• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

74-09-21 footage

#243276 1 year, 5 months ago

Palais des Sports, Paris, France
September 21, 1974
Single Camera Audience shot (Black and White)
Set 1:
China Doll

Set 2:
Seastones (Partial) ->
End of Playin' In The Band

Set 3:
Row Jimmy
Big River

This footage came to me through a lot of reels that I bought from a guy about 3 years ago. It has taken me a while to get it converted. I had approached Grateful Dead Productions about trying to get it in future DVD, but that never materialized because they were in the process of closing things down.

The footage is far better than the Fillmore footage in quality-- probably shot from a tripod in the balcony somewhere.

This was not a very stable format, so the transfer was very problematic. It is VERY difficult to get a good transfer from these decks. They are very finicky and often times will not play footage from a different type of deck- ie- a Sony EIAJ machine can have difficulty with a reel that was recorded on Panasonic. Furthermore, not too many people are out there that do the transfer. The person who did this had done transfers for the Dead before on 1/2 inch as well as 2 inch video. He did as good a job as could be done with this footage. Im sure that somebody can synch this with the existing audio out there to provide a better experience.

This reel was labeled as Reel 1-- It is my hope that there is a reel 2 out there which will somehow be discovered.

Please chime in with your thoughts on this show-- I am by NO means an expert on GD, and am guessing from the setlist and the markings on the tape reel that this is the 9/21 show in Paris-- Any verification of this would be helpful-

Clip from Jimmy Row is available at-

Also-- if you enjoy this-- I ask that you make a donation to Guitars Not Guns-www.guitarsnotguns.org, a national charity that brings guitar lessons to disadvantaged children. This footage along with the other things I have unearthed was not cheap. If you love progressive metal in the Bay Area, come see my show www.bayarearockfest.com on May 4th and 5th.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: theothrone
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

Re: 74-09-21 footage

#243278 1 year, 5 months ago
Whoa that's cool.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by B-Rad.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#243279 1 year, 5 months ago
Thanks for sharing. always love a good row jimmy and china doll.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by iraqistatefair.
perry
Senior Boarder

#243280 1 year, 5 months ago
Comments are from a reseed from 2007, so tapes were acquired in 2004. There are a few good early GD vids that circulate.
Warlock
Platinum Boarder

#243281 1 year, 5 months ago
this show is being seeded at TTD right now
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#243282 1 year, 5 months ago
thanks that is sweet

so what is the story with the setlist listed? ..... is that what was listed on the reels or is there more then those 2 videos available

would love to see a video of Seastones.... there is one out there but it's real dark and not good quality - hard to see anything.... also it's only a couple minutes

I went threw and listened to every show of 74' except the 2 Paris ones... some select stuff I heard from them sounds special enough like I should save those shows for a nice trip sometime... long over due to listen to the whole shows
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#243287 1 year, 5 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
so what is the story with the setlist listed? ..... is that what was listed on the reels or is there more then those 2 videos available
More than those two videos. It's torrenting with all those tracks listed.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#243295 1 year, 5 months ago
Here is the setlist from this show. This is information that is pretty easy to access. I got it from Deadbase, so here it is:
Palis des Sports
Paris, France
9/21/74
--Set 1:
Bertha
Mexicali
Sugaree
Promised
Peggy-O
Me & My Uncle
Deal
Race Is On
Loose Lucy
El Paso
Eyes>
China Doll
--Set 2: w/ Ned Lagin
Phil & Ned>
Playin>
Drums>
Playin
--Set3: w/ Ned Lagin
Row Jimmy
Big River
Ship Of Fools
Uncle John
Around & Around
Morning Dew
Sugar Magnolia
--Encore:
Casey Jones

This is part of a 7 show European show. I like the playing in 1974. This period is a tough one. The band is less then a month away from taking a year and 1/2 off from touring. There were 4 shows during that year and a half off, plus an album (Blues for Allah)
The following is a statement mailed to deadheads about the break. Robert Hunter may (or may not) have written it, though it does sound like his writing style:

We falter and fall away, nothing holds. Political action is impossible. All we are left with is our arts. I propose we turn our tools away from the service of all but their muses. Great deeds are needed. It is time to retreat. It is time to advance backwards. No longer are there any choices. What a relief.
People tire and you can only do one thing so long. The band is tired of touring for ten years and needs to take a year and go fishing, because they really do. They all have projects they wish to pursue and new material to write. Anyone who does not want them to do it is wanting them to drop dead on the spot through a collective weariness which only a total change can combat.
We mean to keep an office together during the vacation, but revenues will be slight. The Dead Heads list has been turned over to Grateful Dead Records to maintain and to let you know what they're doing - so please be patient if it takes a while to get a response of some sort.
Each of the departments of the Grateful Dead must now become self supporting in order for the organism as a whole to remain healthy. There is a scheme to keep the overall structure intact so that there is something to take care of the details as the show goes back on the road. It is the fine response of Dead Heads over the years which leads us to conclude that there is something worth maintaining and that is what we'e up to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#243326 1 year, 5 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
More than those two videos. It's torrenting with all those tracks listed.

is that torrent available?... or am I missing something

also I wasn't looking to find out the setlist I know they are easy to come across, was just wondering the story with the partial setlist written in the original post

Warlock wrote:
this show is being seeded at TTD right now

alright so what would TTD be?
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by MushroomMan.
Warlock
Platinum Boarder

#243355 1 year, 5 months ago
TTD = The Traders Den.... www.thetradersden.org
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds