#243658 1 year, 4 months ago
I love Neil!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, kevin
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Am I the only one...

#243666 1 year, 4 months ago
Bob Dylan, I love the guy. I like him more for his song writing more than his singing. Although if it wasnt for jerry and the boys covering his tunes, I wouldnt even listin to him. Jerry made his songs. It took me a while to like dylan playing his own songs. The band/Dylan Pandora station is great. I never heard somebody say that GD was at there lowest point when they started playing dylan tunes. Im a huge fan of them covering dylan.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
CosmicCookie
Senior Boarder
Its dizzying, the possibilities...

#243676 1 year, 4 months ago
big Neil Young fan here! my dad would play Neil albums for me when I was little so I've been a lifelong fan
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry
karenrose
Gold Boarder
What a long, strange trip it's been..

#243691 1 year, 4 months ago
Love Neil. Love Bob.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#243694 1 year, 4 months ago
23atwell wrote:
who doesnt care for Neil Youngs music. I think I am. Ive tried to give it a couple of listins but I find it kinda depressing. I think its the tone of his voice that I dont care for. I was just listing to a song of his on the radio and it sound like a little country with a Hawiaan vibe. I know alot of heads like him though.

I absolutely love Neil!! Recently saw him with Crazy Horse - he was going 100mph the whole show, unreal energy. I've been messing with some of his tunes recently...just learned Hey Hey and am now working on Comes a Time. I do understand what you're saying though as I feel that way about Warren Haynes. I dig the whole thing with the Allmans but anything outside of that I just can't get into it...I think it just comes down to his voice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, 23atwell
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#243696 1 year, 4 months ago
Z Max - That's interesting you say that cause Dylan actually says the opposite. He claims he was getting sloppy and care free and then when he went on tour with the Dead and said he felt a bit guilty. He says they were doing a better job than he was himself with his own songs...says that tour changed the course of his career because he rededicated himself to his music.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by bxorain.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#243700 1 year, 4 months ago
Sustainabill wrote:

I was third row for a show during that tour and let me tell you...testy to say the least. Even for myself, my brother was overseas fighting the war and believed fully in the cause. I wasn't particularly for the war but I never expected that type of show. 75% of the show was geared against slandering George Bush. Got some people really fired up and made for a troublesome crowd...cool to be at but still have mixed emotions about the whole deal...especially for the price of those tickets...ouch
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#243701 1 year, 4 months ago
bxorain wrote:
Z Max - That's interesting you say that cause Dylan actually says the opposite. He claims he was getting sloppy and care free and then when he went on tour with the Dead and said he felt a bit guilty. He says they were doing a better job than he was himself with his own songs...says that tour changed the course of his career because he rededicated himself to his music.
Doesn't really have much relation to what I was saying. Unless of course, like most artists, they have a poor track record with revisionism and taking themselves out of context of time, place, etc. I mean...I'm not arguing with Dylan about his feelings. They were certainly genuine, but it really is inconsequential to what I was saying. The GD were playing Dylan songs 20-30 years old. Whether Dylan was then getting sloppy and nonchalant, decades later, is another conversation all together. What Dylan did with his songs at the time they were written and subsequently toured or whatever, is far removed -and unequivocally for myself- far beyond anything anyone else ever did with them. And like I said, I don't even really care for after he went electric. For this conversation, I care even less for what the GD (and Furthur) did with his songs. Buzzkills in concerts already pretty damn lean with greatness. That shouldn't be misinterpreted with me thinking GD shows of the 80s sucked. They were just so inconsistent and spotty that throwing in a drab Dylan cover was like twisting the arrow in an already gaping wound. So, Dylan self-admitting he was butchering his songs by 1987 doesn't do a thing to counter the opinion that the GD were also butchering Dylan songs in 1987. They can both be true and not in opposition.

EDIT: not rhetorical and a question for Dylanites. Isn't he notorious for having whacky opinions of himself, his music and twisted recollection of his own life? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by ZenoMarx.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#243708 1 year, 4 months ago
Neil is one of my all-time favorites. At one point in high school I wanted to be Neil. A truly uncompromising artist -- which means some people simply aren't going to like what he does. Wish there were more like him.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#243714 1 year, 4 months ago
bxorain wrote:
Sustainabill wrote:

I was third row for a show during that tour and let me tell you...testy to say the least. Even for myself, my brother was overseas fighting the war and believed fully in the cause. I wasn't particularly for the war but I never expected that type of show. 75% of the show was geared against slandering George Bush. Got some people really fired up and made for a troublesome crowd...cool to be at but still have mixed emotions about the whole deal...especially for the price of those tickets...ouch

This video is from the free Concert for Bill Graham at Polo Field, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA on 11/3/91.
It followed 4 shows for Halloween at Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA from October 27 - 31, 1991.
One of us is confused. Do you mean the Fall East Coast Tour that ended on 9/26/91? Didn't the war end in February, 1991?
I remember Robin Williams being a little political, but this crowd of 500,000 was far from troublesome.
Thank You Jerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds