car and going into that show was the best feeling in the world! I think it was 21 hours or something... Completley worth it!!! I hope to do it again!
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#250457 1 year ago
direwolflove222 wrote:
wlewis wrote:

awful on a logistic level. i never went up to edgefield or WA. straight from red rocks to the bay area to finish out the tour.

2 years before that it was redmond WA>santa barbara with only a day. 18 hours was the quick route.

Last fall , the Seattle show was the day after Red Rocks. I drove nonstop and made it just on time. Getting out of the car and going into that show was the best feeling in the world! I think it was 21 hours or something... Completley worth it!!! I hope to do it again!

Seattle was 2 days after red rocks. Sun - Tue

Still a long ways in a short time though!!
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Denver Man.
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#250467 1 year ago
^^^ Just realized that haha. Seemed like just one day since I was the only one driving hehe
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
Estimated Prophet
Junior Boarder

#250519 1 year ago
My longest was just 6 shows:

3 Cal Expo
3 Shoreline in 91

I had just graduated High School and the tour was a gift from Dad. We had so much fun, I will never forget those times spent with him. Everyone is right it's the time on the road and the excitement building up to getting to the show that makes it so much fun.

One cool component now is that you can buy the show the night of, we had a really good time listening to Wang on the way to Wallingford when we did our little East Coast run.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds