• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Could Someone Please Explain...

#240854 1 year, 6 months ago
Chester wrote:
It's different with everyone. Everybody has their loves, and desires. Sometimes it's the music, sometimes it's the company.
Sometimes it's the adventure. Sometimes, it's for nostalgia's sake. For me, some combination of those, plus more.
Also, it's because I can. A couple years ago, I couldn't. I'm just trying to live for the moment.
Who know's what tomorrow will bring.

How could I forget, the adventure and sometimes refered as the trip
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240855 1 year, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
i don't know how much more fucking clear i have to be on this.

i am a fed, they pay me to go on tour. it's my job.

Did you have to pass a urinalysis to get the job?
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#240856 1 year, 6 months ago
Why i go to shows period might be because i attended a jgb show and jerry did some magical vodooo on me and i never was the same.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240858 1 year, 6 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I've only read the first post so far.... for me it seems like I can't get enough, almost like an addiction but I always say and tell myself that I'd much rather be addicted to good live music and a great community of folks then drugs/alcohol oIr something like that...

can't explain what attracts me to the music of the GD over anything else but it's there and I wont deny it.... I can't think of anything better to spend my money on then to make it to as many shows as I can... the music is enough for me and I used to just go see a show and come home but the whole sense of community makes it that much better and makes me want to be a part of as much as I could.... then there's always the sense that we don't know how long it will go on for, every show could be the last....

there is also the fact that so many shows are within 2-3 hours of me, and even if they are 5 or 6 or 7 hours away I still feel like it's to close to miss - cause for how long will I have this many chances to see them so close?

I don't share my love for the GD with anybody back home, except my mom pretty much so it just feels right and like home to be out on the road with the band and the whole community.

I still feel like I can't really explain how I feel, but I guess that's close enough for now

Thanks MM, this sums it up pretty well. You live where its not that far to go see a lot of shows, and so not as inconvenient, so you go a lot. I bet a lot of people would do the same as you if they could. Music first, before the scene got so good too. A healthy alternative as well, very nice. You're the coolest, have fun at the Capitol!!
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Ossumpei.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240860 1 year, 6 months ago
[quote="i_be_sublime" post=240800]alilfurther wrote:
4words : Because I love it !!!!!! You know you ll see me there!!!I love you guys!!!!For me bill it s been a lifelong passion of mine.I started out when i was 19 and some friends of mine pulled up to the house in a rented van and said get the fuck in!I had a million reasons why i couldnt.did nt wanna go no money no weed no nuttin at the time.They said shut up and get in the van!!!!I did.The rest is history as they say.Got in like 35 or maybe 37 jerry shows have to do the math again lol.But i also did that thing where we were sitting on a porch and my friend says hey the dead are playing pine knob michigan in 2 days and we got off the porch and hitchhiked to michigan.My backpack got stolen from the golf course next to the venue cus i was stupid e3nough to let it behind.(lesson learned).Always secure your valuables clothes whatever.But i digress,I love the ff and the folks but for me it always has been and always will be that moment in time when the music hits me and i feel no pain!!!!That show where ya eat just enough L and the band hits there paces and ya start dancing and there is nothing that exists in the whole wide world but that groove,Should you lose that groove and happen to look around and ya see all those colorful people in thier groove well it s hard not to find yours again.So i ll reiterate it s those shows that are down right religious experiences!!!!!!!!!Syracuse on 11/11/11 was the last 1 of those for me.The right combo of L the people i was surrounded by(big what up strick) and the band just pouring there hearts out to me yeah just me screw those other hippys round me you played all those songs cus I needed them that night i needed the love and the direction.To come out and be speechless and all my friends saying wow over and over cus the band played to just them as well that night and they were speechless as well.1 DAY I SHALL BE RELEASED!!! The music takes me away from the pain of my past and the mundane everyday existence.Throw in the most awesome people you ll ever meet and well all of a sudden ya have a greatful dead family and ya just wanna keep that trucking on!!!!Hope it helps cus i could have wrote ya a book on that 1 lol.Hope to see you again soon bill.On an edit tip it has happened to me without the L as well.1 of my favorite shows was the mann center just recently last 2 yrs i think although 3 years ago with the 2 night stand was a blast lol i think it was the year after but again it was who was around me and the band hitting that groove that only they can again jmho.

Well you covered a lot of it in this. The road freedom, scene, music, adventure. musical bliss. A bit of it all. people go to a lot of shows to recreate or find new all the stuff you posted. That's why people go to a lot of shows.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240861 1 year, 6 months ago
RowTimmy wrote:
Bill, it's simple really.....I just love it. This music somehow touches me in a way nothing else does. When life piles on the responsibilities and stresses, a show melts all that away and more then that it refills me with peace and joy. I haven't found anything else that can do that for me. Through the scene I've met many people that I've come to love like family and miss when unable to attend. I'd travel just to see these people even if there wasn't a show. How can you get enough of that?

You were one of the people I had in mind when I wrote this because I know you go a lot. Living where you do is a huge plus, but moving there took some serious commitment. Props to you. I knew you loved the music when we were talking at RR, I could tell, and I wanted to find out why. Thanks for an interesting answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RowTimmy
MossMan
Fresh Boarder

#240863 1 year, 6 months ago
I've been a deadhead since I was 15, but that was in '97, so no jerry for me...saw ratdog, phil and the other ones a handful of times. Those groups were good, but never motivated to go out of my way to see em. Now I''ve been to about 20 furthur shows. The main reason I keep going is that the music can be so trancendent....the magic lies in the fact that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. After you've experienced the band truly reaching for the gold ring, you wonder why they don't do it every time; of course the answer is that they don't have control over such things. Fate decides whether it's a truly a life altering event or just a good concert. Furthur Flower- those Eugene shows in '11 were my first west coast shows too... holy shit, I swear it was the best weekend of my life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240865 1 year, 6 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
5 in a year is more than enough for me, and being a Midwesterner, that hasn't happened in a while. I'm not a great traveler. I'm a homebody. I think touring sounds fun and is something easily envious, but I also know myself well enough that it isn't for me. I've also learned that after three shows, I need a break. I plateau at three, and then it is a quick slide downwards. I stop appreciating the music, the experience, the ability to watch Phil and the drummer, etc. A tedium sets in, and that isn't something I want to happen. I'm not interested in struggling with it as a task. There's enough tedium in life that I don't need to invite it into something so sacred, and by knowing when it does indeed seep into it, I can cut it off at the pass and disinvite it. If I lived around the corner from TC, maybe I'd feel differently. I'd like to hope so. Then again, unless there is a trust fund waiting to drop on me that I don't know about, the financials would quickly curb that situation.

Touring was the bomb when I was younger. Of course, I lived in a van, was already packed, and could make money anywhere. These days its different, but the quick downslide after three shows is part of my question. I'm in the same boat. I can only soak up so many good vibes and I'm full. Maybe I walk around everyday in pretty good frame of mind and three shows is plenty to hold me for a while. These are all good reasons to not go a lot, and I agree with them. It becomes work, tedium, a task. Some folks go to church three times a week, once a week, only on holidays etc. Same can be said about shows I guess.

I'm in the need to go less to get my spiritual fill, but I still need to go.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#240868 1 year, 6 months ago
Thanks for starting a thread that doesnt cause others to descend to name calling.
Its very interesting to hear other peoples responses. I cant explain what it is for me, but when I was at a GD show, there simply wasnt anywhere else I wanted to be. I remember my first show in Buffalo 1993, being on the floor of Rich Stadium, and looking up and around at the crowd just grooving in unison like they were one entity. Ill never forget that moment and have been hooked ever since. I cant believe this year will be 20 years since then.
I guess its a combination of great music and great vibes and (for the most part) great people.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor, bxorain
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240879 1 year, 6 months ago
Vegas 93 was like that for me.

Being in that crowd and having so much fun.

I knew I was going to do tours and make a lot of shows after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#240894 1 year, 6 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
Of all people I can see why with you Burt.

Studying the bass and dissecting live music can be a heck of a method to boost you're music career.

Oh yeah, and the fed thing too.

you got it man. i have always known since i first saw phil on stage playing a 6 string bass that that was what i wanted to do, and it's what i will do. i have filled my time with useless jobs to make money and go on tour but i am at a point where i am sick of the scene. the music is my passion, not going to shows.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
stricken
Gold Boarder

#240904 1 year, 6 months ago
For me its the sonic implosion that just seems to know the pathway to my brain that turns on a switch that makes me twist,shout and sometimes shake them bones.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds