• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Barlow tells of writing Cassidy

#240278 1 year, 6 months ago
Getting that Cassidy out of Help>Slip last night jogged my memory about a Barlow piece I read a while back, telling about the writing of Cassidy.

If you like that song, I think you'll really enjoy reading it.

www.litkicks.com/BarlowOnNeal#.USpfKPIk6So

The following user(s) said Thank You: DigiGal, drpsilocybo
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Barlow tells of writing Cassidy

#240315 1 year, 6 months ago
Thank you for posting this. Cassidy has always been one of my favorite Dead tunes and I knew the bare bones of this story. But this is such a rich -- and well written -- tale. I don't think Barlow gets enough credit
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240386 1 year, 6 months ago
Terrapin Sedation, thank you for posting this. What a fascinating story. Of course everyone knows of the Cassady/Cassidy connection, but to hear Barlow tell the story in his own eloquent way was enlightening and entertaining. It never fails to
impress when I think of the rich history of this music, and how beneficial the music was to have such extraordinary
lyricists. Neal Cassady sure provided some good subject matter!

hb.jpeg

thanks guys!
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#240424 1 year, 6 months ago
wow - talk about cosmic. i just threw the Red rocks furthur from 2011 CD back in my truck. I needed something other than fm radio and its one of the few bootlegs i have of gd music. The Cassidy is really good and ive been listening to the crap out of it all day today and yesterday. The song has always been a favorite, but has been like a long lost friend giving me a big warm hug.
It is missing that stellar Garcia lead but all be damn the song remains the same....what a masterpiece !! Lesh and Russo are just on fire with this tune - and its more than just a song - always has been. I have seen where the wolf has slept by the silver stream
cant wait to read this story- thank U
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#240815 1 year, 6 months ago
Are there any recordings or video footage of Neal Cassady speaking? I know he's in Sunshine Daydream, but the film is the backdrop for the music.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#240816 1 year, 6 months ago
Awesome! I was just listening to the Cassidy from Saturday, love this song.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240826 1 year, 6 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Are there any recordings or video footage of Neal Cassady speaking? I know he's in Sunshine Daydream, but the film is the backdrop for the music.

AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240827 1 year, 6 months ago

can't remember what show, but I have on a tape where Neal is on stage with the Dead and they let him rap. He talks about
mistaking the vicks vapo rub for vaseline and other assorted subjects. He was one of a kind.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#240831 1 year, 6 months ago
I'm guilty of having a very low tolerance for people on speed. The uncontrollable hand movements and constant body shifting makes me want to leave the area. One of the books about the GD mentions a situation when Neal was driving around San Francisco at high speeds and doing twenty other things while he was driving. It was intended to highlight how he could multitask and how everyone around him just sat there entertained and amazed. Aside from the dangerous driving, the rest of the account just made me feel uncomfortable. But I do appreciate that he was well-loved and admired. There was obviously something about him that was special. Like anyone else, you get inside and find something completely different. I'm curious to know if he ever listened to anyone. In other words, was he a constant transmitter and never the receiver. listening is central to GD music, and listening is central to relationships. I put a hell of a lot of value on whether someone is a good listener or not.

The craft of oration. Definitely a dead art.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#240834 1 year, 6 months ago
Zeno, you might want to revisit some of Kerouac's books and I think you'll find he did listen.

What I've concluded is Cassady was always expected to be "on" like a phonograph or a juke box. Keep pumpin' it out baby, we dig what you're doing. He was also a legend by the time he was amongst the Pranksters, so he was sort of the celebrity of the group.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds