• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

West Coast love?

#24362 3 years, 3 months ago
Just curious if anyone knows the reason why most jambands, or bands that jam, tend to stay back East most of the year?
I can see that all the states are closer together so it's easier to hit more venues, i.e. more $, But the weather and the laws don't hold a flame to Cali and the coast! Maybe I'm naive or I just need someone else to say it out loud but I feel like except for summer, we're pretty much stuck to listening to archive and reading the reviews of all the sick shows 3,000 miles away. When we do get a band coming in they usually make a quick LA,SF,and if you're lucky 1 or 2 OR and WA run. Any ideas about why San Diego is off the map?
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

Re: West Coast love?

#24366 3 years, 3 months ago
I don't like to be cynical, but today ya gotta fill seats,the overhead is huge and it is a business. Furthur brings a wonderful product!!!!!!!!!!!
Canyon
Junior Boarder

#24370 3 years, 3 months ago
well there are a number of reasons but I think the biggest is that the people just dont come out, just look at Furthur Shoreline, they didn't even sell out the seats, you can still get decent 200s today. Of course there is also gas prices, longer travel distance between cities ect ect. The east side fans are more willing to shell out the cash so they get more shows...
Shoot the breeze, lose the keys
Feed the poor, stop the war
Make the signs, connect the lines
Pay your fines, save your dimes
Watch The Feds, Dig The Dead

reflectionsofmatter.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
judit
Junior Boarder

#24382 3 years, 3 months ago
People in the Northwest often wait til late in sales to buy tickets to events. That might leave uncertainty about meeting guarantees or providing operating funds.
FUCK CANCER!

Peace & Love
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#24413 3 years, 3 months ago
I do think the west coasters don't show up as much. That said, I don't think it is fair to use Shoreline's not selling out seats fair because I certainly prefer the lawn to the seats. We don't know the total tickets sold.

I think the other issue is that the west coat is spread out and very very mountainous. For example, to get into Los Angeles you have to go throguh the "grapevine" (the I-5 north of L.A. is pretty treacherous for big rigs, especially in winter) and there are very few choices to get out of it- like you have to play Vegas to make it worth while- but Vegas is 5 hours away at a minimum.

So they have few ticket sales, for cheaper than places in the east, and it's a pain to get here. That adds up to me having to go to them.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#24424 3 years, 3 months ago
i have no idea what you guys are talking about. there are GREAT SHOWS on the west coast ALL THE TIME. uhh wavys B-day, the bob and marrin thing, devil makes 3, bobs building a studio out here, and phils building a venue? wheres the love? I feel the west coast love from the boys(specially bob) xpand your horizens. there are tons of killa jamband, world music, reggae, folk, etc. fest all over.
are you under a rock my boy?
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by illuminaughty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#24822 3 years, 3 months ago
Definitely not saying we don't get anything out here (I've seen the best shows of my life out here) . Its just that it seems that a majority of a jambands time is spent back east an I was curious to why that was. As far as festies I think its safe to say we lose out on that spectrum too, especially with Las tortugas out of the picture (sad face). To be even more specific I know the boys show love up north but being that tri studios an Phil's landing are just coming to fruition I haven't considered them as venues for shows fully as of yet. An as far as shows not sell in out as much out here I agree to an extent but depends on band as always. Maybe its all the hipsters we got out here in la, basterds
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#24825 3 years, 3 months ago
A larger concentration of college kids and dense population (#s not mindset) in the Northeast make it easier to tour there for many bands playing more shows with less miles and hitting a young market. The larger distances in the west make it tough to tie shows on a tour together for a band in a bus. We still get our share in SF, luckily bands make it a point to play here and we are overstocked with more local bands than you could ever hope to see. Much of the music is free or cheap or free.

We have these small places like the Fox Theatre in Oakland where great local jambands like Furthur play often..Fox Theatre...Furthur...sigh
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#24826 3 years, 3 months ago
all I know is Ohio ain't getting any love at all
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#24832 3 years, 3 months ago
You have Nelson Ledges, that beats anything in the Bay Area IMHO. I dream about going to that place some weekend. Evan seems like a really cool cat.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds