• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

Re: Happy Birthday Jackie Gleason & Sustainabill!!

#241138 1 year, 4 months ago
Mr. Bill you've gotten older, many happy returns!
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#241140 1 year, 4 months ago
Happy Birthday to my fellow stream navigator. Thanks for all you do.

So on your day in GD history six shows pop up on archive, including a 95 show that has a real interesting set list but for reasons obvious and unspoken I had to pass on.

There's also a 94 show with a finger-licking good setlist and a 90 show that definitely deserves some furthur exploration, with its Scarlet>Fire>Playin'>Terrapin second set, and first set goodies like Tom Thumbs, Music Never, and Peggy-O.

All three of those were at the Alameda County Colliseum in Oakland. And some on mardi gras.

But I wanted to dig deeper into the bag of tricks. Which brought me to a 1981 show at Uptown Theater in Chicago. An underrated year, that. And far overshadowed by 1977 when they played your birthday show at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernadino.

So it came down to 77 and a monster 1973 show from Pershing Municipal Auditorium in Lincoln, Neb. But that bitch is already a Dick's so you'll have to purchase that or climb an etree for it.

But I wasn't settling, because I chose 77 anyway. With THE FIRST TERRAPIN!!!!!!!!!! (clocking in over 11) as an opener and first Estimated. And there is a Betty board to boot. Some technical difficulties after Terrapin, but life is sweeter for that.

Set 1 Terrapin Station, Minglewood Blues, They Love Each Other, Estimated Prophet, Sugaree, Mama Tried, Deal, Playing In The Band > The Wheel > Playing In The Band

Set 2 Samson & Delilah, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped, Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Promised Land, Eyes Of The World-> Dancin' In The Streets-> Around & Around, E: U.S. Blues

archive.org/details/gd1977-02-26.mtx.sea...trando.110037.flac16

And for some icing on the cake, there is this 58 minute vid from Chateau d'Herouvielle, France 6.21.71. Enjoy it all.

Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#241146 1 year, 4 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Happy Birthday to my fellow stream navigator. Thanks for all you do.

So on your day in GD history six shows pop up on archive, including a 95 show that has a real interesting set list but for reasons obvious and unspoken I had to pass on.

There's also a 94 show with a finger-licking good setlist and a 90 show that definitely deserves some furthur exploration, with its Scarlet>Fire>Playin'>Terrapin second set, and first set goodies like Tom Thumbs, Music Never, and Peggy-O.

All three of those were at the Alameda County Colliseum in Oakland. And some on mardi gras.

But I wanted to dig deeper into the bag of tricks. Which brought me to a 1981 show at Uptown Theater in Chicago. An underrated year, that. And far overshadowed by 1977 when they played your birthday show at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernadino. So it came down to 77

I wore out the tape from 2-26-77 long ago. In 1991, Bill Graham's death ended a New Year's Eve tradition. After a NYE video montage of Bill’s entrances through the years, there were fireworks and then Mickey and Airto led a contingent of drummers from Olatunji’s group onto the stage for a pounding countdown, which led to the midnight songs: “Not Fade Away” > “Eyes of the World.” Without NYE shows, the parades would be found elsewhere.

The Shows in '94 and '95 were very special. The shows in '94 were for Chinese New Year - The Year of the Dog - and that is my sign. The parade was on 2-27-94. Mardi Gras shows took place on February 24, 25, and 26, 1995. This time the parade was on my birthday! Those would be the lasts parades at Dead shows for me, but the spectacle will always be a part of me. Thanks for the reminders of where I've been. There are lots of happy places in my mind!
Thank You Jerry
CosmicCookie
Senior Boarder
Its dizzying, the possibilities...

#241147 1 year, 4 months ago
happy birthday man! thanks for running those setlist threads this past run!
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#241149 1 year, 4 months ago
Once again, happy birthday, Bill. The birthday show that has not come up in conversation but (IMHO) should is from Pershing Municipal Auditorium, Lincoln, NB from 2/26/73. After a couple of first set songs to open the 2nd set ( TLEO, Big River, Tennessee Jed then Cassidy) comes Dark Star > Eyes > Half Step. Phil playing both during this show and the one two nights later (Salt Lake City) is so pleasing. Just my two cents. Oh in case I forgot to mention it, Have a hApPy!
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#241160 1 year, 4 months ago
Hey Bill hope you had a grateful birthday man. Thanks for everything..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#241164 1 year, 4 months ago
Thank You Jerry
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#241165 1 year, 4 months ago
Thank You Jerry
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#241166 1 year, 4 months ago
Thank You Jerry
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#241168 1 year, 4 months ago
Thank You Jerry
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds