• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

Re: Could Someone Please Explain...

#240811 1 year, 1 month ago
see you soon JR!!!!! love ya man !!!! we got the 23rd and 24th I can not friggin wait too long since red rocks !!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#240813 1 year, 1 month ago
Ossumpei wrote:
I think its going to be different reasons for different folks.

I definitely started seeing Furthur to continue my GD experiences. They were so much fun and such an important part in my life that I plan on continuing them for as long as I can.

For some people I believe that its more than that. The music in and of itself has an affect that draws them back, like a moth before a flame. But, there's other types of live music available, closer and more accessible.

I'm starting to think it is actually the scene, because of its uniqueness and beauty, which is inherent in all GD type shows.

I'm sure there's lots of opinions on this though.

Have fun at the Bob shows!!

I have noticed not much of a "Deadhead or Furthur following out here just a Las Vegas Jamband Society that I learned existed at a Mickey Hart band show at the Hard Rock Cafe on the strip once. So, I guess it makes me happy to be together with people that love discussing and listening to this music and all it's offshoot spin off ish things!
It's my Friday so I'm writing enthusiastically .
Love you guys and can't wait till next LEFT COAST show.
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240828 1 year, 1 month ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
Yes there are many different reasons why I travel. Here is my story....

Of course I love the music, the people, and lastly I love checking out new places I've never been...

Furthur has brought me all around this country. I visited places I never imagined I could have went to. They gave me the push to get out there! I love them for that! And wont stop til they stop!

I love the Grateful Dead, I love Furthur, and I love you!

As far as the travel opportunities go, it sure beats the military, don't it?
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240829 1 year, 1 month ago
Lots of excellent answers as expected.

Would you say more the music or more the scene?

Thanks to everyone for giving examples of why you love it.

And everyone thinks the more the merrier? You couldn't be happy with two or three a year.

Back in the GD days I wanted to make as many as I could. Each show was unpredictable and had a place in history. Potentially even great. The scene was unlike anything I've ever experienced before or since. Making it into a show was a bit of a personal victory.

Much the same with Furthur, though not as big in scope, and not quite the event it used to be. But still plenty fun. They are on a limited time frame unfortunately, and that has some bearing on the number to make also.

It is my chosen place to go party, have fun, be part of something bigger than myself that's positive and it fulfills something in me I don't find elsewhere.

I guess I happen to see it like this though. If I had season tickets to baseball, by the end of the season I would resent having to go to all the games. The work, parking, weather, good days, bad ones etc. I am happy going to see them infrequently and catching up on home media. Not knocking those who go all the time here ok. I just find my fun going on occasion and not to every one. Try not to be to mad at me for it. Different opinions can make for good conversation.

Ok back to the question, why so many. Lol. Is there something more that happens at 30 shows a year than 5?
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by Ossumpei.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#240832 1 year, 1 month ago
i don't know how much more fucking clear i have to be on this.

i am a fed, they pay me to go on tour. it's my job.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, iamthedoor, alilfurther, theothrone
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#240836 1 year, 1 month ago
Of all people I can see why with you Burt.

Studying the bass and dissecting live music can be a heck of a method to boost you're music career.

Oh yeah, and the fed thing too.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Chester
More or less in line

#240841 1 year, 1 month ago
It's different with everyone. Everybody has their loves, and desires. Sometimes it's the music, sometimes it's the company.
Sometimes it's the adventure. Sometimes, it's for nostalgia's sake. For me, some combination of those, plus more.
Also, it's because I can. A couple years ago, I couldn't. I'm just trying to live for the moment.
Who know's what tomorrow will bring.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther, kevin, 23atwell
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#240844 1 year, 1 month ago
I've only read the first post so far.... for me it seems like I can't get enough, almost like an addiction but I always say and tell myself that I'd much rather be addicted to good live music and a great community of folks then drugs/alcohol or something like that...

I can't explain what attracts me to the music of the GD over anything else but it's there and I wont deny it.... I can't think of anything better to spend my money on then to make it to as many shows as I can... the music is enough for me and I used to just go see a show and come home but the whole sense of community makes it that much better and makes me want to be a part of as much as I could.... then there's always the sense that we don't know how long it will go on for, every show could be the last....

there is also the fact that so many shows are within 2-3 hours of me, and even if they are 5 or 6 or 7 hours away I still feel like it's to close to miss - cause for how long will I have this many chances to see them so close?

I don't share my love for the GD with anybody back home, except my mom pretty much so it just feels right and like home to be out on the road with the band and the whole community.

I still feel like I can't really explain how I feel, but I guess that's close enough for now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Chester
More or less in line

#240850 1 year, 1 month ago
"It's an obsession. But its pleasin'."
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#240851 1 year, 1 month ago
RowTimmy wrote:
Bill, it's simple really.....I just love it. This music somehow touches me in a way nothing else does. When life piles on the responsibilities and stresses, a show melts all that away and more then that it refills me with peace and joy. I haven't found anything else that can do that for me. Through the scene I've met many people that I've come to love like family and miss when unable to attend. I'd travel just to see these people even if there wasn't a show. How can you get enough of that?

Couldnt say any better. I dont get to attend to as many shows anymore due to kids and money but if the kids were out and I was older, thats were I go to feel spirtitual and it truly makes me a better person. Im just drawn to deadheads and get along with them. Its not everyday I get to share my life with people like me. So when im at shows I get it and its beutiful. I wish could go to more, but grateful for what I have. Pluse the music is the BEST!!! and so is the danncing
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by 23atwell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, AcidTestGraduate, RowTimmy
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240852 1 year, 1 month ago
One of my all time favorite quotes. Have heard it's attributable to Robert Hunter, but not 100% sure. Anyway....

To those who know, no words are necessary. To those who don't know, there aren't enough words to describe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, bxorain, SunshineSue, 23atwell, Iriecycle
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#240853 1 year, 1 month ago
5 in a year is more than enough for me, and being a Midwesterner, that hasn't happened in a while. I'm not a great traveler. I'm a homebody. I think touring sounds fun and is something easily envious, but I also know myself well enough that it isn't for me. I've also learned that after three shows, I need a break. I plateau at three, and then it is a quick slide downwards. I stop appreciating the music, the experience, the ability to watch Phil and the drummer, etc. A tedium sets in, and that isn't something I want to happen. I'm not interested in struggling with it as a task. There's enough tedium in life that I don't need to invite it into something so sacred, and by knowing when it does indeed seep into it, I can cut it off at the pass and disinvite it. If I lived around the corner from TC, maybe I'd feel differently. I'd like to hope so. Then again, unless there is a trust fund waiting to drop on me that I don't know about, the financials would quickly curb that situation.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Time to create page: 0.96 seconds