• Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

what the fuck are you reading?

#247548 1 year, 7 months ago
the great shark hunt

gonzo papers vol 1

strange tales from a strange time

this is about 4 books into one, compilation of hunter s thompson pieces.

some early work, an entire section on his covering the presidential election of '72. his gravitation toward nixon and his thoughts on him are so fucking funny. a nice section on his travels out west, and in south america. and tons of random stuff! it's great.

if you are a thompson fan i would suggest it.

recently read "the dead" by hank harrison. anybody else read that one? thanks george for that book. lost my copy of jerrys oral biography in denver.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

Re: what the fuck are you reading?

#247565 1 year, 7 months ago
JOB: A comedy of Justice - Robert A Heinlein
Death of a Rebel - A Biography of Phil Ochs - Marc Eliot
The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

As for Hank Harrisons books about the Dead. He wrote a book called The Dead Book a long time ago. That was a fun read. Back in the 60's, Hank was friends with Phil. Later on he put out a book called The Dead (copyrighted 1980). Hank brings a unique view about our favorite subject. His writing skills leave room for improvement. He is not afraid to voice controversial opinions about a lot of different things. Some of the things he says have merit while other opinions are totally off the wall. When discussing the Grateful Dead, everyone comes to this differently. Because of this, everyone brings some validity, being that this is what they experiened. My impression of Hanks second book is that it attempts to be a gossip filled book about the the band. No matter what we all say, we like gossip or inside scoops about things that interest us. I take this book with a grain or more of salt. Rock Scully also wrote a tell all book. Because of some of the roles that Rock played, many people have issues with him. If you are looking for gossip liturature from someone who was around for a while, Rock's book is in that vein.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#247566 1 year, 7 months ago
dave i have to agree with a lot of what you're saying.

the book i read is actually two books, volumes 2 and 3, to "the dead" this was published in 1980 by celestial arts.

what i liked about it: the massive overview of the latter end of the beat generation and the rise of the hippie counterculture in the 60's. the dead are maybe the focus of the book but a lot of time is spent talking about bands, city movements, national movements, etc.

what i didn't like: as you said, kind of gossipy at times. also, it seems like he was shunned or maybe cast aside at some point, or maybe he willingly distanced himself, but he wasn't very close with the grateful dead after a certain point, and makes a comment like "i stopped going to shows because i wasn't invited". he was in egypt. that's the other cool thing, he does some deep insight into the egypt trip.

i read rocks book living with the dead. it's good. another viewpoint. i take all these with a grain of salt, what i look for is consistency in certain stories
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#247578 1 year, 7 months ago
Waging Heavy Peace - Neil Young

Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die - Willie Nelson
The voices tell me what to say
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by funky420.
OZA
Senior Boarder

#247593 1 year, 7 months ago
As your attorney, I advise you to read Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo

As I'm traveling in India/Nepal, I've been reading books set in one of these countries (other than 1).. Here are the books I finished since leaving

Confederacy of Dunces (the exception) - John Kennedy Toole

(Started reading Tibetan Book of the Dead..100 pages in I realized it's not my thing

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Mustang: A Lost Tibetan Kingdom - Michel Piessel

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
I highly suggest all of these
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#247613 1 year, 7 months ago
i fear the worst might be true

hardly anybody here reads.
buffalobob
Visitor

#247615 1 year, 7 months ago
I try to read as much as possible. I finally just finished Searching for the Sound
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#247617 1 year, 7 months ago
Nothing Dead related: currently Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates (history that will make you laugh out loud) and re-reading The Hobbit.

I highly recommend anything by Sarah Vowell!
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by SunshineSue.
buffalobob
Visitor

#247618 1 year, 7 months ago
never read the hobbit.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#247623 1 year, 7 months ago
bob are you from buffalo? i grew up in amherst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanman
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds