• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

Am I the only one...part 2

#243702 1 year, 5 months ago
Does anyone else purposely take extended breaks from listening to any GD or GD related music to increase your appreciation for it? I find myself avoiding the sirius Dead channel and refrain from listening to any tunes in anticipation of that moment when I just gotta throw on one of my favorite shows. I guess I'm afraid I'll lose my appreciation or something weird but I've always done this. Especially before a good run of shows like the upcoming run at the Cap...I won't hear another Dead tune until I hear the first one they play on 4/16. Am I the only one??
Hayduke
Fresh Boarder

Re: Am I the only one...part 2

#243703 1 year, 5 months ago
Not me, I listen all day long, most days it the only thing I hear that makes any sense in this nutty world of ours.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#243704 1 year, 5 months ago
I never needed a break from the GD because I have a ravenous appetite for music completely unrelated and non-blues-based. Even in a fury of GD listening, they're only 40% of my listening habits. I work off association too much to feed on a single source for too long. I hear a tone or a note, and it makes me want to listen to ten other artists and recordings.

I can definitely relate to concern about rubbing the luster dull for music, but it was never a problem for me and the GD. It's more when it comes to certain albums that I save for special occasions and such. It isn't with the intent to cause myself to fiend for them, though. They're uniquely special, and they get treated accordingly.

I drove to GD shows a lot. I was often recruited for mini-vacations that I never had any intent on attending. Once there, people could borrow the car for whatever reason. Go sight-seeing. Go to the store. Whatever they need. My car is your car. But my single request was no GD listening in the car or while at the campsite (we almost always opted for camping). I'm sorry, but the last thing I want/need/desire is a musical diet of the same band for hours on end/days on end. No thanks. There's too much great music. There's too much equally as great music.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: karenrose
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#243709 1 year, 5 months ago
Can't take much time off with this board around.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
RowTimmy
Senior Boarder

#243724 1 year, 5 months ago
I forgot that I used to do this. Before going on tours I would try to not listen to any live shows a couple days prior to leaving. Sometimes I couldn't do it. I'd break down and put in a cassette. I never felt like I would tire of it though. After 35 years of listening I still thirst for more.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#243733 1 year, 5 months ago
I found this to be true with everything except the GD, probably because there is such a variety of stuff. I mix it up between all eras of Jerry/GD and side projects but no matter how much I listen I could never seem to get enough - there's always so many shows that 'could be listened to next'

I love Floyd, and back in High School when I first got into them I got all their albums live/studio and even some bootleg stuff but it wasn't long before I had pretty much everything, and before to long I found myself not being able to listen to it all the time. Even back when I used to love Eminem in middle school it became to much... and I was on Napster downloading every single bootleg thing I could find with him.

I know exactly what the OP is saying but I've found the opposite to be true with the music of Jerry and the GD

-BTW right now I'm on 8/16/91, going into set 2 --- pretty solid show so far with a 1st set Dark Star>Promised Land closer ....
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds