• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

indian festivals

#24889 2 years, 11 months ago
any body go to theses native american festivals or pow wows?.i ve been to a few they can be a nice way to spend the day the costumes are very elaborate and the dances are pretty cool.they do some drumming and got good vendors with lots of silver and turqoise .im goin to a disscussion on the lenape in jUne not a pow wow but should still be interesting.so who else is interested in this stuff?
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

Re: indian festivals

#24915 2 years, 11 months ago
the Delaware Nation's main lodgehouse was in Coshocton where I lived most of my life.
the Delaware have an annual Tribal Gathering there.
They have Speakers , Flint Knapping Demonstrations and other activities and it's always an interesting weekend
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#24923 2 years, 11 months ago
when?
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#24925 2 years, 11 months ago
I used to attend Pow Wows in CT and need to check into the CA gatherings. It's a powerful scene, lots of dancing, amazing tribal costumes and drums. Travelling the southwest through reservations a few times is an eye opener and Ive been lucky enough to cross paths with and interact with a few different tribes and learned a ton from them. I love to find handmade Native jewelry, have a Kokopelli key chain purchased at a Hopi reservation a few years ago.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by sjfgreenman.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#24929 2 years, 11 months ago
I was a hospice nurse who served the Native American tribes in NM.

The largest PowWow is held in Albuquerque every year in the summer.

Norm (terrapin trailways fame) would produce their posters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjfgreenman, LBDowling
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Indian festivals

#24931 2 years, 11 months ago
when i was younger i was infatuated with the plains Indians culture the Sioux in particular i read a great book called Hanta Yo i highly recommend it
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#24933 2 years, 11 months ago
Right on for helping them..I'm happy to see the health issues of Native Americans come to light, SEVA being a local organization that is helping with the diabetes situation. I dated a lady who belongs to a SF organization that is researching TB in southwestern tribes, too, I guess it's been a threat there.

I lived in CT near a town that had a one man reservation...he was the sole one left and had a piece of land and a huge teepee. I thought that was pretty cool but local yahoos would drive by and throw beer bottles at his home on Sat. nights for kicks. Damn savages.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by sjfgreenman.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#24935 2 years, 11 months ago
Go SEVA!!!
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#24938 2 years, 11 months ago
A few years back, I went to Indian market in Santa Fe... It's held in August, tribes come from all over. A huge celebration that includes art, jewelry and pottery vendors, pow wows on street corners, music, poetry & dance festival, etc. A beautiful opportunity also to visit the amazing Acoma Pueblo, (an active pueblo located on top of a Mesa), Bandalier National Monument, (ancient Anasazi cliff dwellings), etc. One of the best trips of my life!
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#24968 2 years, 11 months ago
I've attended a few here in my town in Virginia. The monacan indians. Defiently cool
GOOD LOVE
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds