• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
nastero
Junior Boarder

Re: Deadheads in the workplace

#24994 3 years, 4 months ago
gratefulade wrote:
I am a victim advocate for sexual assault and domestic violence. No correlation with work and being a deadhead, although I get a lot of the "didn't you already see that band" or "you're going out of town AGAIN?".

To add to this thread, I'm curious if everyone 'comes out' as a deadhead right away or not at work. I usually don't at first, for the obvious reasons. I alllow them to get to know me and see the good work I do, then tell them.

Before anyone jumps on that too much.... I am by no means ashamed of being a deadhead or worried what others will think of me..... I am a much-advertised head, just not at work

Nope, not going to jump on that. Given that most people associate being a Deadhead with being a drugged out space case I think that it's a wise approach. At my first job out of college I remember playing some acoustic dead on my speakers at work and a co-worker came over and asked who I was listening to. The reaction was hilarious as the person looked at my disbelieving and said "No way, they're, like, a heavy-metal band or something aren't they? This is good stuff ...."
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#24996 3 years, 4 months ago
^ ^ your right about the association thing nd it can lead to problems so i take the get to know me first route as well.otherwise its oh your a dead head go see HR for a drug test
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: nastero
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#25002 3 years, 4 months ago
Work in a large machine shop , made a great friend who's a head there.
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#25032 3 years, 4 months ago
huge intersection me being a Jackass who moonlights/pays the bills as a SlopJockey
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#25042 3 years, 4 months ago
carpentry

I work for a sub contractor and it's been just me and him for a while. If we have houses to frame he will hire another guy or 2 but they never seem to last. It's been slow as far as that goes but we have plenty of remodeling work to do and if any houses come up to frame that's priority.

My boss knows I'm a head and over the last year or so I really started getting in the music and Furthur in particular a lot more. I'll never forget his reaction when I told him how I need time off for the spring tour and what shows I'm doing, he said "Your going to 9 shows of the same band!??" but he understands now how much I love them now and I could take off as much time as I can afford to see them. Really though the only other option would be loosing my job because I don't let that limit me from seeing shows I could of made - matter of fact I keep thinking bigger, I plan on making it across country by next summer or fall.....

He's like 36 I think, and he never saw the Grateful Dead or even any incarnation of them. I keep telling him to go but he hasn't yet, though he did check out triday the 13th and thought it was real good. He likes them though - sometimes he'll play them on the job but I'm sure a lot of that is cause he knows I'm into them so much.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by MushroomMan.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#25044 3 years, 4 months ago
I've had tons of jobs, ( Warehouse ,Plastics Factory , Ductile Iron Pipe Foundry, Telemarketer, Juggie on a Siesmic Crew etc. etc. ) they have all sucked and some of them have contributed to the general decline in my health.
These days I'm just sitting around on Doctors Orders waiting for the outcome of my Social Security and Disability Claims.
None of the Jobs I've had were ever "Head Friendly"
Having a Job that I can live with and make enough to get by comfortably is a dream unfulfilled
But, who knows what might come next ?
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by the highway terror.
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#25093 3 years, 4 months ago
i work at the front desk of a hotel so i don't get to listen to music while i work. no one else here is into the dead or anything from that era..it does come in handy when i see someone walks in wearing a tye dye or other oblivious dead head garb. my boss is really cool though she lets me take time off to go to shows. We did have some one here part time for a summer who was really big into phish but she moved to Colorado. But people do like joking about at all the stickers on my car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor, DeadHead420
tomass
Junior Boarder
High There?

#25098 3 years, 4 months ago
I'm a barber with a Giant Picture or Dear Jerry in his top hat by my chair. Stealie here Stealie there even Colorful dancing skeletons on my barber smock. Its funny when the children ask questions because I always have a answer.
When you need a haircut bad..........
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#25104 3 years, 4 months ago
Spent the last year working at a dispensary where I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of cool heads and artists and got to bump the Dead all day but just recently started working an overnight job at a an upper class hotel so not so many good heads around but I still knock out a couple hours of archive each night!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#25110 3 years, 4 months ago
i am a high school social studies teacher--substituting for now, going back for a masters degree in special education---many teachers are heads, i've come across more than i would have thought...must be those summers off for tour

also run a human resource department currently at a small business--distribution outlet---interview/hire/fire/train etc---no one there even knows who the grateful dead are---thought they were a metal band
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds